Call me crazy! New member of the V10 family.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
2004 with 134k. Thinking I should have put a little more up for it. Salvage title, mild front end collision, easily repaired. Not sure what it should be worth.
Is there any chance of scanning these trucks with VCDS before bidding? If not, $6,000 would probably be my top on that particular truck if all of the interior looks to be in good shape. It really depends on how much money it's going to take in repairs, as parts can add up pretty quickly. Assuming good mechanicals and a couple of grand in body work, you should be doing pretty well.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
All we did was go around the block. LOL. At the next GTG, we'll have to get it out on the highway. WOT through 3rd, 4th, and 5th is fun. :D
It may have only been around the block, but I got the feeling that considering how heavy it is it really was able to pull like a fright train :cool::D
I'm sure on the highway it's pretty epic indeed!

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
Is there any chance of scanning these trucks with VCDS before bidding? If not, $6,000 would probably be my top on that particular truck if all of the interior looks to be in good shape. It really depends on how much money it's going to take in repairs, as parts can add up pretty quickly. Assuming good mechanicals and a couple of grand in body work, you should be doing pretty well.
This one there could have been a chance of scanning as it was local, but I didn't have the time. I had carfax and service history from my local dealer on the car. Service manager knew the customer and went on about how well they maintained their cars etc. It needed a bumper, fender, tie rod, drivers intercooler. Nothing crazy, and I have a parts car....

$6,000 was my thought before the auction, ended up bidding to $6,500 in the moment. Let it go at 6,600. I had already planned 3k for motor to come out and do cams, actuators, cat delete, egr delete, etc.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sounds like you have a good plan. I'm trying to avoid pulling the engine... but if I have to, it's on!

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
Sounds like you have a good plan. I'm trying to avoid pulling the engine... but if I have to, it's on!
I know it's the inevitable so I figure plan for it as well as the upgrades! Just have to keep my eye out for the right deal. I missed one in Florida about a month ago that needed cams. Sold for 4k, clean title. :mad: Keep your eye out.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
VeeDub please update on the reseal on your tandem pump. I have the same issue on mine now and I'm about to pull it into the shop to do it also. I would love to know how it comes out and any insight you might have on doing it including how long it took whomever is doing it to do.

ATR I grew up around hotrods and many of my friends still have fast cars, everyone I take for a ride in my T-reg is amazed at the instant torque the V10 produces. This is coming from guys with cars the are approaching 1000whp
So the long-awaited answer to the mystery fuel leak is...

The fuel temperature sensor leaking/spraying fuel through the electrical connector. If you're familiar with the ALH coolant migration problem, it's essentially the same thing.

The solution was to replace the fuel temp sensor, which required removing the fuel filter module and EGR valve to gain access. It took the shop about a half a day of labor to complete... not bad at all.

Thanks to Jeremy at PD Autowerks for providing excellent service yet again!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It's time for a long-overdue update. Matt Phelan just paid us a visit on his cross-country road trip to diagnose excessive exhaust smoke and some severe shuddering when the torque converter is locked.

He ended up pulling the driver's side valve cover (bank 2) and discovered... you guess it... FLAT CAMS! The intake lobe on the 4th cylinder from the front is almost completely flat and the intake lobe on the 1st cylinder is about half way flat. Based on MAF readings, bank 2 is about 1.5 cylinders down compared to bank 1 (350 vs 250). We didn't pull the valve cover on bank 1, so it's possible that its cam is also wearing.

This is the end of the road for the mighty V10. We don't want to do a $3,000+ cam job only to find out that it also needs two turbochargers and maybe a transmission. We'll be trading it in for a new vehicle in the near future.

It's been fun. I don't feel too bad since I knew about the PD cam problems and other V10 problems prior to buying this vehicle. We've had a lot of fun tinkering with it, doing some upgrades and fixing some problems along the way, but now the time has come to move on.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the truck, please send me a PM. $4,000 OBO is probably a good starting point. It runs and drives, everything functions as expected and there are no codes in any modules except for an intermittent implausible MAF code for bank 2. The code hasn't triggered a check engine light yet. The vehicle comes with two sets of wheels - the stock Fatboys in good condition with relatively new Pirellis and a set of Kartoums (rare!) with worn snow tires.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to hear about your troubles! I am fighting oil leaks on mine. Billing rebuild tandem pump and new gaskets fixes that problem. After that I'm worth you in turbo and cam job when the engine is removed.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
VeeDubTDI,

How many miles did you get out of your ownership of the Touareg?

I was able to drive one at Virginia International Raceway for a weekend, we used
it as a pace car/truck for the weekend. This was back when the Jetta TDICup was active and VW was the official manufacture sponsor of VIR for a few years.
They provided VIR with a Golf R pace car and the Touareg TDI. The Touareg
was black on black, probably an ex-manufacture rep car, it was loaded, drove like a dream.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The Touareg has made it to its new home at Matt Phelan's shop in San Anselmo, CA. Time for some new cams and some fun stomping around in the California mountains. :cool:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
The Touareg has made it to its new home at Matt Phelan's shop in San Anselmo, CA. Time for some new cams and some fun stomping around in the California mountains. :cool:
Sucker born every minute!

Oh, wait a minute...