Fog light diameter?

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
1. Why are there TWO locations for fog lights, NEXT TO the turn signals, and BELOW the turn signals??!?

3. What is the diameter for each position , 2.5 inch, 3 inch, or 3.5 inch ??

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Ah there are actually 4, There is a euro bumper configuration for both positions. and there are break ducts for them as well, I done know, were not engeneers for VW back in the 90's

no idea on the size your talking about, there all square.
The euro and the USA bumpers have opposing orientation for the fog light bolts position. many of us have trimmed a bit here and there to get the aftermarket crap to work. Hella is the best brand and worth the cost.
Depending on the position and the brand you get, the light could be flush, or like 2 inches in diameter, my fogs backing cap is like 2.75" i think, i didnt measure it but its fairly large. HIG 3000K FTW with blacked out hellas

Last edited:

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
There is only One location for the MK3 and that between the turn signals. All other are aftermarket items. Rice on......

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Here’s a picture with the two positions for fogs.
“FOG1” is where the OEM fogs seem to go.
“FOG2” is a grille with a circle cutout, just the right size to bolt in a round fog.
Sellers are offering well decent LED fogs for BOTH positions.
Which position is the best for fogs on these TDI beast driving machines??

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Fog1 is for fog/driving lights, Fog2 is just an air duct on the passenger side that matches the one for the intercooler which is mounted on the driver side.

There was never a fog / driving light installed in your "Fog2" location. Not on Mk3 or B4

Steve

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Here’s a picture with the two positions for fogs.
“FOG1” is where the OEM fogs seem to go.
“FOG2” is a grille with a circle cutout, just the right size to bolt in a round fog.
Sellers are offering well decent LED fogs for BOTH positions.
Which position is the best for fogs on these TDI beast driving machines??
FOG2 will not work as your "TDI beast driving machines" will need to keep your turbo air cool....May want to do some research next time. :cool:

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Dual purpose DRL Halo/Fogs (2.5 inch diameter) are ordered and on their way!
ETA about 2 weeks... just in time for rainy snowy dark and dreary winter weather...
Cost $10 free shipping!
Reviews say the fog is bright, the halo DRL makes them look up to date, and they is well worth the cost.
Pics for the curious...

Last edited:

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Going for the ricer look....Can't wait to see all you hard work....German car with Chinese crap...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
good lord this got dum and 1999 ricer really fast.

Turn signal and fog lights are swapped depending on Euro or USA market. there was never a "fog 2" ever DTRL were headlights and the fog lights on the INNER part of the fender in USA and outer part in Euro. well i dont live in euro so i cant attest to the other variations out there but thats how i always read up on it.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahem.. ricer ?! Lol.
I’m planning to install these fogs in the German-intended “FOG1” position.
They’ll look pretty much OEM if you don’t crouch down and look close because I’ll add a lens to fill up the entire missing rectangle space gap currently located next to the turn signal where the passive reflector in the shape of the fogs was..

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
it will be interesting to see the results, that would be nice if you could get it to work with the original parts. there is not much space in there though. mounting is always though within he bumper with out extensive fab.
Fog lights are a joke, they do nothing for drivability unless there HIDs with cutoffs.

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
Why not just get some stock fogs from a scrap yard if you're going to put them in the same area anyways? 3 weeks ago I got the two fogs, and the harness for $15CAD from the wreckers, so they shouldn't be too expensive.

And I noticed a huge improvement with the fogs. I have a euro switch, so I can turn them on separately from my headlights, but the overall difference is huge.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
If I was to go picking at a junk yard, what would I need, harness, headlight switch with fog ability, fog relay from the relay panel, and the two fogs?
Which headlight switches would work? I’ve seen two or three headlight switches (plus that Euroswitch headlight switch) with fog icon/LED on them?!

Would these parts, if taken off a mk3 Cabrio, be compatible with the mk3 Jetta?
Because the nearby junk yard only has the Cabrio in mk3 at the moment...
Here’s the headlight switch in that Cabrio:

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
Yeah that one should work. What i got was the switch, the two fogs, the relay (which i didn't end up using), the 15 amp fuse, and the foglight harness.

The fog light harness i grabbed was off a dual headlight golf setup, so i just basically removed the fog light wires and spiced them into my current harness.

I also had to get a regular 30 amp automotive relay (which can be found at any parts store), to use instead of the stock relay. But it was really cheap.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If I was to go picking at a junk yard, what would I need, harness, headlight switch with fog ability, fog relay from the relay panel, and the two fogs?
Which headlight switches would work? I’ve seen two or three headlight switches (plus that Euroswitch headlight switch) with fog icon/LED on them?!

Would these parts, if taken off a mk3 Cabrio, be compatible with the mk3 Jetta?
Because the nearby junk yard only has the Cabrio in mk3 at the moment...
Here’s the headlight switch in that Cabrio:
Any Mk3 headlight switch with fogs will work, but since your gauges and dash illumination are green stay away from the Mk3.5 Cabrio (1999-2003) since those controls are all in red IIRC.

The wiring for fogs is mostly there, you will however need the following:

headlight switch with Fog capability
foglights and mounting hardware
small filler reflectors between turn sig / park lights and Fog lamps.
headlight wiring harness from the round connector at the radiator support down to where the fogs mount.
relay for fogs in relay position #10 (or bridge pieces)
additional fuse for #10

The rest of the wiring, from the rad support back into the car at the switch is already present. If you get the whole headlight harness avoid getting it from GTI or Cabrio since they have dual chamber headlights and the Jetta does not. That essentially means finding a Jetta GLX or GT/Trek/Wolfsburg with fogs to get the whole harness or taking just the fog light wiring out of the Cabrio harness you've found and adding that to your Jetta TDI headlight harness.

IIRC I added the fog wiring into my existing Jetta harness but that was a lot of years ago too. I have the euro fog switch with front and rear fogs but I don't have the rear fog enabled, I've made the rear fog lamps into additional brake lights.

Steve

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
The wiring for fogs is mostly there, you will however need the following:

headlight switch with Fog capability
foglights and mounting hardware
small filler reflectors between turn sig / park lights and Fog lamps.
headlight wiring harness from the round connector at the radiator support down to where the fogs mount.
relay for fogs in relay position #10 (or bridge pieces)
additional fuse for #10
1. INSTALLED - headlight switch with Fog capability
2. (LED COB Halo, on boat from China) foglights and mounting hardware
3. (will repurpose the existing passive reflector) - small filler reflectors between turn sig / park lights and Fog lamps.
4. (looking for this or will manually add the four fog wires to the current existing headlight wiring harness)- headlight wiring harness from the round connector at the radiator support down to where the fogs mount.
5. INSTALLED- relay for fogs in relay position #10 (or bridge pieces).
6. INSTALLED- additional fuse for #10.