ALH Wagon, no power for 7 seconds, then vroom!

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 tdi, 2006 Jetta DSG, 2003 ALH Wagon
My 03 ALH wagon has been running so good for 4 years now and then all of the sudden I hit the gas to leave a parking lot and all it did was crawl out and down the street. At first I thought to pull over and check all my vacuum lines to be sure nothing fell off or was leaking, everything seemed good. As I absolutely had to get going, I decided to try driving again. I put it in first gear, hit the gas and nothing but a slow crawl to about 20 miles per hour. I held it to the floor hoping something good would happen....and it did! The car took off like it used to. Hit second gear, then third, all worked great. Decided to beat on it during the ride home in case the turbo mechanism was stuck with carbon. The car ran just fine all the way home. (20 miles) Started again the next day and the same sequence of events happened, floored it, moved slow for about 7 seconds and then it took off, ran fine until I turn the key off and restart. Does it again.... Anybody have any idea what causes this exact problem? Turbo must be fine, as it pulls just like it always did, intake is practically spotless due to the tune having an EGR delete and the vacuum hose is physically unhooked and plugged. (I did pull the intake hose and look inside)
Thank you.

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I read your reply about the MAF, so I unplugged it. The car takes off immediately when I hit the pedal, just like it did long ago. If I turn off the key and restart, it is still good. But, if I plug the MAF back in, I have to wait 7 seconds to get any power. Does this mean the MAF is faulty, dirty?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
VNT Actuator stuck, N75 faulty, Turbo vanes coked. X2 on no codes as if it is boost your should get an under boost code.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
Sounds like you found the problem. Get a new MAF. I have had good service with the cheaper ones on Ebay. A faulty MAF will not always throw a code. If the car runs better with it unplugged then put a new one in.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The MAF isn't providing a reading to the ECU. If the ECU doesn't see air, it won't deliver fuel. Hence, no power. After a few seconds the car goes into MAF default mode and provides a reading. But you're still not getting full power. If you think the car runs OK in MAF delete then the MAF has been faulty for a while.

Get a new one. Yes, you can get one on eBay but it may or may not provide accurate data, so you may be sub-optimizing performance. Just my .02.

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Have I mentioned lately, that I love you people! I will buy a MAF from IDParts today and get it done. Thank you all. I will report back with results.
Best regards,
Cam