Golf runs great but overboosts...Nothing seems to fix it! Please help me

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
It takes about an hour longer to remove and replace the turbo than if you remove the intake manifold due to having to work around it and torque it down.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

So would you recommend i just remove the entire turbo from underneath the car?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Sure, unless you want to remove the intake and clean it good, or replace it.

The only way to get it out otherwise is from under

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Well I just finished removing my turbo and popped off the side housing and found this:

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=128895&title=img
8098&cat=500][img]http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/thumbs/IMG_8098.JPG[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

The vanes would barely move so i sprayed wd40 and they now move freely with the lever and by hand; Problem is the fins and the fact that this looks different than other turbos :/

Is it hopeless? Do i need to dig into my emergency fund and buy a turbo?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Is it hopeless? Do i need to dig into my emergency fund and buy a turbo?
How many miles are on the turbo?
The turbo may go together and work fine, however, once it starts having issues it's just a matter of time before complete failure.
You could get a couple of months and you could get more.
Either way, I would expect to have to replace it soon.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
This one had less than 90k miles on it; I figured its toast...Would this be why i was getting overboost is the worn turbo?

Once i bolt up the new turbo it should be good to go right?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The Turbine in the pic below appears to be damaged. However, I've never been inside a Borg Warner, so, I may be wrong.

In the pic below, the Impeller and surrounding area appear to have soot on them. There shouldn't be any soot on that side, oil, yes. But, the quality of the pic and angle may be deceiving. EDIT: Ignore this previous comment. The pic below is just another angle of the Turbine on the Exhaust Side .......... I did say I'd never been inside a Borg Warner Turbo:D

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
That's the exhaust side, why do you think there shouldn't be any soot?
There shouldn't be any oil like there is seeping across it, however, not so bad.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Theres a local mechanic selling new garrett turbos; Claims this is a VNT 17 (GT1749v)

http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/applications/778445-0001.php

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garrett-778445-5001-GT1749V-Turbo-Upgrade-for-VW-1-9L-TDI-/202441620968

Not looking at price just the turbo itself as he is selling it for $700 with everything needed to bolt onto BEW (plus taxes but still under $800)

Im leaning towards going for it but what do you guys think? Its a steep price but he will also buy my existing turbo for $100

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
That's the exhaust side, why do you think there shouldn't be any soot?
There shouldn't be any oil like there is seeping across it, however, not so bad.

I'll edit my post...... (my bad)...

In the top photo (my post), it is extremely obvious that's the Turbine on the Exhaust side.

In the bottom photo, from the angle, I thought that to be the Impeller on the compressor side as the pipe leading off looks to be aluminum ...

And, yes, there'll be both soot and oil on the Turbine side.... however, the amount of oil should be extremely small, basically absent.

It would be interesting to know how many miles since the OP did the Chemical Clean....

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The 1749vb is a good turbo from my experience. I am curious if that includes the oil supply line?
The price is decent and the turbo will do you right.
Just need to consider all desired future upgrades.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
The 1749vb is a good turbo from my experience. I am curious if that includes the oil supply line?
The price is decent and the turbo will do you right.
Just need to consider all desired future upgrades.

No but i ordered a flexible oil line and i am excited to fix it up! Would i need bigger injectors also for this turbo? I heard the EGR needs some attention after installing this turbo to make sure its working right

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
I'll edit my post...... (my bad)...

In the top photo (my post), it is extremely obvious that's the Turbine on the Exhaust side.

In the bottom photo, from the angle, I thought that to be the Impeller on the compressor side as the pipe leading off looks to be aluminum ...

And, yes, there'll be both soot and oil on the Turbine side.... however, the amount of oil should be extremely small, basically absent.

It would be interesting to know how many miles since the OP did the Chemical Clean....

Since the oven cleaner it has been less than 2k miles and i did not notice an improvement which is why i removed the turbo to inspect

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Unless you are going to be getting a tune, the turbo is just going to be give stock boost and larger injectors are unnecessary.
If you want a tune and if you are going to need new injectors you could plan to upgrade and tune for the injectors.
You should decide what you want overall and aim for that right now. A VNT17/22 is another one that would be possible and is larger than the VNT17 but not by a whole lot. It will increase lag a touch more until you get larger injectors and a tune.

This is always the moment people begin to choose to do upgrades and not fully considering the engines condition and where you really want to end up.

I picked a VNT17 with the intention of hitting 120whp and I am on the way to 150whp. I am guessing I was sitting around 120whp this summer and it was fun. I'm impressed with the fact that we can do so much for power and Improve efficiency as well.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Currently i have a stage 1 tune from malone as i was worried about boost creep; Once i get this turbo installed and see that it wont overboost i would like to go with the stage 1.5 tune and be done; But will the car run fine without the injectors and with stage 1.5 tune?

Im just looking to have a reliable car with some boost in power nothing crazy

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
These are questions for Malone
Currently i have a stage 1 tune from malone as i was worried about boost creep; Once i get this turbo installed and see that it wont overboost i would like to go with the stage 1.5 tune and be done; But will the car run fine without the injectors and with stage 1.5 tune?

Im just looking to have a reliable car with some boost in power nothing crazy
I am not the expert and I am getting ready to install injectors myself. When I asked in upgrades I was referred to my tuner, I was happy when Owain responded with his recommendation.
You should email and ask for their recommendation, they are the experts.