First road trip in 2013 Jetta TDI

JettaNocona

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI;2013 Jetta Sedan TDI w/Premium
Saturday, September 14 will be the first road trip for my new '13 Jetta TDI. Not a long one, but enough to see what it will do on the interstate. Traveling from home, near the Red River in Texas, south to Galveston, TX for a cruise. And then back home on the 19th. Mostly 75 mph speed limits but some 65 in counties not willing to raise the limit. I've only got 4000 miles so far and know it ain't near broke in. But I'm curious about the fuel mileage. Did the same trip in April 2013 in a '09 Jetta TDI with 50,000 miles and averaged about 45 mph. And yes, I sprung for inside parking this time. The '09 sat outside for 7 days waiting for our return.:cool:

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
Should be fun. At those speeds you'll probably see an indicated 40-ish mpg. I live in Houston and my actual average is about 37 mpg with Texas highway speeds. You'll see over 50 if you keep your foot out of it though....but on I-45 that might not always be a good idea especially through Dallas.

sclevine

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
I bet you'll see low 40s, and better if you have a tailwind! I find the wind conditions definitely affect mileage on long trips. I personally find even when I'm somewhere with 70 or 75 limit, I still stick to the mid to upper 60's, so I can see that MPG at its best!

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
In the West with usually long distances to travel and sparse traffic driving at 60 mph on an interstate will have tractor trailer rigs pushing you down the road. On 2 lane rural highways in Montana the speed limit is 70 mph, and if you don't mind having 3/4T pickups blowing by at 70-75 or more go for it. Driving from Thermopolis, WY, towards Yellowstone NP I passed some pickups pulling horse trailers who were driving 50-55. When the road levelled out they blew by us at easily 75-85 while I was driving 65-70.

On fairly level ground and without stiff headwinds or crosswinds and driving so as not to get run over you should have no trouble seeing over 40 easily, likely 45 mpg, maybe more.

JettaNocona

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI;2013 Jetta Sedan TDI w/Premium
Results are in. Going to Galveston, 403 miles, 75 mph in that speed limit, 65 all other times. 44 mpg average. From Galveston to house, 403 miles, never exceeded 65 mph, (got the finger from some drivers passing me on I-45), 60 south of Dallas and through Dallas then back to 65 mph to Gainesville and on to house. 52 mpg

Now planning trip to Branson, MO after Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

TiggyTDI

TDI
TDI
Results are in. Going to Galveston, 403 miles, 75 mph in that speed limit, 65 all other times. 44 mpg average. From Galveston to house, 403 miles, never exceeded 65 mph, (got the finger from some drivers passing me on I-45), 60 south of Dallas and through Dallas then back to 65 mph to Gainesville and on to house. 52 mpg

Now planning trip to Branson, MO after Thanksgiving.
You might be getting the finger but they proly aren't even getting 35 :D

Destr0

TDI
2013 Jetta Premium DSG
Very nice! I am heading out Thursday for a 6 hour road trip to KY (from just outside Chicago). The day we got the TDI we drove 2.5 hours and got an indicated 55 MPG cruising at 60 MPH. 2200 miles later and we are still sitting at 44 MPG indicated. I have been too lazy to do the calculations by hand - but I have been recording the miles and gallons so I can sit down and put it in excel. Wish I had thought to put in what the indicated MPG was at each fill up so I could see how it compares.

Cheers and have a safe fun road trip!

~Kevin

McDillon86

TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDi, 2012 VW Jetta TDi w/premium sound
Im making my first road trip Thursday night, in my Brand new 2012 Jetta tdi it only has 5k miles on it and ill be going to KY from Dallas, Texas a good 14hr drive.

gtab55

TDI
TDI
Just came back from Las Vegas on a marathon trip in less than 24 hours. Total 788 miles driven and average return MPG was 49.8 with 60-65 speeds. Total fuel consumption was 16.5 gallons.