Key fobs stopped working, reset when key physically put into lock

trapperkeeper

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4, Jetta MK5
Has anyone even seen this happen? I have a 2006 MK4 Golf GLS TDI. Thismorning when I went to get in my car I noticed that the doors were locked even though I didn't remember locking them since the car was in my garage. I went to hit the key fob and nothing happened. I tried unlock, lock, trunk latch release multiple times and nothing happened. The light on the key fob lit up each time indicating it wasn't the battery and I was standing right next to the driver's side door. Went to get the other key fob and same thing. When I physically put my key in the drivers side door and unlocked it and then tried the key fobs again, everything is fine - both of them work as normal. Anyone ever had this happen or know what is going on? It appears the the doors locked themselves between me getting home last night and this am and then both key fobs we disabled. It is possible that I accidently locked the doors with the key in my pocket, but I don't remember it. Anyway, physically inserting the key in the drivers side door and unlocking it seems to have "re-set" whatever happened. I have 20.6K on the car and it is 22mo old and I have never experienced this before. Thanks!

jasonaugust

TDI
2006 Golf TDI GLS
key fob mystery

The only problems that we've had with our 06 Golf GLS TDI is the FOBS. Both have been reprogrammed at the shop, one has been replaced, and the batteries have gone on both. One time, it stopped working, and then was fine again:confused:.
You may have discovered a fix. Thanks!

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
You reset the (transmitters) FOB. Sometimes I have had to do this on my NB. It can have something to do with weak batteries or to far a distance from the car. It gets confussed and has to be reset. That is different from reprogramming which has to be done when you get a new FOB.:) :)

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
If there is a chance that the buttons get pressed in a pocket or purse or whatever too many times while too far from the vehicle, then that is disabling the fob. The technique of putting the key in the door and unlocking it is a documented procedure to reset the fob.