99 ALH into 2006 TDI Jetta?

denverjb

TDI
2006 Jetta
New member here so forgive me if this is in the wrong thread or if i should have posted it withing another thread or whatever.

Here is the situation:

I have a 2006 TDI Jetta w/ 160k on it. Bought it as an "old stocker" from a VW dealer at 80k. Have taken care of it with all the usual maintenance items. Had new camshaft & timing belt @ 108k. Turbo has always seemed to lag from stop. DSG trans. has always given a shudder here and there at around 60mph, though changing the trans. fluid twice has no doubt prolonged the innevitable.

Anyway, the other day, wife (ha! She did it!) fired it up in the morning and after idling a bit the coolant came poring out. I replaced a heater core hose & egr cooler hose at the rear of the engine, as well as the coolant flange on the block/head by the PD.

Leaks the same. Didnt have time to look into it (home remodel) so i took it to a local reputable TDI mechanic.

I've been told the cylinder head is cracked and the coolant is leaking from a bypass at idle. Also told turbo is no good.

I found an ALH near by with (supposedly) 175k, relatively complete, though i havent seen it. So i am thinking about swaping in the ALH into my '06. I know i will need a trans to match the ALH.

All thoughts and comments welcome.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Its generally considered a poor choice to put an older engine in a newer car. I'm sure its been done though. Me, I'd either replace the head and and get a new/used turbo or just pull what I can, scrap the car and get something else.
But, if you really want to keep the car you could potentially just use the alh head and wiring harness. The head should bolt up to the BEW(?) block. Wouldn't even need to pull the engine.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This would be difficult on a variety of levels. ECU, engine harness, exhaust, mounts...I'm not even sure the ALH would fit in the MKV platform. You can buy a new cylinder head for $1,500, or find a good used one and use your cam. Much easier all around.

If you're determined to replace the engine, find another BRM. But regardless of what engine you find it's likely it'll need a new turbo.

denverjb

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks. I thought r&r-ing the head and turbo would be the easier option so I will go this route. Just thought it would make for an interresting project and also becaue the ALH's have a better reputation than the BRM's.

If i am doing the head, I should do the PD (which is original) while i'm at it. And if i'm doing the PD I should at least have the injectors tested, yeah?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to have someone else look at that car. If it has a cracked cylinder head, I'll eat my hat.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
100% Agree with Oilhammer , Never seen cracked head in BRM.

I guaranty you it is return hose leaking , very common problem on BRM, and Evey single person replace Heather hoses thinking that is that problem.

Look at little hose next to tandem pump that goes in head.