Soon to be Owner of 2010 TDI Sportwagon

MonthOLDpickle

TDI
2010 TDI Sportwagon - SOON
Took me a month but I am getting a 2010 TDI Sportwagon. I actually got my color of choice and features (well some I didn't read on)..whats funny is I am visiting my GF down south in Eugene and I got an email about one thats about to be delivered..which happens to fit my pad.

Put the 1k deposit down today =).

Though I haven't talked about price but I expect them charging 1.5K above MSRP.

Now I wish it had fog lights and xenon lights...I haven't done to much research on this site yet. Don't know if its worth the trouble.

I am coming from a '03 Passat.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
??????
Why would you pay MSRP + 1500 when there are dealers here that sell under MSRP???

It is your money though........I paid Invoice + 500 and got the exact car I wanted........

mostchillin

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Congrats -- you'll love it! I love mine and will love it even more when I get my springs and wheels installed! :D

Forget the Xenon's -- any available retrofit kit is going to cost you thousands based on my research. I had the opportunity to meet with our VW District Manager recently and suggested that Xenon's and Dynaudio need to be options on the JSW TDI. I'm sure a fog light kit will be available at some point, it's not at this time. Keep an eye on the Drivers Gear store and the forums (both here and Vortex) as I'm sure there will be postings as soon as it becomes available.

You're going to get flamed for posting that your paying over MSRP -- just warning you. The below-MSRP-Nazis are going to come out in force... That being said, it's your $$$ so do with it as you please. Personally, I won't pay a dime over MSRP for any car and didn't for my 2010 JSW TDI. I did pay MSRP... That being said, the poster above is in MD where there are quite a few VW dealerships in the region with large inventories (I know as I just moved to SC from MD) so he's in a better position to negotiate based on competition and inventory. There is only one dealer where I am so I didn't have that luxury. I did call all dealers in NC & SC and everyone is selling for MSRP or more. If I were you, I would call a number of dealers before taking delivery and see if anyone is selling at MSRP or below and use that as leverage with the dealer that has the car that you want.

Don't feel bad for paying MSRP -- the JSW TDI's are only marked-up $1200 over invoice so there's little wiggle room to begin with. And you qualify for the $1300 tax credit if you purchase in 2009...

Good luck and most of all, enjoy!!! :)

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
mostchillin said:
That being said, the poster above is in MD where there are quite a few VW dealerships in the region with large inventories (I know as I just moved to SC from MD) so he's in a better position to negotiate based on competition and inventory.
I didn't buy the car from a Dealer in MD,DC or VA..........and I didn't negotiate........
I bought it from a Dealer in PA and he sells to customers all over the USA and they still save money whether the Fly in drive home or have the car shipped........

MonthOLDpickle

TDI
I said I expect him too, we haven't even talked about pricing. In Eugene, they are trying to get 3K over MSRP. When I was at multiple dealerships on the way down here (they didn't have a single sportwagon in stock) they mentioned that they were just selling at MSRP.

The dealership I am working with the guy wants to throw 18's in for 70% off. I am gonna try to talk down or get other stuff free...like a locking gas cap/mats.

Interesting about xenon, my '03 Passat doesn't have them but the casing for the light is made for it...I could get single beam kits for 50 bucks. I guess thats not the same for this car?

Also I have an euroswitch in my passat, would that work with my wagon?

mostchillin

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
tomo366 said:
I didn't buy the car from a Dealer in MD,DC or VA..........and I didn't negotiate........
I bought it from a Dealer in PA and he sells to customers all over the USA and they still save money whether the Fly in drive home or have the car shipped........
Being in the DC-area, PA is the same difference. Less than a day trip up and back and no flying required... Sounds like you got a great deal in PA! :)

That being said, at $500 over invoice leaves you $700 until MSRP. I guess total savings depends on where you're flying from and the cost of your plane ticket; same goes for where you are shipping too. And that's not even accounting for time spent traveling to and from... Just saying... :cool: At the end of the day MSRP on the TDI is not a bad deal for a car in very high demand with only $1200 difference between invoice and retail. I know a full day of my time is worth more than $700...

MonthOLDpickle

TDI
MonthOLDpickle said:
I said I expect him too, we haven't even talked about pricing. In Eugene, they are trying to get 3K over MSRP. When I was at multiple dealerships on the way down here (they didn't have a single sportwagon in stock) they mentioned that they were just selling at MSRP.

The dealership I am working with the guy wants to throw 18's in for 70% off. I am gonna try to talk down or get other stuff free...like a locking gas cap/mats.

Interesting about xenon, my '03 Passat doesn't have them but the casing for the light is made for it...I could get single beam kits for 50 bucks. I guess thats not the same for this car?

Again, this car is not as moddable?

mostchillin

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
MonthOLDpickle -- no idea about whether the Euroswitch from your Passat will work. I do know that ECS Tuning has a Euroswitch available for the JSW. I will be getting one so that I can add S6 LED running lights to my lower grill over the winter... I was under the impression with the 2010 JSW that the entire headlight unit would need to be swapped to get to Xenon's -- I could be wrong but that's what my research says...

2010Wagen -- yes, there are springs available. I have H&Rs but they are not installed yet. Others here on the forum already have H&Rs installed... Order the 09 JSW H&R part numbers for the 2010. I contacted H&R directly and that's what they directed me to do. Eibach's are being tested as we speak. They are set for production in December I was told last week by Eibach. No VW Drivers Gear springs available yet. I hope that helps...

MonthOLDpickle

TDI
Well dang. I can probably sell it.

Now I don't want to be driving blind like in my '03 Passat..it was horrible driving at night..will there be anything I can do to make the light brighter? Fog lights?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
There is no Fog Light kit available yet either............VW says it is in development.........So you probably won't see it for awhile.........
I am in the process of piecing together the VW parts to do my own Fog Light install.

twobilly

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (09/09)
MonthOLDpickle said:

I'm new here and don't want to get embroiled in a price discussion, but I do want to pass along potentially helpful information that is specific to the I-5 corridor (local market) that you mentioned. The VW dealership in Salem, OR has some 2010 JSW in stock that they advertise on ebay at MSRP. Their advertised sale prices are no secret. In fact, I just bought my car from them 13 days ago. You could keep that info in your back pocket when discussing price with your dealer. Good luck! The JSW is terrific.

MonthOLDpickle

TDI
Forgot to mention. Supposedly the close dealership didn't have a JSW coming in and said one with my feature requests was coming in Feb 2010 in an exterior color I didn't care for. Told the guy I"d give him an answer when I came back up from my vacation.

Well good thing I emailed the dealership a further bit south, because they found exact same car, but white and coming way earlier.

White Exterior with Titan black interior
Panoramic Sunroof
And Nav =)

Though it has 16's, but I am gonna get 18's. Turn the 16's into snow tires for winter.

Last edited:

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
You may want to see if you can get the car equipped with the 9W3 bluetooth module. That will give you full phone and dialing capabilities from the Navi (RNS-510). Otherwise all you can do is answer the phone from the steering wheel, or dial using the phone in your hand.

Austinatlanta

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Flying in

tomo366 said:

I fly in next Sat to pick mine up from Chris at Langhorne, PA. :D

Austinatlanta

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
xenon's

mostchillin said:
Forget the Xenon's -- any available retrofit kit is going to cost you thousands based on my research...

Good luck and most of all, enjoy!!! :)
I had Xeon's on my MINI (Break My Wallet) and I will think long and hard before I ever get them on another car. Burned once no issue, burned twice and I would not give you $1 for a set. I had one side go out $1500 to replace as they had to replace the entire assembly. Pitched a royal fit at the BMW dealer and got them to cover it under warranty as I was only 50 miles outside of the warranty period. Two weeks later the other side goes out and I have to shell out $1500 to replace it. Dealer said the bulbs were $200 to replace, but my issue was a tiny part broke and they have to replace the whole thing. Not sure if this is the same with VW, but I am not going to find out. Additionally the dealer said the lights only last about 4 yrs before they start failing. This headache and cost is just not worth it for me. To each his own, just a fair warning. :eek:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
not to mention the auto leveling sensors

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Austinatlanta said:
I had Xeon's on my MINI (Break My Wallet) and I will think long and hard before I ever get them on another car. Burned once no issue, burned twice and I would not give you $1 for a set. I had one side go out $1500 to replace as they had to replace the entire assembly. Pitched a royal fit at the BMW dealer and got them to cover it under warranty as I was only 50 miles outside of the warranty period. Two weeks later the other side goes out and I have to shell out $1500 to replace it. Dealer said the bulbs were $200 to replace, but my issue was a tiny part broke and they have to replace the whole thing. Not sure if this is the same with VW, but I am not going to find out. Additionally the dealer said the lights only last about 4 yrs before they start failing. This headache and cost is just not worth it for me. To each his own, just a fair warning. :eek:
I think your case is pretty unusual. I had a 2002 BMW X5 for 3 1/2 years no problems with the xenons, 2 years an R32 no problems and my wife's BMW X3 has had no issues with them and her car is 4 1/2 years old.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Austinatlanta said:
I fly in next Sat to pick mine up from Chris at Langhorne, PA. :D
Congrats!!

I'll be driving down (I have a trade) right after Christmas to pickup mine!