balance shaft module

cajunspice

Veteran Member
TDI
(3) 05 passat TDI,07 dodge 1 ton cummins, 1956 2 dr sedan sbc 383
Is there any way to find out if someone had an outside source change the balance shaft module without removing the oil pan or timing belt over. The car has over 126,000 miles runs perfect and sounds perfect. Would hate to go through all the trouble and find out it had been changed recently.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Do a search of this forum. In one of MoGolf or OilHammer's posts they describe a method using the dipstick. if you drop the dipstick in the tube and it stops part way in, you still have a chain. If it goes all of the way in, you have a geared BSM. (At least I think that's what it said?)

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
you could look for signs that the pan has been off, maybe different sealant from original flesh color or that allen screws show signs of having been removed. the dipstick method is absolute in the hands of mogolf but I wasn't sure I could tell the difference after bsm change. a good ear is probably as good as anything

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Do a search of this forum. In one of MoGolf or OilHammer's posts they describe a method using the dipstick. if you drop the dipstick in the tube and it stops part way in, you still have a chain. If it goes all of the way in, you have a geared BSM. (At least I think that's what it said?)

I don't trust the drop the dipstick test. After the BSM change, mine still gets stuck and there is a very noticeable bind while pushing the stick down.

The best way is to have a trained ear listen for it, all of them will make a noise.
To the OP, perhaps you can post an audio file for us to hear.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Way too many of these threads lately....
That is because so many of these cars are getting up in miles and people buy cars used which have not been converted, whether by the guru/dealer installing the BSM unit or having a forced installation of a new motor due to the situation.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
a very small percentage of the b5.5 tdis have been converted. there are probably less than 600 that have been upgraded by choice or by, as our UK friends say "engine packed up"

cajunspice

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks, the pan has never been off I was just hoping to get lucky. Now I need to either rebuild or replace cv boots what is your opinion?

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
Replace the boots. Replace the CV joint and boot if the CV joint is making noise. Do NOT buy the cheap replacement axles at any of your local auto parts stores for this car as many, many reports that they cause vibration at idle while stopped in gear.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
avoid cheap cv boots. buy oem or equivalent, you will be glad you didn't save a couple bucks on Chinarubber.

cajunspice

Veteran Member
TDI
I have dropped the sub frame and pulled cv shafts,i have to do cv boots to.Also doing motor mounts.I am down to the chain i had to get a 20 point 10 mm today.i would like to remove the old B S M and go back up tomorrow. I am having trouble finding the torque info for the new B S M,can any one send me to a link for that info? i have two torque wrenches both only goes to 15NM .So i have two questions i am not sure of....
#1 do i put any sealer on the new B S M?????
#2 what are the torque spec. for the 8MM bolts and the 10MM bolts on the B S M in ft lbs ??? I am running behind i hope some one can help me? This has been a nothing but trouble for me.I could inframe a cummins n14 select plus in three day.Its taken a friend and i 2 days to get to chain .LOL Oilhammer yall make this stuff sound easy!! The last time a have done a timing belt was about 7yrs ago on a 4 runner.I still have lot to la
earn. Thanks
Ralph

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
#1 No sealer used on the connection of the BSM to block
#2 Torque specs are on page 24 of the PDF file you downloaded and Tony (aja8888) also sent you.

Follow the instructions in the PDF file page for page, step by step.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
To ad to what s4phillips has said, I think you may want to take the time to slowly read through the whole PDF, away from the vehicle before you return to your car. The fact that you missed the torque specs may be indicative of not thoroughly reading the instructions.

There are members who have completely reassembled their engine only to find that the missed a crucial step and had to take it apart again.

Good luck!