www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old November 16th, 2010, 16:55   #1
Canon

Default Big Big problem guys

I came out of the cinema, went to my car, turned over, the car started cranking and cranking, then it started spitting at me...and to finish it off it ended up draining my battery in full.

I had to get a AA ( rescue service ) guy to come out, he tried to jump start and the car started spitting at him to... ( when i say spitting, its the noise it resembles ) he decided to stop trying only for my self telling him, trust me keep going it will start.. eventually the car started and bag a load of smoke came out.

When i drove it home, litterally just 10 minutes ago,

There was a huge power drop the moment i put my foot down to pick up some spead, it almost felt like 20 people were pushing down on the front of the car and then 1 second after it felt like they all let go and the car blasted forward, for it to do it one more time, only this time not as strong.

Can any one help me here?
The car is now parked out front and i know for sure it wont start in the morning, i have my power pack on charge just in case.

But my worry is this spitting noise, it has always struggled starting, it crankes about 5 6 to 7 times before turning on, and when it finally does, all this smoke comes out.

Am i rite in thinking..... FUEL PUMP gone??
Now i know the started made a wining noise from time to time, but i think this is only caused by consequence to a other problem..

If any one has any ideas at all please help me.
Old November 16th, 2010, 17:00   #2
dieseltwitch
Veteran Member

To me it sounds like your turbo is blown, the smoke is from you engine burning the oil that's coming out of your turbo hosing. Check you oil level and pray. if its slow, your turbo is blown
Old November 16th, 2010, 17:06   #3
Canon

When i drive the car there is no smoke what so ever, its just on start up and its very very hard to start it up.
Old November 16th, 2010, 17:10   #4
dieseltwitch
Veteran Member

Car Details?
Old November 16th, 2010, 17:12   #5
Canon

Vw tdi mk4 1.9 110bhp 1999
Old November 16th, 2010, 17:17   #6
m1ketdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Leon BKD
Fuel Economy: 50+mpg

Bad timing belt job maybe. Get it on vag-com.
m1ketdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 17:40   #7
Canon

I recently has a engine transplant... my old engine lost compression was basiclaly dead, with 213,000km on it, it decided to quit, it was burning smoke it was just a night mare.

I basically now have a new timing belt done over 1 year ago, a new clutch flywheel, new cooling sensor, new fuel filter, new injectors, reconditoned starter, new Air mass sensor, basically everything apart from a fuel pump replacement.
Thats why i am pointing and maybe asking, is it the fuel pump giving me this problem?
Oh and the turbo is in good condition, but the only thing i saw is a oil leak from the turbo.. but this problem was there with the old engine and now with the newish one, i am getting the same problem, only this time it decided to die on start up and loose power when i put my foot to the floor.
Old November 16th, 2010, 18:30   #8
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Jeez, we got a car whose original engine lost compression at only 132k miles. Replaced motor well over a year ago, new timing belt, sensors, good injectors, leaky turbo (no mention where it's leaking). I'm sorry I can't diagnose your problem just yet. From the sounds of it though, I fear you have a compression problem again or your motor is trying to run on oil for some reason.

I gotta ask though, how did you manage to kill the first TDI in roughly 1/3 of it's life??? And, why does it leak? Who is working on and maintaining this car?

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 18:34   #9
cog
Veteran Member

i had the exact same problems with my 110 . it turned out the timing was too far advanced when i got the belt changed over. check your static timing in vagcom .
Formerly GT-TDI 110 AHF VNT 17VB[/B],@24psi ,,R520s,ported head,11mm pump,arp,headstuds,eurojet smic,id parts upgraded pipes,SBC[B] stage 3, pd150 manifold, custom silicone t.i.p 2.5"downpipe and cat delete,racepipe,,pd lift pump
cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 18:51   #10
TDI-JAY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45

Sounds like the timing belt jumped a tooth. A blown turbo will still start find & idle ok - just will have no power & smoke like hell. If its "spitting" it sounds like its firing with a intake valve open, hearing it fire through the air box. If I am wrong, still sounds timing related.

Last edited by TDI-JAY; November 16th, 2010 at 18:54.
TDI-JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 19:31   #11
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Check compression again and report. Any mods done to the engine?

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:38   #12
Canon

Thats it Jay, its comind fom the airbox area that noise, and on a few occasion ( but this happenes every 1 in 10 engine starts ) when i press on the accelerator wile driving, i feel a drop in power and a huge suction noise from the air box, nearly as if created a strong draft in the house.. that kind of noice, but its only for 1 second when i feel the drop in power.

The engine was replaced by a friend of mine who is a mechanic
But it runs completely differently from that old broken down engine. and to be fair, i didn't treat that old one very well.
But wile he places the new engine, he put in the new timing belt, the old clutch and fly wheeel witch only had about 2000km on it.

What is very strange is when the car is completely cold, the moment i turn the key... the car starts fine... no problem what so ever.. but its when it hot or warm that i have this problem.
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:12   #13
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/47/39

And this is why we check the timing when the engine is warm and not cold!
The sooner you have it checked and diagnosed the longer your engine will last.
Too much to list but lots of love from Matt 98-AHU
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:05   #14
Canon

ok im off to get it checked now...

But here is the funny part.

I removed the connector to the cooling sensor or temperature sensor.. and it started straight away, still a big puf of smoke but it started with out any problems..

I have changed this sensor and got a new one 2 weeks ago..

Does this mean anything to anyone?

im off not to get a mechanic to check it.
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:09   #15
rackaracka
Veteran Member

The 99.5 ECU's are plagued with a warm start issue. There is a modification by a veteran member named Hammon or Hammond (sorry for not remembering or searching at the moment). This modification allows you to put a push button inside of the car which you can press and the car will start instantly. It tricks the confused ECU into thinking that the car is parked overnight in Antartcitica and makes an incredible difference.

Before you go doing any mods like this though, please check your timing belt tensioner. Make sure that the static timing is perfect and hasn't changed. Sometimes the camshaft bolt can loosen and that can possibly move a bit wreaking havoc. Then check your IP Timing with VCDS. Then check your IQ and finally check your cranking RPM. Report back with your findings.

Good Luck!
rackaracka is offline   Reply With Quote