www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old September 17th, 2018, 15:31   #1
wobblybox

Fuel Economy: Dunno yet only got it
Default Q7 3.0 TDI 8 speed automatic with strange noise and a vibration.....

Hello all, I am really struggling to find the source of a vibration in a 2010 Audi Q7 with 57k, it has the 8 speed automatic gearbox. I only have the car 6 weeks and it's been away for 2 of them trying to diagnose a vibration/resonance sensation that's only really happening under load in 6th, 7th and 8th @ 2000 rpm

If going up a hill in 7th gear at 65 mph and I accelerate hard enough to stay in 7th and not kick down, I get a strong vibration/sensation through the pedals, floor and body of the car, it is a high speed vibration like a hammer drill, the sensation increases when it changes to 8th and increases again when load is applied. As soon as I throttle off the vibration disappears. In the passenger side I can't feel it when someone else is driving.

It has been checked for the propshaft bearing among other things and a recent diagnosis pointed towards the gearbox, as far as I can make out the 8 speed automatic gearbox is bombproof, I have no other gearbox issues other than a slight ghost like 'wooooooo' noise when it goes from 1st to 2nd, the noise happens everytime.

The vibration is very annoying and it's going back again to the dealer. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this in a quattro and found the problem?

I am of the understanding that the propshaft bearing is going to be replaced as a box tick, the cayenne/touareg have the same platform and suffer this issue but at lower speed and it's more violent.

Other than the issues described I love the car, I'd hate to have to return it

Any help is greatly appreciated, if you need any clarification please ask.
wobblybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 12:26   #2
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

2010 model was 6 speed, not 8
MBQ is offline   Reply With Quote