Saskatchewan TDI members??

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Bit north of Prince Albert

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I'm from Humboldt (and later Saskatoon) as well!
But now live on Vancouver Island. :p
(Seriously, though, I do miss the flatlands sometimes; hope to do a road trip out that way once the world approaches normal again.)

Romuald

TDI
2015 passat tdi
Just got studded winter tires installed today. I got Pirelli zero Fr studded, there a little noisy but have a lot of grip. :)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Hey you Saskatoon guys ....

North of the nice city is Campland RV Resort (super nice place). Well, in mid-July, 2017, the clutch slave on my ALH 84 Vanagon went south as we were going thru town (actually it had been giving issues almost all day, never told wife). Long story short, the incident happened on Thursday evening and the next morning a nice guy with VW Dealership (out in parking lot) gave me the name and address of a VW, etc., guru nearby. Well, I don't remember the name of the place, but they ordered the part and had us ready to travel by Monday at noon.

Anyway, my two Schnauzers and I hiked all over the Campland Grounds numerous times over those 4 days. On Sunday afternoon, there was a horrible thunder storm moved in with loads of wind, lightening and rain. We thought the little PopUp Camper was going over.

We had a great time and met a lot of good folks. With the toss of a coin, we headed home instead of on to Alaska. Six weeks later, the Power Steering spilled its guts ........... I guess God was looking out for us!

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
Hey you Saskatoon guys ....

North of the nice city is Campland RV Resort (super nice place). Well, in mid-July, 2017, the clutch slave on my ALH 84 Vanagon went south as we were going thru town (actually it had been giving issues almost all day, never told wife). Long story short, the incident happened on Thursday evening and the next morning a nice guy with VW Dealership (out in parking lot) gave me the name and address of a VW, etc., guru nearby. Well, I don't remember the name of the place, but they ordered the part and had us ready to travel by Monday at noon.

Anyway, my two Schnauzers and I hiked all over the Campland Grounds numerous times over those 4 days. On Sunday afternoon, there was a horrible thunder storm moved in with loads of wind, lightening and rain. We thought the little PopUp Camper was going over.

We had a great time and met a lot of good folks. With the toss of a coin, we headed home instead of on to Alaska. Six weeks later, the Power Steering spilled its guts ........... I guess God was looking out for us!
Nice to have you stop by, slave cyl will do that... happy traveling

Tander74

TDI
2002 jetta
hey fellow sask members, recently bought a 2002 jetta and looking for a reliable shop/mechanic i can offload all my questions to and possibly help w the bigger jobs. getting mixed reviews about a couple places in regina. any help is much appreciated.

Cheers🍻

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
in Saskatoon Import auto is my first choice, i have heard of an Audi tech who does work on the side and is suppose to be good, but have not made that contact yet.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Yes this is a bump, lol.
Seems we have a few of these threads around but this appears to be the most “recently” visited. I’ve been on this site a while but neglected to check in here till now.

My name is Jude and I’m from way down in the southwest corner of our beautiful province, in the little town of Eastend. I also have VCDS. Got another buddy in town here too, he has a MKV, but he isn’t on the forums.

Last edited:

rjbbrooks

TDI
2013 Jetta Comfortline sedan
Hi from Wolseley, Sask. 😀 Looking for a mechanic to replace my alternator (I have the part).

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Hi from Wolseley, Sask. 😀 Looking for a mechanic to replace my alternator (I have the part).
I have heard some good things about Precision Motorsports in Regina, haven’t had any real dealings with him myself though. I do know he seems a little grouchy on the phone lol. My buddy said the same but also said he was very friendly and helpful in person.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know how adventurous you are, but if have a 13mm (alternator bolts) and 16mm (A/C compressor bolts) sockets and a ratchet, there's not much to removing / replacing the alternator (called "generator" in VW manuals).

Stickiest thing for most first-timers is figuring out how to bump the little bushings back a bit so the compressor and alternator slide easily back into place. It's the same process as it is for the ALH cars, so lots of how-tos for that over in the Mk4 sub-forum here.

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
so does anyone in the sasktoon are have a 2015 golf? im looking to checkout the fit of the floor mats, i have purchased 3d maxpider floor mats and find them nice than weathertech liners. but they are not available in that size, so want to se what is different after 2015

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
so does anyone in the sasktoon are have a 2015 golf? im looking to checkout the fit of the floor mats, i have purchased 3d maxpider floor mats and find them nice than weathertech liners. but they are not available in that size, so want to se what is different after 2015
Can’t help you with that, sorry, but maybe there’d be a Saskatoon FB group you could ask? There’s not much activity on this thread.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not sure what you're trying to fit to what (?).
You already purchased mats? So why not just put them in your car and see how they fit?

rjbbrooks

TDI
I don't know how adventurous you are, but if have a 13mm (alternator bolts) and 16mm (A/C compressor bolts) sockets and a ratchet, there's not much to removing / replacing the alternator (called "generator" in VW manuals).

Stickiest thing for most first-timers is figuring out how to bump the little bushings back a bit so the compressor and alternator slide easily back into place. It's the same process as it is for the ALH cars, so lots of how-tos for that over in the Mk4 sub-forum here.
Well, I got the job done, but in the Mk VI I learned in order to get the alternator out you have to put the front end of the car into "Service Position" - effectively sliding the front bumper (headlights, rad and all) about 6 inches forward onto a couple temporarily placed long bolts. Found a great YouTube video explaining how to do it. And after closing the hood when the job was done, I realized I hadn't connected the hood release latch (facepalm).

rjbbrooks

TDI
So the plot thickens. Alternator and battery are new. Ran the car for an hour and it stopped by itself, with no power to restart. Looks like the battery is not being charged. Checked with multimeter and still have a .25 amp parasitic drain. Better than a 4 amp drain before I replaced the alternator. Removed and replaced every fuse in the car with test light between negative post and disconnected negative cable stays lit up. Any ideas out there?