Another One Bites the Dust

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
Hi Gang:
Add mine to the list of MAF failures. This was at 27,500. My car got towed to the dealer Friday morning. Got it back this morning. Runs great again. The love affair is back again. Love/hate/love/hate this car! No charge for anything this time around. No complaints. DK <font color="#666666"> </font> <font color="green"> </font> <font color="][/color"> <font color="green"> </font>

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
It went bad so quick that on my drive home on Thursday night I had to flick on the hazard lights when climbing even minor grades. Tried to anticipate the next hill on the highway, trying to "bank" enough speed to use on it. The drive was awful. Rather than risk driving it 40 minutes (on a good day) to the dealer, we called VW roadside service. Thay towed it free from my driveway. DK

bitterberry

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta (5-speed)
hey. ya can't be free with a stick.

glad it worked out for you. i drove my car 8 months with a bad MAF and it was miserable.

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
8 months? Too bad. This was so bad I couldn't wait. Actually had made an appointment for mid Nov. because it was acting weird. Going along fine, then a sudden momentary drop in power. That sort of thing. I thought it was a turbo problem or something. Am now curious if the MAF goes out in stages. Was yours only 20% bad, while mine started out ok but went to 90% quickly? And what happens if the MAF is completely dead? Will the car move at all? DK

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Sounds like you should have pulled over and disconnected the MAF to go into "Limp home" mode. That should have been much better than what you were encountering. That was how I was able to make a preliminary diagnosis that mine was dying, as "Limp home" mode was better than using the MAF!

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
Since this happened I've read about the disconnect option. Wished I'd known before Thursday. Next time. DK