NEW E250 Benz Bluetec 4cyl ( look at the power rating!!!)

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
2010 Mercedes-Benz E250 BlueTEC Concept
Would you like 39 mph on the highway? The E250 BlueTEC proves it's possible.
printsend
By Matt DeLorenzo • Photos by John Lamm

While Mercedes readies it new E-Class for its U.S. debut with 6- and 8-cylinder gasoline power, it is launching a trial balloon to see if the public is ready for a 4-cylinder turbodiesel version of its popular executive class sedan. So, at the New York show it introduced the 2010 E250 BlueTEC, a diesel concept designed specifically for North America. This model is powered by a 2.2-liter 4-cylinder turbocharged diesel which produces 204 bhp and 369 lb.-ft. of torque, the latter reaching its peak between 1600 and 1800 rpm. The diesel powerplant features high-tech features such as high-pressure common-rail direct injection and twin Lanchester balance shafts for smooth operation. The engine is mated to a 7-speed automatic transmission.

To meet stringent U.S. emission laws, the E250 BlueTEC employs a particulate trap, two catalytic converters plus an AdBlue urea injection system to reduce NOX emissions. The car is equipped with a 25-liter tank for urea, which is scheduled to be replenished during normal service intervals. In addition to meeting Bin 5 emissions regulations, Mercedes says the vehicle will also meet Europe's even stricter EU6 requirements that do not go into effect until September of 2014. This clean diesel E250 BlueTEC concept is said to deliver fuel economy of 28 mpg in the city and 39 mpg highway. Impressive.

Karmann_20v

TDI
02 ALH Jetta
Interesting, but I kinda doubt we'll see a 4 cyl Diesel E Class in N. America
BTW, this is the same engine that powers the C Class (C220) in Europe. There are 3 power levels with the 204HP at the top IIRC

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
diesel-dave said:
Would you like 39 mph on the highway? The E250 BlueTEC proves it's possible.
printsend
By Matt DeLorenzo • Photos by John Lamm
I prefer 65 - 75 miles per hour when I am on the freeways.. :rolleyes:;)

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Karmann_20v said:
Interesting, but I kinda doubt we'll see a 4 cyl Diesel E Class in N. America
BTW, this is the same engine that powers the C Class (C220) in Europe. There are 3 power levels with the 204HP at the top IIRC
Yep, we have that engine here too, great low end torque from such small engine :eek:

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
In a few years VW will figure out how to do most of this cheaply.

Common rail has been on Mercedes since 1999, but not until 2009 for VW.

Our E-class easily returns 35 mpg highway, BTW.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
:eek: Hey the article stated it was coming to america and i just copy and pasted this.

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
diesel-dave said:
:eek: Hey the article stated it was coming to america and i just copy and pasted this.
BMW muddied the waters by bringing a 6-cyl diesel in the 3-series, and MBUSA surely has doubts about countering with a 4-cyl in the direct competitor C-class. If the BMWs don't sell, it would make a difference, but this economy doesn't provide much reliable data.

The article, of course states E250, meaning the new W212 E-class and I'm afraid they aren't going to get much support for 4-cyl engines in this model. There hasn't been one sold in the USA since the IMHO unlamented 240D of the '70s-early '80s.

No question the quoted power numbers match almost exactly those of our E320CDI (basically 1999 technologyl; almost a full litre larger engine), but I'm sceptical of the tradeoff between 4 more mpg and the sophistication difference between a four and a six. Interesting how diesel technology is marching along at the highest level, and perhaps balancer shaft technology is part of it and perhaps it's enough.

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
I think you'll see one of those, too.

MB isn't going to import an engine for use in only one car.

It's an engine desperately needed in the GLK, i.e. the "sex and the city" SUV, and that, of course is a C-class.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was recently reminded that same displacement/fewer cylinders = better efficiency. That's why Audi went from the V8 to a V6 in the S4. The power numbers that engine produces are entirely adequate for an E-Class. Mercedes has for ages been a champion of big car/small engine models. Think of the 280S from the 70s. Or the S320 from the 90s (admittedly not a great idea).

I think they should go for the E-Class with this engine. It would be a sleeper.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Balance shafts and engine mounts seem to be able to cover the harmonics. Besides, the old 240D engines would easily go 300K with more primitive oils. I don't think wear is going to be an issue on this, or practically any modern engine (PDs notwithstanding).

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
IndigoBlueWagon said:
I was recently reminded that same displacement/fewer cylinders = better efficiency. That's why Audi went from the V8 to a V6 in the S4. The power numbers that engine produces are entirely adequate for an E-Class. Mercedes has for ages been a champion of big car/small engine models. Think of the 280S from the 70s. Or the S320 from the 90s (admittedly not a great idea).
Mercedes and other Europeans fit smaller engines because cars are taxed by engine displacement in Europe.

Fewer cylinders indeed means less fuel consumption, but more cylinders at same total displacement means more power. How do you define efficient? At one time it was concluded 350cc was the ideal cylinder size--hence when the F1 engine formula was 3.5 liters, all the engines were V10s.