CR 170 turbo

chgofirefighter

TDI
2011 VW Golf 4 Dr
I was able to locate a CR 170, I got the turbo upgrade bug by Kevin from Wisconsin Diesel. Went to eBay UK and to my luck I got a turbo unit for $324 shipped and insured. So I've have done some research, some guys get their 170 modded, don't know what exactly they do or who does it but apparently they upgrade the bearings, turbo fins, etc... Any ideas about this "mod" on the CR170? Supposedly it works better after it's modded... But??? Suggestions please!

Thanks!

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I was able to locate a CR 170, I got the turbo upgrade bug by Kevin from Wisconsin Diesel. Went to eBay UK and to my luck I got a turbo unit for $324 shipped and insured. So I've have done some research, some guys get their 170 modded, don't know what exactly they do or who does it but apparently they upgrade the bearings, turbo fins, etc... Any ideas about this "mod" on the CR170? Supposedly it works better after it's modded... But??? Suggestions please!

Thanks!
Yes, you will need a tune, your emissions equipment will have to be removed for the turbo to bolt on, you will need and exhaust unit from the turbo back, all in all since you already have the turbo with labor at a reputable shop your at about $2500, GOOD LUCK, your exhaust will smoke and smell but it's a diesel right...:eek:

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
so the current exhaust wont work with the larger turbo?
The turbo inlet is on the other side with the cr170, also you will need to remove your egr, dpf, flapper, and cat, thus you will need to fab or buy a new exhaust from the turbo back, you could get an after market cat and resonator but more money out of pocket, about $2500 and your all set...:(

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
If you can't do the work yourself it's an expensive mod for 25hp, that's about $100 per horsepower, is it worth it, up to you...;)

jvjump

TDI
Black golf tdi four door
If you could pm me with were you got turbo would be great. Thanks Going this rout with my 2013 golf. Think its a good cheap fix to an after market set up. Should be able to hold and cool 200 bhp if you keep your eye on it.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
So confused on how you guys find turbo's on the cheap. I haven't been able to locate one shipped and insured under 400$, guess it's a waiting game.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
It's patience and luck. There are a couple of venders that have them new with a warranty in the US. It depends on both your comfort level and how much you're willing spend.
GL, It's worth waiting for!

chgofirefighter

TDI
2011 VW Golf 4 Dr
So confused on how you guys find turbo's on the cheap. I haven't been able to locate one shipped and insured under 400$, guess it's a waiting game.

eBay UK is the way to go... Do a search, many out there to find but with careful research you should be good

adrian537

TDI
2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi
have you guys ever installed a CR170 turbo from KermaTDI? their turbo is supposed to work with stock exhaust

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
adrian537,
Their turbo IS supposed to be a direct bolt in (exclusive to Kerma), uses all the STOCK exhaust system, but...it's $1499.00 ON SALE. With their tuning it's $1999.00. Kinda' spendy. I have their tune, which I like so far. Hopefully will see increased MPG's, I don't hotrod it for the most part. I will tune the trans too, when the TCU tuning device is available to use