Lights stay on and can not unlock doors without key FOB

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
When I pull into my garage and leave the keys in the ignition, the driving lights (?) never shut off. Can a VAG COM program lights to shut off after a certain amount of time (with the keys in the ignition)?

Also, quite often I need to open the trunk or unlock a back door. I open the front door and lift on the door unlock switch on the door, and nothing. I end up having to get in the car, get the key FOB and unlock it this way. Is this normal? Why don't the door switches work to unlock the rear doors or trunk after a certain amount of time (after the car has been shut off)?

I mean, really. The lights will stay on until the battery dies, but the unlock switches disengage so I can't unlock a back door or trunk. :cool: I want just the opposite; Lights that turn off after say, 20 seconds and door switches that are active all of the time.

Solutions and explanations as to why the car is designed like this are appreciated.

Thanks

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
dae06 said:
When I pull into my garage and leave the keys in the ignition, the driving lights (?) never shut off. Can a VAG COM program lights to shut off after a certain amount of time (with the keys in the ignition)?

Also, quite often I need to open the trunk or unlock a back door. I open the front door and lift on the door unlock switch on the door, and nothing. I end up having to get in the car, get the key FOB and unlock it this way. Is this normal? Why don't the door switches work to unlock the rear doors or trunk after a certain amount of time (after the car has been shut off)?

I mean, really. The lights will stay on until the battery dies, but the unlock switches disengage so I can't unlock a back door or trunk. :cool: I want just the opposite; Lights that turn off after say, 20 seconds and door switches that are active all of the time.

Solutions and explanations as to why the car is designed like this are appreciated.

Thanks
2005 Jetta as in MKIV, or 2005.5 Jetta as in MKV?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I'm going to assume it is the 2005.5 that is listed in blue under his fuelly banner.

:D

Of course I know what they say about assuming.

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/DSG,2002 Jetta w/ 01m,99 Jetta
dae06 said:
Does the door only work when it was closed? mine was doing that when the wires were broken off, it would work when the door was closed, or even open a hair but if i opened it the door more it would lose power. The door locks and trunk release switch should always work.

as far as the lights staying on, just pull the key out and put it back in? not that big of a hassle

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
jonathantingley said:
Does the door only work when it was closed? mine was doing that when the wires were broken off, it would work when the door was closed, or even open a hair but if i opened it the door more it would lose power. The door locks and trunk release switch should always work.

as far as the lights staying on, just pull the key out and put it back in? not that big of a hassle
2005.5 MKV.

Only works if I turn the key on. Again this is only after the car has been off for a while. Any other car I had, all I needed to do is open the front door and unlock the rest from there. Now I have to get in the car, turn the key on and unlock, or pull the key FOB out and use the FOB to unlock. I don't think there is anything wrong. I think for some reason it is designed that way. Why I don't know.

Pulling the key: Yes, this is what I have been doing. It is a major pet peeve of mine though. When it's a bright day or I park outside, I don't see the lights and sometimes forget to pull the key and put it back in. Actually happened a day ago. All my other vehicles lights turn off automatically after a short time.

But really I wondering if there is there a way using a Vag Com to change these settings?

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
There is something wrong with your door. My mk5 doors always have power, no matter what. I can unlock the doors and pop the trunk at any time, ignition on or off.

You can configure it with vcds so that all the doors to unlock when you pull the key out, makes life a lot easier.

as far as the key thing, you might as well get used to it

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
jonathantingley said:
There is something wrong with your door. My mk5 doors always have power, no matter what. I can unlock the doors and pop the trunk at any time, ignition on or off.

You can configure it with vcds so that all the doors to unlock when you pull the key out, makes life a lot easier.

as far as the key thing, you might as well get used to it
Weird.

Do you by chance leave your keys in the ignition? I haven't tried this with the keys not in the ignition. I'll play around more tonight and see what I come up with.

Also, I am not sure how long the car needs to sit before they become inactive.

Thanks

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
OP, Turn off the engine pull the key out & put it right back in the switch & your lights will be off. It sounds like your car is working as designed.

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
Windjammer said:
OP, Turn off the engine pull the key out & put it right back in the switch & your lights will be off. It sounds like your car is working as designed.
That's what I have been doing, thanks.

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm telling you there is something wrong with your door, my door locks ALWAYS work, key in/out, ignition on/ off.

Just pull the rubber boot back and check the wires.