new single tank record for me!

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
758.8 / 14.9 = 50.926174496644295302013422818792 MPG.

Sacramento to Phoenix one one tank. Kept the tach at 2500 RPM as much as possible during the drive.

I attached my digicam to the seat and took one frame every 15 minutes. If you want to see the results of that, check here: http://tdi.mine.nu/gallery/az-0403/

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
ducati, at that pace you should have been able to hit 900 miles (assuming you vent)..forget the 750 miles business!

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
yes, I have 17s. I'm running the tires at 38PSI all 'round. I vented it all the way up the neck til it was nearly spilling out.

i do have an upsolute chip, and an uncleaned intake maniforld with 45k miles too.

this drive required driving over some mountain passes too.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
heh i was at my destination! the light beeped 1 mile before my offramp. i'm sure i could have gone 50-100 more miles if i wanted to...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
you could have probably made it to Tucson...no sweat!

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
[ QUOTE ]
...at that pace you should have been able to hit 900 miles (assuming you vent)...

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, that seems MIGHTY optimistic to me...

The tach would have had to have been a couple hundred RPMs lower to make 900, IMO... (w/o too much sphincter action)

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...at that pace you should have been able to hit 900 miles (assuming you vent)...

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, that seems MIGHTY optimistic to me...

The tach would have had to have been a couple hundred RPMs lower to make 900, IMO... (w/o too much sphincter action)

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, I think it'd have to be around 2000RPM to get that... and here in calif (and arizona for that matter) it's impossible. oh well, im thrilled with the knowledge that i coulda hit 800. i consider myself a member of the 800 mile club. next time i get the chance, i will make sure to run it that far.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]

yea, I think it'd have to be around 2000RPM to get that...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can actually keep it to 2K RPM w/ CC, you'd have a decent shot at 1K miles on the tank (as long was it wasn't the middle of summer). You only need to set the CC to ~65mph (true) to hit the 900 club. Give it a try next time. Good luck.

LuvaDub

Veteran Member
TDI
2K TDI NB
WTH??? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Holy ihst! I started writing down my numbers and am totally sickened by my economy. My miles on a tank yesterday was only 560.1. Which is still better than I was getting but that was b4 ventectomy.

I'm getting about 36-37 mpg /images/graemlins/frown.gif ... this is avg from 2 tanks. What are you doing differently, I also have upsolute and on 17's. I have to check what pressure on my tires. I'm jealous! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I get 40-41 w/my modded car. Average. I really light footed the last tank, well....the first 2/3rd's anyway. Back to 46. Soooooo......you get the idea.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
LuvaDub, check that right foot of yours (ie be gentle on the "diesel pedal").

Your 17's don't help, neither the aerodynamics of the NB (0.38), which are worst than my B4V's (0.34) and any TDI. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

LuvaDub

Veteran Member
TDI
2K TDI NB
/images/graemlins/blush.gif Yes, I know... I do have a heavy foot. This is why I got a performance chip BUT other members with way more stuff done performance-wise are claiming to have over 40 MPG. And I thought that the chip was supposed to improve economy anyways. Is my IQ too high? (on the car)

mdt

Veteran Member
Hey Ducati,

You're website is a great source of MOD info. Thanks for the effort!

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before, but for those folks who are obsessive/compulsive fuel economy optimizers, does the Upsolute Powerchip MOD help fuel economy? I try to keep my go pedal near max torque, I'm easy on it, I keep 40/38 psi front/rear, I'm on top of maintenance, my fuel inj. adaptation is 3 degrees advanced, so I'm looking for the next little (big?) jump in fuel economy.

I've been getting ~44 mpg for the last few tanks mixed
city/highway (prolly 40:60). Yes, I realize this is good...

Burning $2.91/gallon B100 keeps me in the hunt for better fuel economy /images/graemlins/wink.gif

tia,

-mt

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/blush.gif Yes, I know... I do have a heavy foot. This is why I got a performance chip...

[/ QUOTE ]
You only get better mileage with the chip IF you are not always going full throttle. If you are always using the full power available from the chip then you will use more fuel.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
[ QUOTE ]
(snip) I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before, but for those folks who are obsessive/compulsive fuel economy optimizers, does the Upsolute Powerchip MOD help fuel economy? (snip)

[/ QUOTE ]

__. As someone with over 55 MPG total over 40K miles, I think I qualify as one of those "obsessive/compulsive fuel economy optimizers" but my answer would be "who cares?"

__. The chips are, what, $300. OK, if I'm averaging 57 MPG and a chip is worth 3 MPG (and I bet that's *really* stretching it), then a tank of fuel @15 gallons would be 900 miles versus 855. That means for every tank, I'd save 45 miles or .75 of a gallon. At fuel at $1.50 gallon, that would be $1.12 per tank I'd saved. OK, so $300 divided by $1.12 per tank means that I'd need to run 268 tanks or 241K miles to make the chip pay for itself.

__. I'm sure that a chipped car runs great and if someone wants one, that's fine ... but, does it seem like a good investment for fuel economy? Not to me ...
-

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
mdt, you probably don't want to hear/read this, but, your singular biggest improvement in mileage would be to go from B100 to DFO#2.

But, if it makes you feel any better, the pricing gap between the two is getting narrower. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
i dont think the chip changed my mileage one damn bit. i bought a chip for the fun factor, and i bought a tdi for the combination of economy and performance and quality and styling and tuneability. this is my 4th vw, and my 4th diesel car.

i'm not a fan of economy obsession. my lifetime average is 36. most of my driving is in town, not on the highway... a full tank of highway driving is a rarity for me.

it is my opinion that nobody should purchase a chip in the name of attempting to increase their economy. if you're not looking to upgrade the fun factor of the car, they why bother? if you ARE looking to increase the fahrvergnugen with a chip, you will counter the effects of economy because you won't be able to help but punch it out of stoplights and smoke 99% of the cars on the road through the intersection.

enjoy the drive. if you want to obsess about economy, there is a prius on the market and it gets 60MPG.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
(snip)enjoy the drive. if you want to obsess about economy, there is a prius on the market and it gets 60MPG.

[/ QUOTE ]

__. Yeah, but I want a real car, not an overgrown golf cart! And I'm not stepping down in MPG to drive a Prius! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif (I have over a 55 MPG lifetime average and a best tank of 62.4 MPG).
-

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
man you must have a light foot and a nice long highway commute across central america. thats not possible here in california!

MELSBUG

TDI
New Beetle, 2001, Silver
WOW! That is incredible. I'm embarassed to say but I had to go online to figure out how to convert my L/km to MPG (after I figured out what the heck MPG stood for /images/graemlins/blush.gif). I just found this forum and have already learned so much...now I want to learn about fuel ecomony because apparently I am getting really crappy mileage. I average 6.7L/100km which if I did it right is around 35 MPG. I probably drive 60% highway 40% city. Any suggestions?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
man you must have a light foot and a nice long highway commute across central america. thats not possible here in california!

[/ QUOTE ]

__. It's not possible with a chip, big wide soft tires, etc. (or at least not likely). We make our choices and see the results.
-

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
my point exactly. i run 17s and have suspension and a chip because i want performance. in my opinion purchasing a chip for economy (and not taking advantage of it for what it's for) is silly. you won't gain mileage, and even if you did you'd never recoup the cost.

kd4yor

Veteran Member
TDI
J5
DANG!!!!
I've only been able to best 580mi out of 13.5 gal.

How are you getting 14+ gal in the car?
How are you getting over 700mi to a tank?
Pat

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
[ QUOTE ]
I'm embarassed to say but I had to go online to figure out how to convert my L/km to MPG

[/ QUOTE ]Don't be embarassed. That L/100 km stuff will confuse anyone. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

However, next time you need to do this, go to the menu across the top of this screen, and click on "Unit Conversions." If you don't have Internet Explorer, it may be slightly misaligned, but it still works.