www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old February 3rd, 2005, 13:46   #1
mkeller

Default Chicagoland Dealers

Does anyone have information/experience with the AutoBarn in Arlington Heights? Getting ready for my 5K service and would like to know what to watch out for.

If you are satisfied with your dealer, where should I go??
mkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 05:50   #2
tango_28
Veteran Member

They suck!!! BIG Time. My friend her brake fix their recently and they forget to tighten up the bleeder screw and nearly crash her car.
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 05:59   #3
eschady
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/49/44

I'd go here: Lake Mills WI TDI GTG for your 5k service. Come see how easy it is to service your car yourself. You'll save a bunch of $$$ and you'll know that it was done RIGHT.

E
eschady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 20:46   #4
eyetdiman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41 HWY, 35 City
Default Re: Chicagoland Dealers

Ed that's really great what you are doing.

I'd be there only I'll be away when you are meeting. Hopefully you will do it another time and I'll be around.

Looking forward the the TDI Fest.

Tom
eyetdiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 09:26   #5
eschady
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/49/44

Tom, we generally do two GTG's per year (February and October.) This year we will only be having one GTG since I am hosting the 2005 TDIFest in Wisconsin over Labor Day. Hope to see you around.

E
eschady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 18:20   #6
BLUBYU
Veteran Member

dont take it to any local chicagolanf dealer, i havent been to one yet that knows what they are doing.
bring the car to me i will do the 5k service $25+the cost of the parts (i get a big discount on them), and i will show you everything that needs to be done as far as simple stuff
as long as you have recipts to prove you bought the parts the dealer has to accept them *if* something bad were to happen
BLUBYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 16:30   #7
sinneD
Veteran Member

wEll,

having been through a few of them, I can honestly say it is not so much the DEALER but the service advisor...

I can say that TK at autobarn-mount prospect has done alright by me so far.

The parts guys at liberty are ok too.

WRT 5k service, if you can, tell them you want to watch the oil change. In lieu of that, put a cardboard box in the trunk and insist that they put the 4 empty and 1 half empty 505.01 oil bottles in it. Its about as much proof you need.
The rest is really a shakedown check.

If they give you some song and dance about the oil in bulk,. ask to see it. If its not 505.01, go elsewhere, like Lake Mills or another tdi'ers house.
sinneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 17:40   #8
BLUBYU
Veteran Member

i hate to be on here bad mouthing people but i have to share bad experiences to save other people i guess.
we are talking about the service dept in this thread so people bad mouthing a dealer mostly has to do with the service part. if we were talking about buying a car that would be different and i would say hands down autobarn mount prospect but
personally their service dept sucks
TK has tried screwing me over quite a few times.
i took my car in for the maf being bad and he told me it was the connector and its not warrenty and charged me $125 for a diganosis fee. i took the car home ordered a maf and the car is fixed so i went back with my recpit to prove what i did and got my money back.
took my tdi in for the turbo since it was eating oil, they told me blue smoke is normal and wanted to do a consumption test, the car ate 3 quarts in 2 days and they told me that the drain plug was loose, so we did it again and it ate 2 quarts in 2 days and they said it wasnt filled correctly, one week after i take the turbo off and the shaft was bent and the seals were gone.

unless it is an absolute failure that your warrenty wont be denied for any reason would be the only way a dealer will see my cars again.

i would say bring your passat you a local tdi'ers house or follow us up to lake mills next weekend.
i am free this weekend to do the work if you want
BLUBYU is offline   Reply With Quote