01M Fluid Change Questions

TDI_Matt

TDI
02 Jetta TDI
My Jetta is due its next fluid change soon and I have a few questions. First is it always required to drop the pan and change the filter every time you change the fluid? I read somewhere on here but can't seem to find it that you can use an infared therometer to guage the temp if you don't have a VAGCOM. Is this truly accurate enough? And lastly if just a fluid change without dropping the pan is ok every other change why can't you just put in exactly the same amount of fluid you drained out?

hgsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Well to change as much dirty fluid as you can you need to drop the pan and change the filter. If you let it drain overnight you will get even more dirty fluid out. I also read about the infrared temp but I have not done it that way. I have vcds so I read the temp that way. Drivebywire has a nice write up with lots of pics. I changed a little over 4 liters.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
If it was running fine before and the service was done correctly you can just replace exactly what you removed with no issues.

The best bet is change the filter every 60K or so and pull the plug and do the 2.whatever quarts every 20K or so.

TDI_Matt

TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the replies guys! I have read the write up drivebywire wrote and it was very helpful. If I just do a drain and refill this time do I still need to remove both plugs or just the main drain plug?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I also have flushed some that were really nasty, but that requires a machine and the adapters that go in in place of the banjo bolts at the ATF cooler.

But generally I like to drop the pan in case their are chunks in there. :eek:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I'd pan pull but yes, you need to drop both plugs.