Hi. My name is Lisa.

lkct01234

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
I'm new to the group - both the forum and...was a TDI virgin until last Saturday :) Got an '03 Jetta TDI (GLS Wagon, MT) from a Toyota dealer here - got super lucky. It was the trim, the color, MT and within our price range! I liked getting it from a dealer - they didn't care that it was an "in-demand" car or making tons of money from it (like 7K OVER what KBB was, unlike a place in Bellevue I went to...) they just wanted to sell a car! :) This one was only a few K over the KBB price - which I really don't get why KBB is so low - cuz you CAN NOT find a TDI close to their price!

It's my first "soccer mom" car - but I totally love it! I had a Scion xB before this one (manual also) - the acceleration/power/torque is pretty similar and decent enough for me. The car had just under 114K miles on it when we got it. So...it's just getting warmed up.

Of course it has a few dents, etc. But it is in pretty good condition. Dealer said there is a leaky head gasket and the AC compressor needs to be replaced. Also the brakes shake a bit at high speeds. Found a local place - guy seems nice - and they work on diesels. Got a quote from him for the head gasket & compressor and it was about 1/5th of what the dealer said it would take.

Although...I'm not your "average girl". I worked in diesel engines for about 5 years (have a Mechanical Engineer degree - that I don't currently use too much...) Although the engines I worked with were heavy duty - "smallest" one was 6L.

Anyway...I didn't really see an "introduction" thread - so I thought I'd say hi. I hope to do a few things to it myself...toying with what I want to do - if anything - with the in-dash stereo. It is "just" a CD player and it also has a TAPE player - which I think is awesome in the nostalgic way :) However, I'd really like an aux connection and/or bluetooth capabilities. I found a Clarion on Crutchfield that i liked...but funds aren't super plentiful until I get the money back from trading/selling the xB.

Anyway - I'm up for meetups in the Seattle area. Or nearish by??

P.S. I LOVED getting "dies" (pronounced dees - cuz saying "diesel" takes too long :-D) yesterday at Fred Meyer - for 2 cents more than regular gas and knowing that the tank will last me 500+ miles :-D Just bummed Costco doesn't carry diesel :( Although I think we'll be seeing an increase in passenger diesels - and might be able to convince Costco it's worth it!

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Hello Lisa, I doubt you'll see me anywhere near Seattle but welcome in all the same.

Wouldn't writing diesel have been quicker than dies then the explanation? :D

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
...The car had just under 114K miles on it when we got it.
... Dealer said there is a leaky head gasket and the AC compressor needs to be replaced. Also the brakes shake a bit at high speeds. Found a local place - guy seems nice - and they work on diesels. Got a quote from him for the head gasket & compressor and it was about 1/5th of what the dealer said it would take.
Welcome to the club, Lisa.

I'm not sure who the local tdiclub recommended shop/guru is, but I'd get a second opinion on the leaky head gasket as this is pretty rare.

Timing belt was due at 100K mi. Was it done and if so what parts are shown on the documentation? If not, then get that done ASAP by someone who knows tdis using all the right parts.

v8volvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
What is it supposedly leaking? Oil? Coolant?

As others have said head gasket leaks on these are quite uncommon. If it is leaking oil then very likely the leak is coming from the vacuum pump gasket at the back of the cylinder head and/or the valve cover being installed incorrectly, either or both of which can result from a careless or inexperienced timing belt job. At first glance looking up from below, a vac pump gasket oil leak can look like a headgasket leak. If it is leaking coolant then someone needs to take a close look at the small hoses that attach at the driver's side of the cyl head and make sure the leak is not coming from the water pump. Or, most likely of all, if it is leaking fuel from a seeping IP head seal then the IP needs fixed. Fuel leaks drip down the engine and collect dirt so that they look black, like engine oil, by the time they hit the garage floor.

It may be that the mechanic you have found is excited to tear into a good-paying headgasket job, but due caution needs to be exercised... a leaking headgasket is unlikely and a fairly major repair. If your mechanic is ready to summarily take the motor apart for a headgasket without considerable careful diagnosis first then he is either dishonest, unfamiliar with TDI's, or both. It is fairly likely that whatever leak you have is not coming from the headgasket, and if you let him do the headgasket then you will a) likely not have fixed whatever the real problem is and b) have spent a lot of $$ on a "repair" that would very possibly make the overall health of the car quite a bit worse.

I have seen only one blown headgasket in a TDI, and that was in a 1Z Passat that was being driven up Snoqualmie Pass when it blew a radiator hose and the driver didn't stop until the engine quit. Short of a catastrophe like that it is not typical to encounter a blown headgasket in a TDI.

There are good TDI-friendly shops in Portland, Seattle, and Redmond.... get a second opinion.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Welcome to the Club!

You will find this place to be much of an addiction with all of the experienced and not so experienced members sharing their knowledge to one another.

And you'll know what i mean when I say in this area, rain is a season in and of its own:)

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Welcome aboard Lisa,

Don't know about a TDI shop in Seattle, do know that Fix Um House in Portland is top notch. Rich took care of me on short order in 2010 when I was on the road. Also check out member "Oldpoopie" he travels and may be in Seattle soon. Oldpoopie is highly respected and has also worked on my car.

Lots of great people here on the TDI club. Plus a few jerks. Hey, this is life.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Matthew at Zahntech in Redmond is who I recommend in the area. Rich & Marcel and Oldpoopie are excellent choices in Portland and as mentioned, Oldpoopie will be in your area, but he may be booked up. I think he has a thread in the West Coast section.

lkct01234

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Hey all - Thanks for the response. The initial "estimate" of repairs were done by the dealer. I have not yet taken it in to get looked at by the repair shop in Puyallup. However, I will keep in mind that head gaskets do not commonly leak. As there were no service records for this vehicle it can not be confirmed that the timing belt has been replaced - which I know/heard needs to get replaced every 100K mi - but will have it looked at. Although I know this shop isn't listed on reliable mechanics - it doesn't mean it's an unreliable shop :) However, I will keep in mind the places on the list - however, they are about an hour+ away...I guess I'd rather find someone a little bit closer...so we will see!!

Seatman - I am that kind of weird/lazy that I'd rather explain something that takes less time for me to say on a regular basis :) I don't know how many times I've worked on Excel spreedsheets, etc. and taken long periods of time to get them "just right" but I've made them easier to update in the future. I'm that kind of nerd :-D

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Seatman - I am that kind of weird/lazy that I'd rather explain something that takes less time for me to say on a regular basis :) I don't know how many times I've worked on Excel spreedsheets, etc. and taken long periods of time to get them "just right" but I've made them easier to update in the future. I'm that kind of nerd :-D

As long as you're strange, that's the main thing :D

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Hi, Lisa, and welcome, etc.
We have similar vehicles so I wanted to tell you about an alternative to changing your stereo. The previous owner of my Jetta installed a Grom Audio Ipod interface adapter back in Nov. 2008. It was only 80 bucks back then.
Check them out at www.gromaudio.com. It works well and I use the cassette slot with an adapter for satellite radio.
Good luck with your new ride!

Baron VonZeppelin

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 81 VW Truck TiDi, 85 Jetta TiDi
I would not drive that car 1 more time until i was satisfied that the timing belt looked pretty fresh. I have seen a Mk4 original belt with 115k miles on it and it looked like he]] on the cogged side. So yours should look "fresh".

In farmed labor, with required parts, about 3-4 grand to correct the "mishap".
No Joke.

If you cannot locate the data to find the previous owner and inquire of the timing belt, a CarFax report will most times reveal when and where the service was performed. IF it was done professionally.

$35 CarFax vs. $3000-4000 in repairs ..... do a spreadsheet on that one. :p

Don't be fooled by posers. Period
TDI's are a seperate game from any other car or truck.
But every service writer and mechanic want their percentage of your money.

The Right mechanic is usually on par or below the cost of the Wrong mechanic. But if you have to pay the Wrong one first, then the Right one to correct the mistakes ... it gets terribly expensive.
We see this often.

Don't trust anyone who is not overwhelmingly affluent with TDI's.
And can supply references or has TDI reputation.
He should also drive a VW Diesel or at minimum own one.
Like all the smartest people do.

Always be sober when re-fueling.
Unleaded mistakes are a big pain and you won't go far.

The correct diesel rated synthetic motor oil is also very very important.

Welcome to the Forum and the Club

P.S. i "might" can help on the CarFax if our 30 day unlimited package hasn't expired yet. You would need to PM me the tag number with state.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Welcome to the club. Another local person. I'm pretty new here too.

As stated above, you can try Carfax but the chances are VERY slim it'll show any timing belt history. Hardly any shops / dealers report services to Carfax.

I just got mine a few weeks ago, 145k on the odo. No record of t-belt so I just order the whole kit. For <$400 "rental of tools included" I can now drive it without worrying about it.

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
Welcome!

I taught science in Puyallup for 10 years, and currently teach Tacoma kids science! There are a few more locals around here.

Major service (including timing belts...) I'd go to oldpoopie (Justin) in Portland. I've only been down there once, but he's your man.

Hope to see you at Lake Stevens GTG.

michael.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Major service (including timing belts...) I'd go to oldpoopie (Justin) in Portland. I've only been down there once, but he's your man.
FYI: OldPoopie (Justin) is not nearly as old or as "poopie" as his user name might suggest.:rolleyes:

Have Fun!

Don

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Hi Lisa-Welcome to the club!
I have to chime in that it is worth driving whatever distance you need to in order to have a "guru" look at the head gasket issue and the timing belt.
The TB change on these vehicles is very crucial and generally people on the club will have the TB, bolts, and water pump changed at the same time. You can get a TB kit through Bora Parts for a good price and they are quality parts.
Take it to Michael at Zahntech. He is very knowledgeable and conservative in his assessments of mechanical issues. He won't recommend something be done unless there is good reason it needs to addressed. He is also patient and will explain things in detail.
When I got my Jetta, I drove it from Portland to La Grande to get the TB changed because that was the closest guru I knew of at the time. And then back the same day. Left home at 6am and got back after midnight.
But we tdi folks are a bit funny that way.;) It was a great excuse for a roadtrip!
I hope you can make it to the Lake Stevens gtg. It will be nice to see another woman there who is gawking at cars and getting greasy!:)
~Keli

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Welcome, Lisa!
I'll echo everyone else here, don't let anyone other than yourself or someone with references here do anything bigger than a steam clean of your TDI engine. With the right care, it'll go 400k, no problem, and give you at least 40mpg around town.

You really did score and I'm jealous...a 2003 GLS wagon with a 5 speed is coveted: last year for the "ALH" code engine, easy to mod/maintain, with superior MPG vs. every TDI sold since then in the US market.
Also look into an intake manifold cleaning, most TDI mechanics will have a spare, clean manifold sitting around to swap yours out.

If you like tweaking Excel spreadsheets to perfection, by all means get a VCDS cable from Ross-com and check out all the neat info on your engine! It'll save you the cost of the cable several times over, and give you the piece of mind to know what's going on with your TDI.

VWGMDIESELFAN

Veteran Member
TDI
(totaled 4/30/2014) 2002 JETTA GLS TDI
Welcome Lisa!

As Keli stated please go to the get together at Lake Stevens.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=355143

There you will meet friendly car enthusiasts and learn how to deal with all the quirks and hiccups of your new car.

1. First get a 10mm ratchet with an extension and take the engine cover off and toss it in your garage. You don’t need it till winter plus you can easily see any leaks or issues to deal with quickly.
2. If you are comfortable doing so remove the upper timing belt cover using a long flat head screw driver to pop the clips open and inspect the belt and rollers with a flashlight or sunlight. It is located left of the block standing in front of the car. There are probably more informative threads that describe this and have pictures if you spend some time using “search” in this forum.
3. Oil; I use (from Wal-Mart)Shell Rotella T full synthetic but I believe Shell changed the name to T6 full synth. LubroMoly full synth sold at NAPA works to. There are many venders on this site that sell quality oil and you could read for hours on what type people use predominantly.
4. Coolant; 20-25 bucks at the dealer for a gallon of G-12 or 1.5 liters of Pentosin G13 at Napa or any of the Venders on this site can get it for you.

Last edited:

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Welcome Lisa. We have almost the same car! Mine's a GL.

If you like getting 500+ miles to a tank, search Ventectomy here on the forums. Get ready for 6-7.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I read this thread title and now I can't get "Slim Shady" out of my head! :D

uturn

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V Silk Blue Metallic
Portland guy

Hey Lisa, I'm in Portland, if you ever get down this way. I was looking into a MK4 as well, but Being as I'm 6'5" I needed a little bit more room than a MK4 wagon could offer. I went for a 96 B4V passat wagon which serves me much better. My wife has family in Bremerton, so we come up that way often. Also I lived up that way for 5 years while I was in the Navy and stationed at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island. Welcome to the club! :D

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
What shop in Puyallup were you considering? Definitely make it up to the Lake Stevens GTG. It's Matt at Zahntech and he'll be there to offer advice and maybe even get his hands dirty. Lots of great people, cars and sage advice. It would be a huge head start in the right direction when it comes to TDI networking. Justin (Oldpoopie) is planning on being there as well. Give it your best to make it up and, oh yeah, Welcome!!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I think the thread title was uttered at the introduction of an Apple computer of the same name. :D