First a whistle.Then loss of power and Noise

BrokenDown

This is on a 96 TDI Passat.With Wett.chip..
First there was a whistle..Then as shifting loud noise.Loss of power.Like there isnt any turbo..Sometimes the noise isnt loud after shifting.But other times you can still hear it.I havent driven it yet.Happened while the wife was driving..I'm hoping on some insight so i know what to listen/look for when i take it out..Thanks

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I don't know about your car, but maybe you could start from the manifold. You have to look carefully, even on the side you can't see, squeezing the pipe somewhat to highlight a possible tear. The air is pressurized all the way from the intake to the intercooler and down to the turbo. There are several rubber hoses. Check for holes in the plastic pipe and intercooler too. Maybe a hose only blew off.

BrokenDown

K..will do..Also just took it for a spin..only way i can discribe the noise i hear is like a rattling cage..that sounds like its towards the lower part of engine...Is it safe to drive like this.? Want to bring it somewhere where i can get a better look for those hoses.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
These are guesses on my part, based on the fact you said there was a whistle. I don't know about the rattling noise. Maybe a hose blew off underneath and is rattling around with the clamp. Then again maybe it's the turbo, and you don't want that to blow. I'd take a look at it ASAP.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Rattling noise? When I bought my jetta used, it came with the 'rattling noise' option already installed.
I took it to a VW mechanic, and they found a loose heat shield (not sure which one it was, though) and they attached it up for me. Haven't had any more rattle in 1.5 years. Just a thought...but this wouldn't cause any loss in power.

The hose in question that many are talking about is running from the top of the engine towards the drivers side. There are two plastic pipes there, and it attaches to one of them. It is a short length...maybe 8 inches or so. This pipe seems to enjoy splitting on people and causing power issues. One big hint that it is popped: there might be some oil residue sprayed on the firewall near that point (the panel which seperates the engine bay from the cabin)