L.A. Auto Show: Audi Debuts Diesel SUV Ragtop Concept

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red
Drop the all wheel drive, put a VW badge on it and call it the "NEW GHIA."

I like it. But what do I know, I drive a NB.

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red
The New Thing. That'd be cool with me. Could keep the AWD.

I still like it.

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Should look like this when the real thing is shown in Detroit.

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
not bad

I like that they are mashing up two divergent segments. Akin to the X6 concept. I won't buy this thing but I appreciate it.

SSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
none :-(
That second picture is better. The first picture is Fugly. The front grill looks like one of those kitchen gadgets that slices a hard boiled eggs into thin slices. EEK

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
They're not gonna make that thing.

AWD is a great idea for adverse weather regions, convertibles are not.

They already have the TT and A4 cabriolet - neither of which can be had with a diesel (yet).

It sure is ugly.

Wouldn't a TDI A3 make better sense? Maybe that is what this is, the next generation A3.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
N.Y. Times Automotive Section had this to say:

AUDI CROSS CABRIOLET QUATTRO This concept car is part S.U.V., part off-roader and part convertible — and 100 percent fantasy. Still, it was one of the few creative design studies shown here.

William J Toensing

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta "value edition" 4 door
I saw that Audi TDI convertable. Liked everything but it's projected price, far more than I can afford. More interesting was a Jetta TDI station wagon they call the "Sportwagon". Susposed to go on sale this summer, 2008. Also on display at the "Dieselution" exibit was a German spec Polo with a 3 cylinder TDI 4 door hatchback, that is susposed to get 70 MPG! It appears slightly larger than the Rabbit 4 door from the '70 & early '80s. I really like the Polo diesel & wish we could get it here!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I'm afraid that all of Germany, Inc. is experiencing a nice heavy dose of, GULP, "the fuglies."

Think back to the '90's and early '00's. Both Audi and VW had a serious case of the handsome and desirables. Then all of Germany went down hill about '04. Some earlier. The car pictured here loses it with the big honking grill and side lines that change abruptly ahead of the door to get all curvy. Yuck. Doesn't work~! The simple line made so much more sense before. I liked the Bauhaus look. Now they're looking like a '90's Pontiac~! Funny, because it's just the time that the Pontiac is getting it groove back on. The G8 is, SEXY. And will compete directly with Germany with competative interiors and overall build quality...

Scary, but true. GM is about to make a comeback. I have never liked them before. Now they're looking great.

~BG

Last edited:

William J Toensing

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta "value edition" 4 door
Styling lowest priority for me

Although I like a nice looking car, styling is my lowest priority & regretfully, the average American's highest priority. That is why we got cars from Detroit into the '70s that were big, heavy, couldn't handle, corner, or stop without brake fade, got 10 MPG, but looked nice & often rode well because they were so heavy.
My priorities are fuel economy, handling, safety, durability, comfort, hatchback or station wagon hauling capacity at an affordable price. To prove the point, I bought a new 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 out the door including CA. sales tax & license for $11,643. I am not happy with its 29 MPG highway, 26 MPG city fuel fuel economy but at 105,000 miles, it has filled my other priorities well. However, I felt & still feel it is one of the uglyist looking cars on the road. However, beauity is in the eye of the beholder. I frankly don't care if my car looks unique or like other cars on the road, if it can get over 50 MPG & satisfy my other priorities, that is the car I want. So far, only two cars can meet my priorities, a Toyota Prius & the forthcomming VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon. I lean twards the TDI Sportwagon because I think it would handle better, get slightly better fuel economy (eventual battery replacement has to be factored into overall Prius fuel economy), & has better carrying capacity, although the Prius is a hatchback.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I thought it looked fine -- maybe not the most revolutionary concept at the show, but production-worthy.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
VFchicago88 said:
I would point and laugh at whoever drove that.
What, you think a bloated looking convertible with puffy tires looks funny-hee-hee? Um, I agree. Silly looking!

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
rag-top, booooooooo kinda looks like this smilie :D who's heard of a 4X4 convertible? I'm not refering to AWD, I'm talking about Baja looking 4X4...