-40 celcius for friday night

marco

Wow this is going to be cold. I wonder if I should start the car once before I go to bed at about midnight or so and then start it in the morning on saturday and go for a drive with it.

The seats will be as hard as plywood on that day. It went to -24 today but started great. Tonight supposed to go to -27 here in Ottawa. Where is the snow it would make it warmer.

Red I

Its so cold here in Canada sometimes I have to wait a long time before my glow plug turns off.Still never had a problem starting it though.What about anyone elese.Must have been summer when the building blocks for our country were laid EH?

S

SkyPup

Whoa, forget about the fuel, or the oil, maintain homostatic body temperature so the blood doesn't coagulate!

Good luck! What is the latitude of Ottowa, in the Artic Circle?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Br-rrrr! Ottawa is too far from the Great Lakes for them to have any moderating effect ... here in the Toronto area it's "only" supposed to be as low as -18 C over the next few days. At -40 C, I think I'd be using a dose of antigel just in case!

Let us know what happens...

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

marco

Actually Ottawa is only about 1-2 hours away from the US border. Not that far off. Hopefully all will go well. I will go to canadian tire and buy some antigelling fluid to put in the gas tank just in case.

Might not go out if it is that cold.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Hey Marco,

If you don't have any place to go, you might want to just SEE if the car starts without the antigel to test whether VW really has made the car gel-proof. My understanding is that the fuel filter automatically heats when it gets that low.

Do you dare?

------------------
BeetleGo, crazy

marco

Sure I got nothing to lose. If it doesn't start I have free tow truck. But i think it shoudl start. It did when it reached -33 without anything added to the fuel other then what the garage puts in.

marco

Didn't bother to get an oil pan heater. I barely plug my truck in the winter. Not very strong on plugging cars.

Just take it easy after I start it to let it warm up slowly.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well, that was interesting ... it was about -15 C in Toronto this morning, probably a couple degrees colder here but I didn't check.

The first minor adventure was getting into the car; latch on left side was frozen. Once in thru right side, turned key, waited about 15 or 20 seconds for glow plugs, and then the engine turned VERY slowly and the lights went real dim, almost off ... but then after that first tough half-turn of the engine, it cranked faster and then started!!!

The voltage dropped so low during cranking that the digital clock reset itself to 0:00 and the trip odometer reset itself to 0. At least the radio didn't forget all the presets, which is what happened several times when my Toyota van had a knackered battery.

I don't think the engine was objecting to the cold weather, I think the battery has seen better days. Tomorrow I'll check the water level, and if it still acts like that I guess I'll have to spring for a new battery.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I don't think it got much above -20 here today and it started fine with two shots of glowplugs. I also had it at -30 one morning (I usually put it into the garage but I forgot). Two shots of glowplugs again and it started somewhat laboriously, lots of shaking and smoke, then settled down. Seats like rocks though.

One thing you might want to be careful to do before even turning on the glowplugs, is to make sure all electrics are off: radio, and especially the heated seats if equipped. They'll start current draw as soon as the key is at "on" most likely. Also pull the hand brake, that ensures the DRLs are off during cranking. Put all the power to use starting the engine.

PlaneCrazy

Ian'sDad

Also cold this am. in Northern Ontario -28C a 6:00 am EST; seats like frozen sidewalks, tires like square blocks (the first few km). Started fine though it was plugged in last night. Took much longer to warm up to operating temp., about 12 km instead of 4 km.

Purchased used 97 Golf TD about three weeks ago some difficulties initially starting; would have to glow up to three times. Put in some Motomaster fuel conditioner last two tanks seems to have improved significantly though I think I will still check the glow plugs and fuel filter for water.

My wife had more problems with 93 Chev Astro Van though........seems she left and was flagged down by a sander truck operator who asked her if she brought her Christmas decorations with her to work everyday. The angel dragging behind on the block heater extension cord was a little worse for wear...two bulbs not broken...very embarrassed wife.

Over and out for now.......

underpar

I was actually excited to get out and start the car this morning, since i've only had it for two weeks. For the first time, i actually had to wait for the glow plugs (9 seconds) not bad considering the -16C we had this morning. The only problem with this crappy weather, is that i went through a full tank of windsheild washer fluid, and the car is now filthy. I had a great laugh this morning though, i asked my wife to give the car a start when she went out to start hers. Just to set this up, she can't drive a stick. (that's why i bought it) I gave her the instructions and off she went. She came back in a minute later and told me it wouldn't start. She went out and tried again, and i watched through the window, and i noticed the brake lights lighting up. She came in all mad at this crappy car i bought, so i asked her which pedal she was pressing. " The stupid clutch, the one in the middle " When she saw me laughing, she realized she was pressing the wrong pedal. She finally started it, and now she wants to learn to drive it. What do I do??

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Well it's your own fault for letting her in the left seat to start with!!

Kind of like trying to close Pandora's box, or getting the toothpaste back in the tube, you're stuck now!!

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
hahahahaha!

As for the topic at hand, if your TDI is a '96, does that mean 4 or 5 winters on this battery?

Sounds like it's time....
Do you get the insultated battery box my NB has??

------------------
BeetleGo, crazy

Hey. Why don't you go for a nice, long drive or somethin'.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My battery didn't survive the -22 C this morning, but the car started fine once boosted. It now has a new battery in it. Tomorrow's supposed to be -20 C.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

Craig

Veteran Member
Minus 22C this morning. The TDI started reluctantly. It only glowed for about 8-10 sec., but the engine took about 3 or 4 seconds to fire, mainly because it was turning over very slowly. I figure anything colder than -30 and it will not start.

It looks to me that the dealer overfilled it with oil (he says that it is within the proper range) so with more oil to rotate this was not helping. Once it did start it ran fine for several seconds then started to sputter for another 20 seconds then was fine. (Can't figure this one out.)

The dealer claims there is no official VW heater of any kind available for the TDI, and says many TDI owners have complained about this. It looks like those pan heaters some have installed are aftermarket parts. I am getting some kind of heater for next winter for sure. It is too hard on me until the car warms up. Perhaps if users bombard VWNA with complaints re. a lack of a block heater they might get the message. (Sure, right?)

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
Quote:
"now she wants to learn to drive it. What do I do??"

...Buy another TDI for your wife, or start saving for a new clutch
and teach her on your TDI

------------------
Ryan

1999.5 Jetta/Bora GL TDI
Atlantic Blue/Gray Studio

marco

Well it never reached -40 on saturday but this morning in Ottawa it was -26 celcius with a windchill factor of -48. Quite cold.

Well the car did start after about 8-10 seconds for the glowplug to glow. Then the motor was noisy for a few seconds and settled down afterwards.

I had to drive the car about 1 hour before it reach it's temperature of 90celcius. Tonight supposed to fall to -28 and then we have to had the windchill factor. Quite happy took the day off tomorrow so do not have to freeze myself.

Bill Kriese

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta,2000,White
Marco, When it is that cold does the passenger compartment ever warm up, and how long does it take before the heater actually blows out heat?

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ric Woodruff:
Man, how can you guys stand living in such a deep freezer? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cuz we're MACHO!!!

------------------
Gregor Switca

Torque is a beautiful thing

sljkr

Veteran Member
Marco, to follow up on Bill's question above, how does the time to warm the cabin of the TDI at those temperatures compare to the time to warm up a gasser (assuming you have one lurking in the drive)?

------------------
99 Silver NB TDI

gamaf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GLS Bright Green
It was -26 at my place near Ottawa this morning. The car started on the second try and it took 8 miles to get to normal engine temperature. The heated seats are great.
00 Jetta TDI

marco

It does warm up but takes awhile. I love those seats. I got heated seat so until it gets warm enough in the cabin at least my body is warm.

If I compare it to my other trucks I had it warms up faster. I must say my trucks were 6 cylinder and one of them 8 years old too so took longer.

I think once the Golf has been running and engine warm it beats a gaz car in heat at that time but if you idle too long you can see the gauge dropping fast