2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition: Do VW Buyback? Get the Emissions Fix and Restitution? Or

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I'm at a crossroads right now, just wondering if this forum has thoughtful inputs to help guide my decision making.

In May 2015, I purchased a dealer sold 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition. It had 77,675 miles at the time. Had all available options (TDI Cup Edition Body Kit, Touchscreen Navigation, DSG, Sunroof, Wing Spoiler, Mat Kit, Media Device Interface). The car was in excellent condition, with the dealer doing a complete wheel refinish, new Goodyear tires & brakes & rotors, new windshield and new headlight assemblies, and refinished the front and rear bumpers, plus did the DSG oil & filter change, brake flush/replacement, coolant flush and replacement, etc. Paid $17,050 at the time (including a $2,000.00 bumper-to-bumper 3-year warranty extension, plus all taxes). Of course, September 2015 comes along and changes everything.

Today, the car is still slightly under 80,000 miles. I didn't want to drive it in Wisconsin winters, and kept my old car for winter driving and just ended up using it most of the good weather times.

My VW buyback payment would be $17,867 (as any folks with TDI Cup Editions, you either know or will find out the NADA clean trade-in values do not consider key option values on the TDI Cup Edition, namely the Cup Edition Body Kit ($2,350.00 option value), Wing Spoiler ($499.00 option value), Mat Kit ($225.00 option value), and Media Device Interface ($199.00 option value), so $3,273.00 of options on an original window sticker of $32,903.00 (or almost exactly 10%) of the original value of this car is omitted in the NADA clean trade-in value determination. That said, the buy back would cover my total original purchase cost, and I could get back some of the remaining value on my warranty contract.

My VW restitution payment is $5,466.73 (if I take the emissions fix, which hasn't yet been proposed, much less EPA & CARB approved). How much this emissions fix will affect performance and economy, of course, isn't known. Plus, I'm thinking it likely there will be no emissions fix (either offered by VW or accepted by the EPA & CARB), so this option may not exist in the end. I thought a Gen I TDI emissions fix proposal was due by VW on January 27, 2017, but I haven't heard if this deadline was met by VW or not. I have heard a new deadline is now set for March 3, 2017 for the Gen I 2.0L TDI's. Anyone know anything more about this?

Of course, then there is the Opt Out option and just keep it. Given I would have to keep it until the wheels fall off because of how limited my selling options would be (couldn't sell it to regions where emissions testing is done, of course).

Now I also understand Bosch is participating in an additional restitution ($1,500.00 for 3.0L TDI's, and $375.00 for 2.0L TDI's). For the 3.0L TDI's, I understand Bosch is also providing some kind of extended warranty on the engine components, including pumps, injectors, etc. For the 2.0L TDI, this would have a lot of value given the issues associated with the high pressure fuel pump failures. One, I don't know why the 2.0L TDI receives so much less restitution value than the 3.0L TDI owners receive. Two, I don't think the 2.0L TDI owners get a Bosch warranty extension like the 3.0L TDI owners get. Not sure on this, but this is what I am thinking.

So, given all this, anyone out there have any good inputs to help me with my decision process?

Last edited:

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
sounds like a nice ride... our decision was easier as 1) we think it's a great vehicle 2) it's the only type in its low price range 3) the warranty extension [11yr/162,000mi] and 4) the money

that said, if you can walk away with some extra change the buyback may be tempting... but then you have to ask yourself:

"Can I find another car like this one?"

if you can, then perhaps the decision is easy?

we know that we'll never be able to buy a diesel station wagon for $18,500 new, so we're keeping our wagen and have stashed the cash...

willie
on the 'smile with every mile' Gulf of Mexico

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Drive it like you stole it for the next year and turn it in. Enjoy the car at very minimum depreciation. Option 2, hold the car in its premium condition and maybe the second hand market will view it as a unicorn and demand it at a later time. This all depends on the value of money in your pocket, either you can or cannot afford to make the bet that it will be worth much more in the future.

The 2.0's are getting less because the financial impact was less. It was all based on a percentage of value. The Bosch dollars were divided equally among the class. There was a total penalty amount in both scenarios and equally divided. For the 2.0's there are 450,000 claims vs in the 3.0's there are only 85,000ish so the amounts are very different because the pools are vastly different sizes.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Drive it like you stole it for the next year and turn it in. Enjoy the car at very minimum depreciation. Option 2, hold the car in its premium condition and maybe the second hand market will view it as a unicorn and demand it at a later time. This all depends on the value of money in your pocket, either you can or cannot afford to make the bet that it will be worth much more in the future.

The 2.0's are getting less because the financial impact was less. It was all based on a percentage of value. The Bosch dollars were divided equally among the class. There was a total penalty amount in both scenarios and equally divided. For the 2.0's there are 450,000 claims vs in the 3.0's there are only 85,000ish so the amounts are very different because the pools are vastly different sizes.
That explanation makes sense, in a way. I don't think the Bosch dollars should have been divided equally between the classes, because the class sizes were much different. But I understand why the benefit impacts are different now.

Do you (or anyone) know if Bosch is extending a warranty for various parts/systems on the vehicles in these classes? I heard they were, but have no details. I'm concerned with the high pressure fuel pumps in the early 2.0L TDI's and was hoping Bosch is including a warranty benefit for these as well.

Lastly, anyone know how Bosch's settlement is being handled for distribution? It is not in the VW settlement values (or at least wasn't earlier). Does a separate claim need to be made to qualify for the Bosch settlement?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
To my knowledge, Bosh isn't providing an extended warranty to anyone. VW is providing an extended warranty to anyone who gets a fix (which is currently only the MY2015 2-liter owners; unknown whether or when a fix will be approved for any other cars, though the signs seem positive). VW is also providing some sort of extended warranty to 3-liter owners before getting the fix, but not to 2-liter owners.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Here is what I would recommend. If you really like the car, hold off on doing the buyback until 2018 and see if a fix gets released. You should be able to find out what the performance hit will be with the fix by that time too, assuming it is rolled out in the next year.

As was mentioned, you are basically driving the car for free and it doesn't sound like you put many miles on it each year anyway, so your total buyback could even go up by a few hundred dollars. Remember you get a mileage adjustment credit of 1042 miles every month. The settlement uses 5,000 mile increments for the mileage brackets. So you could theoretically drop two or three brackets in the next two years.

If no fix is ever offered for the Gen 1 cars, I have no idea what the options will be for owners wanting to keep their cars. In some areas, they may not be able to be registered. But you'll know by next year if a fix is available.

Regarding value, I'm really not sure what will happen with the VW TDIs. Cup editions are unique, but not particularly special. It really is an appearance package with some added suspension, brakes and wheels. The engine is identical to every other 2010 TDI out there. And it wasn't all that exciting to begin with. My guess is the car will hold its value much better than a comparable gasser and non-Cup Jetta, but you already have too many miles on it to be a collectible and I doubt you will ever get a better offer than the buyback price. However, if a fix does come along, you get the restitution value and have a car that is still going to be as unique as it is today, and actually even more so given that many of these will have been taken off the road.

Of course we still don't know what VW will do with all of the TDIs they had to buyback. If fixes get approved for the Gen 1 cars we could see the used TDI market get flooded with cars. I could see VW fixing these cars and then dumping them into the auction market. Even if they recoup 25% of the buyback prices, we're still talking $3 billion plus dollars. That's not chump change to even a big company like VW. If that happens, I think values of TDIs will plummet.

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
The following is from jalopnik.com, Feb 6 2017:

VW outlines additional benefits below for all owners of affected 3.0-liter diesel vehicles:
...one free AdBlue refill and oil change...refunds of unused portions of extended warranties and service plans; loaner cars while their vehicles are being modified or repaired; and for Class Members who get a buyback, forgiveness of auto loan balances to the extent these exceed their buyback amount.

On top of that, anyone who gets their cars modified or repaired will have a nice warranty that includes an Engine Long Block Warranty (which covers the engine sub-assembly: block, crankshaft, head, camshaft, valvetrain) as well as an emissions control system warranty.

That latter warranty includes the entire exhaust aftertreatment system, the entire fuel system (including fuel pumps), the EGR system, and the turbocharger system.
Both of those warranties last either 10 years and 120,000 miles after the car’s initial purchase date, or four years and 48,000 miles from the date of the emissions modification.

While the reference is for 3.0L TDI's, I would expect the same for 2.0L TDI's. And the warranty reference appears to be from VW, not Bosch. Long blocks typically include engine mounted fuel pumps (which the high pressure fuel pump is) and injectors and other fuel related systems, so I suspect this is part of the warranty.

Does anyone know, with certainty, if this same warranty applies to "fixed" 2.0L TDI's?

And does anyone know what (if anything) needs to be done to get the Bosch component of the settlement?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Does anyone know, with certainty, if this same warranty applies to "fixed" 2.0L TDI's?
There's no need to speculate about what the 2-liter extended warranty includes; it's been published since last June in the court documents. The HPFP is specifically included.

And does anyone know what (if anything) needs to be done to get the Bosch component of the settlement?
A couple of folks here have reported talking with class counsel and being told that you'll get that check in the mail automatically.