How to separate outer cv joint, to put on new boot

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I'm trying to replace the outer cv boot on my 98 Jetta. I'm trying to do this without pulling the whole axle, but at this point, I might just pull the whole thing. I have the cv joint or of the rotor mount, and the old cv boot is cut off, but I can't figure out how to separate the joint so I can fit the new boot on. I don't see a cotter pin or lock ring. I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
use rubber mallet or dead blow hammer, the CV joint has to overcome a small spring that keeps it on the shaft.

I typically hold on to the threaded end and hold it steady and then beat on the edge of the CV with a non-destructive hammer. Don't be surprised when it comes loose, it will pop off fast when it does go. Try and assist with this by pulling on the CV with the hand doing the steadying.

Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you need a BFG
mark the orientation of the inner and outer parts with a file and keep track of where the balls go, egg carton works best
put it back together DRY, then pack the grease in by hand then install boot and parts.

you will need 2 rolls of paper towels, a can of brake cleaner and a new boot.

get to work, not mismatch the placement of things though otherwise it will not last as long.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
After ten minutes of beating on it, it come apart. I get what you are saying now
Now you know what to expect every time you deal with one of these.

I've actually had them off the car and in a vice with the outer CV hanging down and still been unable to get it to pop off.

Glad you got it done!

Steve

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Now you know what to expect every time you deal with one of these.

I've actually had them off the car and in a vice with the outer CV hanging down and still been unable to get it to pop off.

Glad you got it done!

Steve
Oh man, I made a huge mistake one time. I tried changing the boot over my hour lunch break at work and ended up doing all this.

I had to eventually remove the entire axle, at which point I furiously beat it with a sledge hammer for over an hour before the retaining clip finally broke in half and it came loose. It was very bad. Had to call my wife to come pick me up 45 minutes away, then leave my car sitting at work while my new axle came in.

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Yowza.

I also had to take the axel out. Since i had the 12-point sockets, and there are only 6, i figured it'd be easier to beat on this in a vice. But it would have been nice to do it all with the axle still on the car to save some time.

Funny thing was, once it broke free, it was easy to separate and easy to reassemble. Crazy. I have a rubber BMFH that did the trick. The thing looks like something Thor would appreciate.