busted my oil pan

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver Arrow
It happened to me yesterday. Go figure I was pricing the full metal jacket two weeks ago but decided to hold off until more funds become available...well...that was a decision I am regretting now.

It appears I have food poisoning and prior to puking my guts up, I started having cold sweats and hot flashes.....then while driving to work, I blacked out and hit a curb knocking a hole in the oil pan.

Pics to follow...

silly me, I should have ordered the full metal jacket!!! Now I'm pricing oil pans as well!

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the vote...if I win, do I get a cash prize of $457.62? :eek:
(a check made payable to European Imports would do just fine too)

davidtdi

TDI
03 golf tdi
I just got the full metal jacket and skid plate myself. I just need to install it this weekend. Hope you feel better.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
.....then while driving to work, I blacked out and hit a curb knocking a hole in the oil pan. ...
The undertray, even if you had been able to find one made of unobtanium, would not have protected you. Or your car.

Count yourself lucky you didn't kill someone. Blacking out while driving? Sheesh. Buy a lottery ticket, dude!

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Good thing you hit the curb and not a person and/or car. And good thing you only did the oil pan it from the sounds of it. I don't think even in this case the belly pan wouldn't have done much other then make the oil pan cracks smaller. The belly pans are like a condom. Most of the time they work but not in all cases and I think this case is the one.

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah really, It could have been worse. I know I am lucky nobody got hurt or worse. I'm not complaining at all about the oil pan. I'll learn a lesson from this...Next time I feel THAT bad, I am calling off work. Cudos to my coworkers who not only drove me home but also cleaned up the mess I made in the mens room:eek:

I just hope the engine & turbo didn't sustain any damage from oil starvation. I didn't notice any unusual noise, smoke, loss of power etc...from the point of impact, I drove approximately 30 seconds while oil spewed out. There was a good sized pudddle under the car after I shut it down.....so I assume there was enough lubrication to prevent damage..... I guess I'll find out on Tuesday.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Well, if there wasn't any light then there wasn't any turbo/engine damage other then the stated issue of the oil pan. Check everything else over well for damage.

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
:eek: well...my CEL has been on for years now, intermittant glow plug fault and coolant temp sensor crapped out while back. I have the parts, just need the time to r&r.

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
THE GOOD: engine is fine, in fact, the mechanic commented on how clean the bottom end of the motor is and also there was no sludge in the oil pan. Not bad for a car with 165 miles...

THE BAD: oil got on the right front brake disc and now it pulls to the left when braking & I hear a clunk in the suspension...

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Depending on how careful you are with brake cleaner you might be able to get the oil off the brake parts. Will need to pull the caliper off the rotor to get the pads cleaned as well. Shouldn't be the end of the brakes on the side.