Refitting DPF without EGR?

mbesemann

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Hey all,

I currently have a DPF & EGR deleted 2011 Golf TDI and want to refit my DPF. Is there any benefit in keeping the EGR deleted or should I just refit both at the same time?

Thanks for your input!

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
What's the reason for refitting the DPF? If returning it to appear emission compliant, I'd put it all back on and run a dynamic EGR tune.

mbesemann

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
What's the reason for refitting the DPF? If returning it to appear emission compliant, I'd put it all back on and run a dynamic EGR tune.
I'm just tired of smelling the exhaust. Every time I exit the vehicle I get a puff of that unfiltered diesel exhaust smell, and when I drive with a window open I smell it as well.

I was able to improve the smell a significant amount by running a 20% biodiesel blend and using some diesel additive with every tank, but I still notice it and just want clear air like before :)

Is there anything else I can try other than doing the refit? I have the Rawtek DPF delete kit with their "high flow" cat so I'm not sure how much that cat is doing to reduce the smell.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Why not just refit a proper catalytic converter off a BRM engine first?

Personally at the moment I am trying a dummy "EGR off" on my 1.6 TDI w/DPF.
I unplugged the exhaust gas diverter valve in the EGR cooler. This setup disables EGR completely from the ECU side. Of course you get a CEL but no power loss or limp mode.

My goal is to monitor the frequency of DPF regens. First impression is that the distance between DPF regens has increased a lot. Soot accumulation is a lot slower too.
However, the car takes longer to reach the operating temperature.
Since I ran only one full tank with my experiment, it's way too early to draw any conclusions yet.

To answer OP's question: I don't see a reason why DPF setup would not work without EGR. But before that I'd try a cat from BRM setup just to avoid stupid regens and other related stuff (temperature sensors, backpressure to the turbo, differential pressure sensors, etc...).

mbesemann

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Why not just refit a proper catalytic converter off a BRM engine first?
I still have all the original parts from my mk6 including the cat, would welding that one onto my exhaust work or is the BRM one still better?

However, the car takes longer to reach the operating temperature.
Currently I have a Malone tune with dynamic idle, this could help your warmup times (although with a loss in fuel economy for the first part of your drive - if you only do short trips it might not be worth it).

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Oh yeah, now I remembered that there in States you have a bit different emissions system. BRM cat was just not a huge "box". No idea how it looks like on your side of the pond, probably two separate elements.

I remember that DPF equipped cars also had 2 or 3 pieces of hardware.

At this point I am not considering to spend any money on aftermarket tune. I want to keep the car stock as much as possible. And yeah, my trip to work is 3.5 miles one way so I really doubt any tune would do something dramatically efficient