1st time buyer - Delivery on Sat, suggestions?

Shawsie

TDI
2001 Golf GL, White
I just bought myself a 2001 VW Golf TDI - GL I believe.
I'm going to pick it up on Saturday, it has 135,000kms on it. Are there any suggestions out there about what I should be looking at as potential problems before I sign the dotted line?
I'm pretty stoked about getting the car, so I want to make sure I don't just buy it from excitement, I want to make sure I do this right.
It's the 1.9L 90hp A4 (this forum has SOOOOO much information, I feel like I have a clue what's going on under the hood already).
Thank you everyone for such an informative place on the web.
It's truly great for beginners & enthusiasts alike.
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rallysmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
the black pearl
i am in the same boat.
just start reading.

my list is :

air filter
fuel filter
clean snow screen
check ERG
use dieletric compound on MAF
ventectomy
delvac 1 5-40 oil and new filter
check ground off the battery
tru pipe from the cat.

Shawsie

TDI
2001 Golf GL, White
haha
Right, right...So maybe I should've made myself a bit more clear. Although I may be able to point to some of the stuff under the hood, I can point to it...Doesn't necessarily mean I know what it all does /images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Truth be told, I'm pretty car illiterate.
So, I know the big things like the a/c works, shifts gears VERY smooth, engine runs nicely, no dummy lights, regular maintenance, air bags haven't been deployed, brakes are new, new rubber, etc...But are there any tell tale things specific that I should look at (not that what you've said isn't tell tale, I just don't necessarily know what it all means)....See, told you I was new. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I don't know, but is there any way I can tell for sure if the timing belt HAS been changed? It's got 135,000kms on it, so it's either halfway through it's second one, or it's 50% over worn....Without being an uber car guy, can I tell from a glance? Dealers aren't known for having paperwork, and CERTAINLY aren't trustworthy enough to take their word for it....

billsbuddie

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF, GLS, TDI, 05, Reflex Silver
I bought a 2000 NB TDI two weeks ago. It looks cherry and overall is in great shape. I haggled with the saleman about the necessity to replace several items like the TB and Water Pump, etc. I took the advice of several people on this forum and offered a lot less money to cover these necessary maintenance items. I had the advantage of talking to the prior owner and knew that she had not done the 60,000 mile maintenance.

I have had all of the mechanical items replaced and also a new set of tires. It seems prudent to me that you consider that everything has to be done and negotiate the price accordingly.

Shawsie

TDI
2001 Golf GL, White
Awesome, thank you very very much for the advice.
I wish there was a way to know.
Considering I can't really assume that I can trust a dealer (it's not a VW dealer even, it's a "fine auto" dealer, I guess I have to assume it HASN'T been done).
So, on average (in CDN) what should I expect to pay for a TB + Water Pump + Serpentine Belt + V Belt + Tensioner change?
Any ideas/experience from anyone?
Thank you again for the response. As much feedback as possible is appreciated.