1996 B4 1Z connecting rod bearings

k9mattk

TDI
1996 passat, 2005 jetta
wondering if anyone has attempted to replace rod bearings with motor in car. Pretty sure I have the beginning of a rod knock. Slight knock just under load. kinda hard to hear at idle with the rest of the diesel chatter. 300k on motor think at this point just going to do what it needs. Although a complete bearing and ring job would probably be the best way to go.

thanks.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Fuel injector issues can disguise themselves as rod knocks. A dripping injector makes odd noises.

I would not expect your engine to need new rings at 300k miles. My donor at 240k miles had factory cross-hatching still clearly visible. The valve job, perhaps, but only thing I encountered was new exhaust valve guides at the 240k mile head cleaning before install.

That is unless your car had particularly hard life with poor maintenance before you got it.

Steve

k9mattk

TDI
1996 passat, 2005 jetta
will look into it further before attempting anything Did get a complete set of new injectors a decade ago. Had car since new changed oil every 3 to 4 k with spec oil and vw filter. was more curious if on that motor you can slip new bearings in. Have done it on other engines just never a TDI.

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
As said before, that knock can be other issues.

I would start by rotate the engine by hand and check for smooth rotation.

Then removing the valve cover and check the camshaft and lifters.

If everything is ok there, remove the sump and check for play on the connecting rods.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
if you got even a slight rod knock it's probably toast...crank and rods will need to be inspected by a machine shop...so you are looking at a short block rebuild...

you can drop the oil pan on just about any car and replace the rod bearings if you suspect they are nearing end of life...and somewhat extend the life of your short block...(it's popular with 944 guys since it has known rod bearing issues)...

if the old bearings look fine then slap new ones in and go...if they are worn, flattened, distorted...well you can try new bearings but it probably won't last long before they go bad again