Wife wants a TDI beetle

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Ok,

Wife has finally decided to come over from the dark side. She wants a TDI Beetle, but due to a bad/arthritic knee, it has to be an automatic. I was hoping I could get her a stick, but.....

Anyway, I know the horror stories about the 01M automatics from 1998-2003, so it looks like I will be looking at a 2004-2006 model. Of course this limit me to the BEW PD engine instead of the ALH I am familiar with.

I hate to ask and be told "do a search", as I did a basic search and found everything but what I wanted. I know little about the PD engines except for the oil requirement and a bit about the lift pump issue. As for the Beetle model itself, well, I am a Jetta man so........

Please give me some tips...i.e reliability, known issues, what to look for and what to avoid, when is the timing belt due, etc.....I have had a TDI since 2002, so I know my way around most things, but need to be brought up to speed on VW automatics, BEW/PD motors, and the Beetle model itself.

Many thanks in advance,

Glenn

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Ok,

Wife has finally decided to come over from the dark side. She wants a TDI Beetle, but due to a bad/arthritic knee, it has to be an automatic. I was hoping I could get her a stick, but.....

Anyway, I know the horror stories about the 01M automatics from 1998-2003, so it looks like I will be looking at a 2004-2006 model. Of course this limit me to the BEW PD engine instead of the ALH I am familiar with.

I hate to ask and be told "do a search", as I did a basic search and found everything but what I wanted. I know little about the PD engines except for the oil requirement and a bit about the lift pump issue. As for the Beetle model itself, well, I am a Jetta man so........

Please give me some tips...i.e reliability, known issues, what to look for and what to avoid, when is the timing belt due, etc.....I have had a TDI since 2002, so I know my way around most things, but need to be brought up to speed on VW automatics, BEW/PD motors, and the Beetle model itself.

Many thanks in advance,

Glenn
I'll deny I ever said this ....... but I would opt for an ALH even with a 01m8u2 tranny. Why? All autos suck (whether it is the 01m8u2, the Failtronic, and the DSG---German for Fail). They all suck and they will all fail and cost a mint when they do so why not by a Cheaper ALH (cheaper oil, no head/oil issue and the same parts you are currently using). Unless you are getting one only a few years old, you will need a bunch of ketchup maintenance anyway. Just a thought ......

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I can only comment on the Beetle model in general. The biggest drawback for me is the low low ground clearence and angle of approach. You have to be really watchful of what you straddle and how you go in and out of any entrances and exits. The grille is also prone to breakage and will be taken out by critters just waiting to become roadkill. I'm on my 4th grille. Definately get a panzer belly pan,its a must with the Beetle! We have 145k on ours now and it has been pretty good other than having to replace the glow plug wiring harness and a couple of water temp sensors. Hope that helps.

dweisel

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
Ok,

Many thanks in advance,

Glenn
I mantain our families TDI fleet of a 2003 Jetta manual, 2006 NB DSG, and a 2009 JSW DSG and the Beetle is my Dad's pride and joy. First "stuff" is alway happening to our cars, when I was first looking at TDI ( 2002 )it was the relay 109 death punch that was the hot topic, windows clips and a running oil war. My dad's car has 51k miles on it and he has driven it as a new carn with no problems. Good points I found that the filter set from a 2003 Jetta (ALH) will fit a 2006 NB (BEW)the only real differance is oil and yes I have used the 505.01 spec oil only in it. The other fluids like brake and power steering are the same as well for both cars. Head room is out of this world, a real sense of airyness sort of driving a bubble.

Now some of the quirks, things are tight in the engine bay, buy a manual because getting to things isn't as streight forward in a Jetta. DSGs are different to drive and service, some are used to at low speed an instantainious flow of power but some DSG's will have to " think " about what gear to be in. DSG service in Delaware is $400 at a dealer and needs to done every 40 k miles. My plan is to learn how to do it and fab my own filling tool, a DIY kit of fluid, filter and gasket run anout $145 or so. The trunk is small, my dad and I have taken longish trips in it but used soft luggage to fit in the nooks and cranies. While refulling all sorts of people will come up and ask about your beetle and is it really a diesel.....my dad pulled into some truck lanes ( no auto diesel at this place ) and had 3 OTR drivers asking about the car. Until the 2012 NB ( MK III NB? ) the newist diesel NB will be the 2006.

Hope this helps.
Jump62
aka Paul

PS haven't lost a single grill yet