Golf Mk5 steering problem

b33zo

TDI
Golf
Hello guys,
The steering on my Golf Mk5 has developed a fault.
The steering wheel is twitching two or three degrees to either side while driving. Not enough to cause alarm but enough need a fair bit of concentration.
My guess is that the power steering is incorrectly sensing a possible change of direction and is beginning the turn. With light pressure on the steering wheel the fault also shows up when the car is stationary.
Any help diagnosing the problem and likely fix appreciated.
Thank you.

Stutgart

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Have the tie rod ends checked soon. You can do this by putting the front of the car up on jackstands. Then crawl under and move each front wheel side to side while looking at the tie rod. Any play in the tie? Replace it. Then check the opposite side.

...or take it to the local garage and have them check.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Definitely check the tie rods as Stutgart has suggested, also the inner tie rods and tires.

Does the brake warning light or any other light on your dash come on or is on? Are you having problems with your steering wheel controls , if you have any ,or an air bag light or your horn? Do you have the ESP option?

Do you have access to a VCDS to do a scan for any codes?

Last edited:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Start with the simple things first. Are your tires properly inflated? Are they cupped or have bald spots? This costs nothing to check. If they are okay, then move on to the expensive stuff.

b33zo

TDI
Golf
Thanks guys.
There are no warning lights. Tyres okay. Tracking seems okay. A scan is showing 01309 Power Steering Control Module2 (J500) Not a plausible singnal. I don't mind getting my hands dirty but this is getting outside of my vehicle maintenance knowlege...