2019 Chevy Silverado 3.0L I-6 diesel

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
So, when is this inline-6 diesel supposed to be available? The original article is from January of 2018, it is now March of 2019, the 2019 models are now on dealers' lots, but that engine is nowhere in sight. At least I could not find it on either NADA or KBB. Does anyone know what the story is?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I heard the reveal is at the '19 NY auto show. It was supposed to be launched at the Detroit show in January, but the government shutdown delayed EPA approval. Or so they say.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I went to an AC-Delco sponsored training class on GM diesels last year, and it was not a subject of their class, nor was it in their training book (all their other diesels were).

The instructor, when questioned by several people attending, knew about the engine and knew where it was being assembled, but that was about it.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
I heard the reveal is at the '19 NY auto show. It was supposed to be launched at the Detroit show in January, but the government shutdown delayed EPA approval. Or so they say.
I have gathered that too, I wonder if RAM is holding their cards to trump them with power/MPG numbers, or if they are delayed too. RAM is the class leader on the mid-sized diesels. GM's 4-cylinder Colorado/Canyon seems to be a flop, barely able to get 30 MPG highway, hardly better than the V6 full-sized RAM.
Looks like both GM and RAM are skipping the 2019 model year mid-sized truck diesels and going for 2020.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd have to agree with oilhammer's assesment of the packaging around the 3.0L diesel. Besides the shortbed limitation, the Silverado's tow capacity and vehicle weight capacity is put to shame by both the F150 and Ram 1500. Why put a hard working diesel in a chassis that isn't up to it?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
...and watch the diesels end up with lower tow ratings than the gassers.

(The Jeep Gladiator is apparently running into that, due to cooling issues with the intercooler restricting airflow and putting hotter air into the radiator, meaning it can't tow as much on the Davis Dam test.)

Granted, full-size trucks have a lot more grille area to work with, but still...

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
I'd have to agree with oilhammer's assessment of the packaging around the 3.0L diesel. Besides the shortbed limitation, the Silverado's tow capacity and vehicle weight capacity is put to shame by both the F150 and Ram 1500. Why put a hard working diesel in a chassis that isn't up to it?
I am getting a feeling the 3L diesels are targeted as Daily drivers/weekend haulers.

The Duramax, Superduty and Cummins are targeted as daily work trucks, and hauler haulers.

I still laugh at the 2005 Rangers running around in Napa decals and I wonder why the new Ranger is almost the same size as the F150, just like the Colorado/Canyon reboots are within 10% of the same size as the 1500's.
I have noticed some of the daily courier's are migrating to the Transit Connects and Dodge promaster setups, but what is wrong with the small truck market?

What gets me is they are offering the GM 1500 with an optional 4-cylinder engine....

oilhammer

TDI
You must have a very different ruler than I do. In no way is the Colorado close in size to the Silverado. I've had both of them lifted up on my rack, pretty big difference. And actually, I would have thought the Colorado's interior, at least the driver's fore-aft room, would have been better than it is. But my 6'1" fat ass needs the seat all the way back just to fit, and it isn't all that comfortable even then. Tolerable, but not comfortable. A Cruze actually allows me more leg room.

The most common wheelbase Silverados are a whole foot longer than the Colorado, FWIW. And they can be even longer if you get the full 8ft bed (you cannot get ANY kind of long bed on the Colorado, just short and shorter).

As far as who they are marketed to, well, that is certainly debatable , but as far as who is actually driving them, I'd say around here the VAST majority of any full sized pickup, no matter its "tonnage" or source of propulsion, are driven as daily drivers with only one occupant most of the time. Majority of the fleets are actually NOT diesels, too. Sure, the big cab chassis ones often are (although not always) but many of the standard pickups purchased by companies or gov't departments are the standard V8 gasoline engine.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
So, when is this inline-6 diesel supposed to be available? The original article is from January of 2018, it is now March of 2019, the 2019 models are now on dealers' lots, but that engine is nowhere in sight. At least I could not find it on either NADA or KBB. Does anyone know what the story is?
Supposedly, you can now order one. It's been mentioned on the Ram website but haven't see any official pricing or availability yet. Speculation is an upcharge of about $4000 for the diesel.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I have gathered that too, I wonder if RAM is holding their cards to trump them with power/MPG numbers, or if they are delayed too. RAM is the class leader on the mid-sized diesels. GM's 4-cylinder Colorado/Canyon seems to be a flop, barely able to get 30 MPG highway, hardly better than the V6 full-sized RAM.
Looks like both GM and RAM are skipping the 2019 model year mid-sized truck diesels and going for 2020.
Not sure that the diesel canyon/Colorado are flops. GM limited the total number of engines available for the North American market and when I was looking for one last year, they were few and far between. I think there were three in the Charlotte area and only one had the longer bed. Towing on the small GMs is about 7500 pounds, which is the same as the smaller axle Ram.

FCA has already announced that there will be no 2019 ecodiesels. 2018s are still being produced, so why muddy the waters.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Although I do like the ride of a half ton silverado, I like the towing of the 1 ton cummins.

Im getting used to the ride of the first Dodge Ive ever owned. Grew up in a "family of fine automobiles", was the first to love the ride of a bowtie, and now first of my fam to own a cummins 5.9L HO. Im now a chevy guy with no chevies, except older pre-60s with LS engines.

Every since learning of the eco-diesel I always thought it would be a good idea for GM to offer something comparable. I've even dreamed of squeezing a 5.9L into an Escalade, but it just won't fit without extensive surgery and not sure how the IFS would hold up to a cast iron everything that takes 3 gallons of oil. I was really excited when GM prototyped that 4.5L Duramax to fit into anything that would carry a SBC, but then cost of production outweighed ROI. (ref http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lmk/)

I guess we will see what GMs answer will be to the 1/2 ton full size diesel race.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Rumor was that the 3.0L was originally planned for use in a Cadillac when diesels were on the rise in passenger cars. We all know what happened there.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's supposedly the first generation of the V6 that Ram uses. Not a direct linage to the straight 6 that GM is using.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Really. I thought it was the inline 6. But the whole VM/GM diesel engine relationship is confusing to me. The more I learn the less I know about it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I believe the 2.8 in the colorado/canyon is derived from a VM design. Afaik, the 3.0 is a clean sheet design and all GM.

oilhammer

TDI
That's awesome. Let's see how they package it, though. Great MPG means less if you have to spend $50k to get it.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
That's awesome. Let's see how they package it, though. Great MPG means less if you have to spend $50k to get it.
Looks like it is a $2500 add on in the LT, RST, LTZ, High Country lines:
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/07/20...esel-wow-the-official-mpg-is-a-surprise-news/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDOuXuxbfCo

So starting at $42k+ (even the V6 4x4 work truck is $40,000 :eek:)

2020 RAM numbers haven't been released yet, bet they are somewhere in the 30-34MPG range for the 2wd.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
The 3.0L Duramax diesel has been emissions certified by CARB, which should remove all of the regulatory hurdles for this engine to be available for sale there.

EPA emissions certification should be just a formality at this point.

oilhammer

TDI
Looks like it is a $2500 add on in the LT, RST, LTZ, High Country lines:
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/07/20...esel-wow-the-official-mpg-is-a-surprise-news/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDOuXuxbfCo
So starting at $42k+ (even the V6 4x4 work truck is $40,000 :eek:)
2020 RAM numbers haven't been released yet, bet they are somewhere in the 30-34MPG range for the 2wd.

So, yeah, an out of the financial grasp of most people who want one scenario. I figured as much. Once again, GM following Ford. The diesel F150 "starts" at $46k, though. :rolleyes:

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
So, yeah, an out of the financial grasp of most people who want one scenario. I figured as much. Once again, GM following Ford. The diesel F150 "starts" at $46k, though. :rolleyes:
I still do not get all new full sized trucks starting at $40k, but then dropping instinctive to make them in the low $30k range to be "affordable".
Then you look at used truck which are $2,000 cheaper than new.

oilhammer

TDI
Well, they DON'T start at $40k. They start around $27-28k. Still a lot of money, but given the bang for the buck and some of the technology they have over the older ones, it is not surprising. I am not sure a 2019 F150, starting at $28,155 is worth *exactly* twice what my 1996 sold for. But adjusted for inflation that may not be all that bad of a deal.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I wished/hoped! My 2010 BMW X5 d35 3.0L I-6 BLEW at only 113,000 miles!!! :mad:
Details please...I have 125k very hard miles on my modded 335d and 93k on the wife’s X5 35d slightly less modded but she definitely drives hers harder than I do mine.

Other than oil changes, fuel and air filters I’ve had to do cbu cleaning on mine once. I did have to replace glow plugs and plug module on mine but hers has needed nothing beyond pm.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's a pretty good number for an off the line test. Coming back from Iowa over the last two days, I averaged about 24 mpg in my Ram ED for the 1200 miles. Best tank was 27 mpg for 440 miles with the first third to half of the tank on state roads at 60 mph.