www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 25th, 2018, 13:51   #6871
Yblocker
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1997 Passat

So as part of the timing belt job in doing, I wanted to see why my intercooler was leaking oil.

I cleaned it and rigged up a simple test with some stuff I had on hand. I did have to buy the schrader tire valve. I pressured it up to 20 psi and sprayed soap solution on it and found one area that bubbled.

So I decided that before I uncrimp the tank from the core, I would try and give the tabs in the leaky area a squeeze with a pair of channel lock pliers. No more bubbles at 20 psi! I think I'll leave well enough alone for now.

Caution! 20 psi is quite a lot of pressure. More that you think. If you try this, make sure your conections are oil free and tight. DO NOT get in the way of whatever you are using to block off the inlet and outlet when you pressure up. The first try when I did this, I put the side without the schader valve over the house into my upper garden! Be very careful and sneak up on the pressure. 10 psi is probabaly enough anayway for test purposes.
Old March 25th, 2018, 17:24   #6872
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Yeah, 20 psi has a kick if there is enough volume stored.

Over the house - bravo!

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 18:07   #6873
Sootyperry

TDI(s): 2x 96' b4v
Fuel Economy: Depends

Replaced LCA bushings in the Lady's B4V tdi with TT ones and didn't break any captive nuts. My crap wagon B4V tdi got new rear wheel bearings and pads/calipers, woot functional e brake again!
Sootyperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 21:56   #6874
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Call from Chubs today, my TDI MFA cluster should be back to me Wednesday.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2018, 04:27   #6875
Col Sanders
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51 mpg last time I checked it. Audi no numbers yet.

Thanks Steve. The Chubs post reminds me to call for a appointment. I need a couple wires in the computer moved. Over my head. Nice little drive in the country for me. As you know, I've been there twice. Derek is a whiz on this stuff. I won't mention this is on my A4. Mods will kick me off here and over to the never read swap threads. lol. No B4 no mo. Did I say that!
Col Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 17:36   #6876
TDIL3dad
Veteran Member

Drove the black B4 daily driver to multiple locations with no issues. Came out from my last stop late in the day and it would not start. Cluster lights and needles operated normally when I turned the key in ignition, but turning the key in the ignition resulted in engine doing nothing. It turns out that the starter wire plug pigtail had become unplugged. Close examination revealed that the wire clip that holds it snug and in place, was missing. Is this something to start watching for ie that the clips will deteriorate off the many connectors in the engine bay and pop off on their own, or was this a freak accident?
TDIL3dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 23:40   #6877
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Sanders View Post
Thanks Steve. The Chubs post reminds me to call for a appointment. I need a couple wires in the computer moved. Over my head. Nice little drive in the country for me. As you know, I've been there twice. Derek is a whiz on this stuff. I won't mention this is on my A4. Mods will kick me off here and over to the never read swap threads. lol. No B4 no mo. Did I say that!
Haha, yeah he's not all that far from you.

Got my cluster back a few days back, have been gone for Easter so not installed yet. I also have to do a little rewiring in the cluster harness and under the hood to handle the additional led light for coolant GP activity.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2018, 07:24   #6878
lisab4
Veteran Member

Installed some lines and put new oil in it.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 21:24   #6879
VWVenla

New rims, replaced boot and clutch covers (thanks Redline!), re-sealed all exterior trim, sat and looked at her for an hour with beer in hand.
VWVenla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2018, 00:54   #6880
TDIDaveNH
Left Lane Coal Roller at Large

TDI(s): 1997 Passat

Changed the oil and rotated tires, replaced 2 tires and discovered an outside CV boot in my future as well as excessive play in the left inner tie rod- that one goes right to the top of the list.
Old April 9th, 2018, 21:33   #6881
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Had to replace the battery in my wagon Sunday. Old one lasted 4 years and 3 months. Got some money off the $150 replacement batter - $85 out the door. Both new and old batteries were from WalMart. Size H8, biggest battery I could find. Think it is a replacement for the old Group 49 size battery. A very tight fit on the stock location.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2018, 06:02   #6882
sootful

Fuel guage on cluster suddenly went inop. I found a mouse nest over the fuel tank sender and the wires had been chewed through. Cleaned and reconnected. I have guage again! Yeah.
sootful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2018, 08:59   #6883
lisab4
Veteran Member

Added coolant. No leaks so far