Just finished installing PD150 intake manifold, and racepipe. My engine shut off!!!

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
I test drove it, while in 2nd gear, i pushed the pedal down, but did not floor it yet. The boost shot up to 31-32psi (which has never happened before) and made some weird noise (turbo surge??) so i quickly let off the gas pedal. The whole thing lasted like 2 seconds. I let off the gas pedal as soon as i saw 31-32psi. I knew something was wrong. Then the engine shut off :( I pulled over. I tried to start her back up but it wouldnt. I waited about 5 min. I then tried to restart it and it worked! It seems to be working fine. The turbo is working fine too. I dont understand what happened... Any ideas??

I test drove and rechecked everything. I did not find any problems except that with the stock clogged up intake manifold, i would boost to 29psi and it would hold 26-27 psi in all gears througout the gear. Now it barely spiked up to 25psi and it would taper off to 20psi. The new setup pulls a little better at low end as well as high end with slightly less smoke compared to my stock clogged intake manifold. Is the boost tapering off because the pd150 manifold and racepipe are alot less restrictive?? Did anyone notice that? The Boost levels are a huge difference compared to stock mianifold so Im a bit worried is i might have a boost leak?

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Sounds like the car is running a little closer to what the tune calls for if you ask my opinion. I'd be a little worried about that 25 psi though. I'd like to see some VCDS logs to check your actuator settings. You SHOULD NOT run 26-27 psi sustained in a VNT-17 in my opinion.

Generally speaking, all the air mods don't really add much power. They just let more air flow so you can add more fuel and get a bit more power. If you were smoking like a train to begin with, then I would assume the increased air would help for a more complete combustion process and the power would show up there.

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
I know it wasn't nice, but I was (trying to) showing off... I roll in to water, set e-brake, put it in second gear, rev to 4k, dump clutch, tires begin to spin and smoke and then dead... Car shut down. Started right back up and drove away, smokey fast.:confused: My thought was I guess the ECM didn't like that...

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
BlownBusa said:
I know it wasn't nice, but I was (trying to) showing off... I roll in to water, set e-brake, put it in second gear, rev to 4k, dump clutch, tires begin to spin and smoke and then dead... Car shut down. Started right back up and drove away, smokey fast.:confused: My thought was I guess the ECM didn't like that...
Sounds like ASR kicked you out then you stalled.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
DO NOT PLUG YOUR VENT LINE TO THE AIR BOX. Check your vacuum hoses, sounds like your turbo actuator has vacuum to it all the time. Kinked hose to the turbo can get sticky and hold vac even if n75 is vented.

Did you check your actuator to see if it's working properly and adjusted correctly (5" HG cracking)?

Jeff

edit I see you have no air box, put a small filter on your n75/n18 vent hose. If it is dangling open, it can suck in crud that can screw up the n75 valve.

Last edited:

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
jsrmonster said:
DO NOT PLUG YOUR VENT LINE TO THE AIR BOX. Check your vacuum hoses, sounds like your turbo actuator has vacuum to it all the time. Kinked hose to the turbo can get sticky and hold vac even if n75 is vented.

Did you check your actuator to see if it's working properly and adjusted correctly (5" HG cracking)?

Jeff

edit I see you have no air box, put a small filter on your n75/n18 vent hose. If it is dangling open, it can suck in crud that can screw up the n75 valve.
Im actually running stock airbox with the vent line to the airbox. I'll try to disconnect the line. Once i disconnect the line, ill put some sort of filter. To verify, the vent line is the same line as the n75/n18 vent hose?

Last edited: