Adding an extra gas tank to a non TDI car?

batchman

TDI
none
I don't have a TDI, but I came across this forum which came close to what I was looking for, trying to find information on this.

I want to add a second gas tank to my car ... perhaps an extra 30 gallons or so. From the things I seem to see on this forum, that isn't something which is completely insane or unheard of.

Anybody have any comments, suggestions, or links for places that are even a better fit than this one? (Since it isn't a TDI.)

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
If you're wanting to add an additional tank of gasoline, I would say that is an ill-advised idea.

Gasoline is a very flammable substance (obvious) and any tank that you could conceivably add wouldn't have the built-in safety that comes with stock fuel tanks. You're talking about having X gallons of gasoline in the trunk at best, or at worst in the passenger compartment. I wouldn't want to be in a serious accident where that gasoline tank is ruptured and sprayed throughout the interior of the car.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Adding an extra diesel tank is on thing, but gasoline is a different and far less safe animal. I suggest it is a poor idea.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
I would suggest searching out some racing/drah racing type forums. The only way I can think that would be safe is adding a fuel cell to a gas powered car.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Why? Racing cars use fuel cells for good reason, they're more impact and spill-proof than an ordinary tank...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Yeah, only if it's a fuel cell. And they sell large fuel cells that could be put into a trunk.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
DPM said:
Why? Racing cars use fuel cells for good reason, they're more impact and spill-proof than an ordinary tank...
And properly secured and located. I suspect that not everyone would do that.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
This is a really bad idea for a passenger car. In an accident, fuel could leak and you could become a crispy critter. A few months ago in my area, a woman was killed by her ex-husband or BF using a flammable liquid inside a car--she got to live for a few hours in the hospital and was able to say goodbye to her kids and family members before she died, but when enough of your skin is burnt off, you're not going to live longer than a few days (remember Jim Goose in Mad Max?).

Most of the extra tanks that we are talking about on diesels are filled with vegetable oil--not too dangerous in an accident, although it will burn if there is already a hot fire present. But a tank of WVO isn't going to explode if somebody rear-ends you.

And on a pickup truck, the additional tank is usually underneath the bed or bolted inside the back of the bed, safely outside of the passenger compartment.

Plus you have to consider the additional weight of 30 gallons of gas--around 200 pounds including the tank (that's like one full-sized adult on board). Plus then you have to figure out how to connect in to your existing fuel system (supply, return, and vent lines, not to mention the filler neck, rollover valve, fuel sending unit, and so on . . . ). If your existing tank has an in-tank pump as most cars now do, it gets really tricky to add a second tank.

Get a gas station credit card instead. I even get 5% back on all my gasoline purchases (so $3.00/gal gas only costs me $2.85/gal :cool: ).