Where to get replacement key?

elasto

I lost one of my keys. Can I order a new one from anyone other than dealer and how much should I expect to pay? Thanks.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
It's expensive no matter what. I would save the running around & just order the key from the dealer & have them program the immobilizer. You can probably save some money by buying the remote on ebay or maybe one of the sponsor vendors here.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I am told the key blank must be cut in Germany, so the dealer sticks you either way. Therefore you may want to research this further before buying anything from a non-VW source -- although my assumption is you can buy a compatible remote online and only purchase the key blank/cut/programming from the dealer. You must bring them all keys, including the valet, when programming the immo. It's what I went through when dealer finally ponied-up for my missing valet.

If you're trying to save cash, search the posts for a key cutter. I read one post earlier in the year about a member who knows a guy who can cut VW keys.

As for programming, I remember reading it can still be done with Vag-Com, but requires more effort on the A5. This is ideal if you're interested in programming the buttons to raise & lower the windows, too. :p

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
You can get blanks at Impex but I am not sure how your dealer would react to having to cut it.