Slight Shudder with Jetta 09 TDI Auto/Tip DSG. Anyone else eperience this condition?

rkskeet

TDI
Moved to a 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium from a 2012 Jetta TDI Manual 6 Speed
;) NEED SOME INPUT IF YOU HAVE IT.. I have a question that I think may be DSG realted? Owner of a new 09 Jetta Auto/Tiptronic DSG (got it June 09).. It has approx 1,910 miles on it.. One thing that I notice is a slight vibration/shudder when moving from a stopped position into drive or reverse. It is noticable when I start to roll forward or back without pressing the go pedal. There is a mild shudder that is sort of like if you were driving a manual trans and didn't engage the clutch properly for a smooth start. I have taken it back to my dealer but their TDI tech seems to feel it is normal???? I don't think it is but would like to solicit some help from members of the forum..
It is more annoying than anything else as it goes away and smoothens out once you get some momentum and increase the RPM's.. It appears like the idle is set just a bit low.. It is idling at apprx 800rpm.. Any input is welcomed.. Car rides great but this is my first TDI and first DSG type transmission.. I had a 2005-1/2 Jetta with a traditional automatic/Tiptronic transmission and I don't remember it doing this.. Thanks..

Last edited:

Quick Storm

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I too am experiencing the same, this is also my first tdi/dsg. i believe it is normal of the 2 clutch system, cuz the dsg doesn't have a convertional torque convertor like an auto trans and we don't have the ability to slip the clutch manually to ease take off from a stop.

rkskeet

TDI
Quick Storm, thanks for the input... Any thoughts/suggestions as to how to overcome this condition? One thought I have is to give it some acceleration but that could be tricky and or dangerous depending upon where you are.. Additional comments welcomed... Good Luck with your new wheels....

Last edited:

Quick Storm

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
i don't think you could overcome this manually, this would have to be a programming of the diesel engine control module to some how keep the idle up with extra fueling of the injectors somehow.

rkskeet

TDI
Quick Storm, thanks for the additional info.. I will advise if I learn more about this issue/subject when consulting with my dealer or hearing any news from the forum....

olyaed

TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I have the same effect, and I think it is totally normal. I think what happens when you release break (please correct me guys if I am wrong): computer expects you to apply gas, so it engages clutch of 1-st gear, but since you do not press gas it disengages it to prevent unrequested move, then engages again (break still released), then disengages and so on - not the best mode for clutch. I just leave more room in the traffic ahead of me and move in stop-n-go fashion instead of crouching.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
When I am in stop and go traffic I flip in manual to me it helps with the lugging.Side note don't let engine idle for long time. The turbo will start oil bypass due to the low pressure on the turbo.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Once you release the brake pedal, the control unit engages the clutch and the car should creep forward whether the throttle is applied or not. There should be no shudder as the clutches should close and remain closed. This is to aid is situations like parking where you want to creep forward or backward slowly. This is how my DSG works and I have no shudder as described above.

Also, there is suppose to be a hill holding feature where, if the car begins to move while stationary a slight application of the brake is suppose to increase clutch pressure to hold the car from rolling. I have never really tried this as there are no steeper hills where I can test this.

Also, the control unit learns (adapts) the position of the clutches, the position of the gear actuators when gears are engaged, and main control pressure. So, maybe for some reason (faulty sensors, bad control unit, etc,) the control unit has not adapted correctly and hence the shudder as the clutch is engaged.