The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Wrapped up more fun sessions of B4 repairs:
Upgraded to an 02J shifter, replaced the exhaust system with new from turbo to rear axle, updated the turbo oil drain line since the original was getting pretty crusty, New CV shaft on the passenger side to compliment the driver's side one put in a few months before, new flange seal as well since it was leaking a bit and the inner boot was torn since getting it on the road about 30K miles ago. Let's see...engine oil change, transaxle oil change with Redline MTL, replaced the cigarette lighter with a dual USB port and replaced the AC/Recirc button backlight while it was apart. Also swapped out the untouched original 327K mile injectors with DLC520's from DBW new Bosch glow plugs and a couple custom stainless braided brake hoses from HEL performance going from the body to rear axle since nobody makes them anymore, at least ones that fit properly.

Yes, that is the original tan carpet under the black.

It was easier to add a 3rd bolt and a sleeve as a spacer for securement that trying to fabricate something to tie into the 2 threaded holes topside.

This is not up as high as it can go....it sits about 3/8" below the floor with a foam gasket I made when I did my first 02J shifter conversion years ago since to go up all the way, puts too much of a bend on the cables right as they exit the box.

I was impressed with these hoses, cost about $118 shipped for the pair and had them in a week. I ordered some SS hoses from ECS and after paying twice for them I still didn't have them after 6 months. When they did show up, they were for a Mk4. Whatever.

You can build these exactly to your specs on the helperformance.com website. They fit good this time. Length is only available in whole centimeters, for these lines I could have used 1/2cm less but it worked out in the end.

My first time around I ordered them a couple centimeters too long, even though they fit, the bend was terrible, as terrible as the next two pictures.

This was the worst hole, the slide hammer I had for years could only remove the #1 injector, the rest no way. I vacuum out the holes before moving on to slide hammer the others.

Lots of scrapping with sharp pics like a dental hygienist to get the scale off then finish with a plethora of dremel rotary wire brushes and brake kleen, aero kroil, vacuum and compressed air, napkins, Q-tips and whatever else it took. I use a 1/4" dia rubber stopper in each hole that I sink below flush that can be retrieved with a set of long needle nose pliers to prevent anything from getting into the cylinders.

This is what it took to get the remaining 3 injectors out, if the weight were any less it may not have happened. I had to stop after the 1st injector and put it all back together and drive to storage to retrieve the big set seen here.

Ready to pull the plugs and bolt down some money.

Done. The glows despite no anti-sieze came out good, only one had to have it's threads chased with a modded old glow plug.

Last edited: