www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2005

TDIFest 2005 Discussion about TDIFest 2005. This took place in Lake Mills, Wisconsin on the Labour Day weekend (September 2nd, 3rd, and 4th).

Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:02   #1
eschady
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/49/44
Default Dyno at the Fest

It is not yet official, but we are very close to working out a deal to have a dyno at the Fest. Pricing and the hours of operation have yet to be determined, but prices should be very reasonable as Frank Boucher VW, the 2005 TDIFest Title Sponsor, will be picking up part of the tab.

We are hoping to have the Dyno available from roughly 8-8 on Saturday, and possible again for several hours on Sunday morning (for those who get chipped in between it'll be a great opportunity to do a before and after measurement!). We are still working out the pricing, but we hope that it will be roughly $25-30 for 2 pulls on the dyno.

We will update with more information as soon as it is confirmed.

Make sure to stop by and see Sean with Frank Boucher at the Fest and thank them for attending!
eschady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 18:55   #2
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37
Default Dyno at the Fest

I'm in for a dyno! Are you going to put a list together of folks that are interested?
IndigoBlueWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 19:04   #3
eschady
Veteran Member

Default Dyno at the Fest

We may have to as we will probably have limit the number of vehicles. So far the negotiations are for 50 vehicles, but we will update as soon as we have finalized a deal.
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:24   #4
jachady

TDI(s): auto dealer
Default Dyno at the Fest

Now it is official, Frank Boucher VW out of Franklin is sponsoring the dyno at the fest. Because of this we are able to offer the dyno pulls at an extremely reduced rate. The dyno will run for at least eight hours, cars running during this time will get their dyno pull for $20.00. Cars running after the eight hour time period will be charged $40.00. This is the price for registered attendees. The price for non registered attendees will be $50.00. To get a certificate to get your run, you will need to see Sean at the Town Hall by the vendors. The cars need to be run in the order the certificates are being handed out, so get there early to prepare.
jachady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 21:38   #5
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Default Dyno at the Fest

Talked to Chris on Wednesday. He's looking forward to this.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:35   #6
jachady

Default Re: Dyno at the Fest

Yes, and I forgot to mention Chris is from Fast Enough Performance out of Lexington, KY. They specialize in Audi and VW so they are the perfect people to have running the dyno.
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:48   #7
eschady
Veteran Member

John mentioned after the Fest that the Dyno scores all need a slight adjustment. I guess for quick turn around, the dyno guys used a standard number rather than reprogramming at each run. From what John said, automatics horsepower would be about 5% higher, and manuals would be 15% higher. I'm sure he'll chime in and explain it.
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:24   #8
KERMA

"Dyno Dynamics" dynos suck. You can make them say whatever you want them to say. In this case, it was VERY VERY LOW. At least everyone had the same settings, so it was an apples to apples comparo. I'd say it's more like a 30% or more adjustment if you want good numbers.
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:39   #9
eschady
Veteran Member

Kerma, tell us how you really feel . I don't know much about dynos, but I think the 5-15% adjustment factor makes sense. Most stock TDI's were pulling 80-85 horsepower prior to the adjustment. Like you said, atleast it was the same for everyone (and you did win the horsepower competition!).
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:46   #10
truman
Veteran Member

Just before me, they ran the 9-3D with -15% correction factor vs the -30% they did for the rest of us. His car dynoed at 117.4 hp- stated factory hp is 125.
I did a before and after RC2 on my '03JW 5M. I have b203s and OMI. Before chipping it came in at 88.5hp and 170tq. After chipping, it measured 114.8hp and 240tq. For my purpose, it was beneficial.
To make adjustments for each car would have required 2 dynos and more $. I understand why they ran it like they did. I thought the organizers and volunteers did a gtreat job putting the Fest together.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:59   #11
jachady

truman is correct, when I talked to Chris he said he ran the dyno at a 30% correction because we wanted the process to be as fast as possible. It would have taken too long to change the computer readings for the automatics/sticks and so on. Our biggest thing with having the dyno is so that people could see instant results of their mods. And also for a baseline of what people have. As per the comment by Kerma, we could have had ten dynos there, and they all would have had different numbers. It is true that for guys seeking the ultimate performance you need consistancy so they need to use the same dyno for every run, but for most at the fest just having an idea of where their car was at was good enough.

And besides, the most fun was watching the clouds of diesel smoke anyway - wasn't it.
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:01   #12
jettafock
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34.5 39 44

There was an stock 04 Jetta auto that dynoed at 94hp and mine dynoed at 105hp. I dont think so. I will be getting real dyno numbers on Oct 15th at the NE Dyno Day. I will let you guys know how off the dyno was. Also, at last years NE DD I dynoed at 137hp with a lesser chip then I am at now.
jettafock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:13   #13
eschady
Veteran Member

Well, what can we say, we tried to offer something that we thought people would like. We know it wasn't perfect, but you should be able to draw comparisons between the different vehicles run throughout the weekend. Let me know the next time someone gets 2 dyno runs for $20! Like John said, MOST of us just wanted an indication of our horsepower compared to others. For people like Kerma, RallyVW, etc., we understand how you would want a more accurate numbers. For anyone who thinks they can do better, here you go: 2006 TDIFest Proposals.
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:22   #14
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Although I agree the numbers were a bit off I was glad to get my A3 dyno'd and learned from the results. I have a RC2/3 switchable chip and it made about 115 HP both times (which makes sense) but the midrange was significantly stronger (about 10 HP) with RC3. Tons of torque, too--240+.

This gave me data that I can use to continue to mod my car. I want a boost gauge to help keep max boost at higher RPMs and I put the IQ up to about 5.2 over the weekend, which allows the car to rev much better.

So thanks for the Dyno. If it were a competition for best HP then I'd be less happy. But IMO it was $20 well spent.
IndigoBlueWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:28   #15
truman
Veteran Member

I have never even been near a dyno, so for me to have that experience was a real plus. I imagine there were many others who felt the same way. I thought the guys running the dyno worked very hard to try and accommodate as many people as possible. Thanks for making it available.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote