ALH EGR delete - Tune

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
We have 3 ALH TDIs in my immediate family and I was wondering if the only way to get rid of the check engine light after an egr delete is a tune? Tired of clogged intakes. I know there's a million threads on the subject but thought I'd ask. :) Car won't pass the stupid drive clean test in my area with a check engine light on.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
if you got egr delete, you need a tune (100 bucks from malone tuning) to get rid of the CEL

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Ya I think you need a tune. The Malone eco with egr delete and dynamic idle would be good choice if you use malone. You can maybe fix it with vcds to turn the egr down but it still might cel. You could also tune it out your self with a mpps cable and edc15 suite.

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
Thanks guys. Cleaned the intake today. What a job. Was almost completely clogged. Power washer and then soak in oven cleaner and another power washing and she's nice and clean. Now have to remember how to put it all back together. Might not go with a tune and delete. It's an old car but should be good for several more years yet.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you put the EGR cooler and piping back on odds are it won't need another cleaning. ULSD has pretty much taken care of that problem on these cars.

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
That's what I was thinking. Its 16 years old and has 320000 km on it and doesn't appear to ever been apart and cleaned before so it should be good for a long time. Should I try and scrape out the ports or just leave them? I don't want to have any large chunks of crud possibly damage a valve.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Look up doman8 performance they are local in the Brampton area.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I would just install a block off plate and remove it when times comes for testing. This is more legal than having a tune. All the tuners have to be careful offering this on public forums. They can get lot of heat if the government goes after them. Google "O2 simulators" and you'll get an idea what the US EPA did to that company.

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (RIP), 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
If you put the EGR cooler and piping back on odds are it won't need another cleaning. ULSD has pretty much taken care of that problem on these cars.
That has not been my experience. My ALH has been used periodically with an EGR delete engaged and disengaged, using ULSD, and it is back to about 50% clogged since I cleaned it 100k miles ago. It is not as clear cut as "ULSD" eliminates this problem, lots of diesels clog using ULSD.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Then you're driving it too gently. Diesels stay clean if they are asked to work.