CP3 HPFP on my 2010 Golf 2.0L TDI

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
What Timk said...
Though I think that if you don't have plans beyond stage 2 then the stock pump and andrew's kit will cover most folks :cool:
Stage 3 or higher? get the CP3.
Agreed but from what I have read the cp3 has little chance of failure. Possibly more peace of mind than just containing the swarf.

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
Agreed but from what I have read the cp3 has little chance of failure. Possibly more peace of mind than just containing the swarf.
If you can sell the old HPFP and fuel pump for about the same price as CP3 and adapter, then it's only the labor cost which I'd consider cheap insurance.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Any flow numbers on the cp3? I was doing some looking up an 3l the cp4 turns at 75% of crank and cp3 at 66%, seems they always want too match amount of pump strokes to the engine strokes. Now it that seems not neccesary, one could use cp3 pump on 3l and spin it at 75%, that be over 450 hp worth of fuel in the v6 application

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
At 123,000 miles with original HPFP.
This Bosch CP3 looks interesting! No aux pump either. Interesting that the fuel managment system doesn't know/care that the Aux pump is unplugged.

Subscribed.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
If you can sell the old HPFP and fuel pump for about the same price as CP3 and adapter, then it's only the labor cost which I'd consider cheap insurance.
I doubt anyone would buy a used VW HPFP, that sounds like a terrible idea

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Are any software updates needed when the CP3 is used? My guess is no, but I'm curious.

WalkingDrunken

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
I think this is a no software update needed mod, turbobrick240, but confirmation on this from a guru would be nice.

Also when can we expect some prices to be listed?

camboscams

TDI
2014 JSW Stg 2 Malone, CP3 HPFP
^^^^ Yep, no software update needed. Pure plug and play! I'm installing mine in the next few weeks, and i'm very excited. Andrew has been awesome to deal with!

WalkingDrunken

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
Perfect! Plug and play makes it even easier.

Are you guys doing the timing belt when you're going in there anyways, even if it's not time? Does install require the timing belt tools?

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Perfect! Plug and play makes it even easier.

Are you guys doing the timing belt when you're going in there anyways, even if it's not time? Does install require the timing belt tools?
Timing belt change would really be dependent on if you are near your next change IMO. I had just changed mine 20,000 miles ago, so I didn't change it. But, it can't hurt of course. And yes, timing belt tools will be needed. Lock the crank and camshaft. No more having to lock the HPFP, though :D

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Are any software updates needed when the CP3 is used? My guess is no, but I'm curious.
Hello All!!!
Nice to Paulinski up and running!!! Awesome Pauli!! Good to see rock solid 2000 bar output as well.
Turbobrick (Volvo), no software changes are required, as mentioned by other members.
The Kit will suit a completely bone stock car 100%. At this time, the way the kit is configured, up to stage 3 "Custom" tune is also satisfactory.
By removing the factory Electric Aux pump and simply unplugging it, no harm is done. The Aux pump only receives a 12 volt DC signal, with nothing to monitor the output pressure or electrical draw. The new CP3 HPFP has the nicest gear to gear positive displacement pump feeding non stop fuel pressure to the HP plungers. Those gears also makes the sweetest mechanical music whine at low RPM's!!!

This cool Video has been seen before, but worth another view or 2!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-CNXDs9208
Neat drawing showing the internals:

I designed the kit to be 100% bolt on, plug and play.
Yes, a full timing belt removal and install procedure is required.
At minimum, proper timing belt tools, new One Time use VW bolts for the Harmonic balancer, Camshaft Sprocket and HPFP sprocket bolts, are required, plus the nut for the Tensioner.
Sure, if your belt is close to being due, then its a perfect time!
I'll get a few more kits out for testing, looking forward to seeing them out there!!!
Special thanks to the first few Pioneers!!! Kudos to you guys for willing to experiment!!!
Thanks!!
Andrew

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those gears would make a swiss watchmaker drool! I've got a timing belt due pretty soon, would love to try one of these beauties out on my golf. Thanks for the effort in developing this. A+

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
Andrew,

Please put me on your list.

I'm at 123,000 miles on the original HPFP. The cost of a failure would be hard to swallow at this point. I'm hoping I can install your CP3A kit with a new timing belt kit as soon as possible.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Just a question, but does installing this CP3 pump, have any bad or good effect on our damn emissions components, for those that still have them?

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Just a question, but does installing this CP3 pump, have any bad or good effect on our damn emissions components, for those that still have them?
The kit was originally designed to work 100% with all the factory equipment. Let's move this discussion over to here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=367804

I'll post up some findings there, for discussion, rather than clog up Yukons "racing" version thread.
Thanks!!
Andrew

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Sorry for the ignorance, but what is CP3 pump and is it immune to hand grenadine failures like the stock HPFP....

I looked at Andrews experimentation thread.... still who makes it, what was the original application and why does VW not use it?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Sorry for the ignorance, but what is CP3 pump and is it immune to hand grenadine failures like the stock HPFP....

I looked at Andrews experimentation thread.... still who makes it, what was the original application and why does VW not use it?
The CP3 has been around for quite a while and it has been used in many (bigger) diesel engines. The biggest difference between the CP3 and our CP4.1 is that the CP3 has 3 pistons instead of one. Therefore, it can pump more fuel with shorter piston strokes. This has several advantages and at the top of that list is reliability. It has been a rock solid performer in many engines running on crappy American diesel fuel. It also pumps more fuel with less engine power, plus the pumping strokes do not have to be as precisely timed with fuel injections. It appears to be (pretty much) "immune to the hand grenade failures".

I am not positive of all of the original applications (I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks), but it is made by Bosch just like our CP4.1. As to why VW didn't use it, your guess is as good as mine, but I suspect cost was a major consideration.

Have Fun!

Don

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup, cost was the (in)consideration. The cp3.2 in Andrew's kit is the same as used on jeep liberty 2.8 cr, and I believe also the bmw 335d(among many others). I have one ready to go on as soon as my timing belt parts come in. Thanks Andrew!

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Hit 5,000 miles since I installed the new CP3 pump on a drive this morning, running beautiful! Half the time I forget I even installed the new pump. Have to say thanks again to Andrew (2Micron), with his help the worries I had about this car are now gone...and I can just ENJOY it :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's awesome yukon! I do a lot of road tripping with my golf, and it will be so nice not to have concerns about a grenading hpfp in the back of my mind.

VeedUp

TDI
2011 RS JSW
This looks like a must for peace of mind at the TB change. The wife's JSW is only at 60k right now, but it won't be long before she gets to a 100k. Where do we order this kit?