www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old June 7th, 2019, 16:40   #1
chattowntdi
Default Post EGR delete oil change

So I installed my buzzken DPF/EGR delete about 800 miles ago and itís about time for an oil change. I have always stuck to the recommended oils and factory filters but I have heard that now that the EGR is gone I can use just regular diesel oil? I donít mind either way honestly. I either have to order the specíd oil or can get non specíd local. What do you all think? Havenít ran but one tank of fuel through so far but mileage increase was right at 3 mpg hand calculated. Thus far I am very happy with my delete parts.
chattowntdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2019, 02:08   #2
CleverUserName
Veteran Member

You can use real diesel engine oil even with DPF and EGR, however it's not recommended because it theoretically may shorten the life of your emissions system.

Yes you are correct, no need for low ash oils any longer. 5w30 and 10w30 are great options with many HQ full synthetics available. 5w40 or 10w40 can also be used however you may lose 1 MPG.

If you decide to go with a CI-4+ diesel oil like Amsoil ACD, HDD or AMO you could probably do 20K+ or more mile oil change intervals if you just change the filter every 10K. You may also be able to do 20K on a CJ-4 oil as the EA288 has a fairly large oil sump relative to displacement. Oil sampling will be required to see how long the interval can be increased.
CleverUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2019, 06:23   #3
chattowntdi

CleverUserName, thank you very much for the reply. That answered every question I might have come up with. I know some folks do long change intervals, at least what I would consider long, but I’m ok changing the oil at a shorter frequency. Even with sampling I would be nervous that this time around something has happened and I didn’t catch it for 15000 miles. But that’s just how I am. Worrisome lol. Thanks again for your awesome reply and I will look into my newly expanded oil selection.
Old June 8th, 2019, 08:32   #4
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'd just get the cheapest 5w-40 you can find. They are all synthetic and diesel rated. Or stick with the 507 oils, they perform very well.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2019, 09:55   #5
HPsenicka
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I'd just get the cheapest 5w-40 you can find. They are all synthetic and diesel rated. Or stick with the 507 oils, they perform very well.

I can't support the idea that just any 5W-40 oil would be acceptable.

The low-ash requirements of the VW 507 spec are obviously aimed at protecting expensive DPF / EGR components, but even with those deleted, you still need to consider the requirements of a modern common-rail diesel engine.

There was a lot of debate over the years about appropriate lubrication for PD and CR engines, and the increased possibility of camshaft wear

Personally I have cheated the VW 505.01 gods before, and used Rotella T6 5W40 in my BEW powered Jetta, but I think it is risky to assume that just any 5W40 diesel oil would be OK.

Extended oil change intervals is another topic... the VW recommendations seem pretty generous. I don't think I would want to press my luck with 20K mi oil change intervals unless I tested the oil to confirm all is well.

HPsenicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2019, 10:52   #6
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsenicka View Post
I can't support the idea that just any 5W-40 oil would be acceptable.

The low-ash requirements of the VW 507 spec are obviously aimed at protecting expensive DPF / EGR components, but even with those deleted, you still need to consider the requirements of a modern common-rail diesel engine.

There was a lot of debate over the years about appropriate lubrication for PD and CR engines, and the increased possibility of camshaft wear

Personally I have cheated the VW 505.01 gods before, and used Rotella T6 5W40 in my BEW powered Jetta, but I think it is risky to assume that just any 5W40 diesel oil would be OK.

Extended oil change intervals is another topic... the VW recommendations seem pretty generous. I don't think I would want to press my luck with 20K mi oil change intervals unless I tested the oil to confirm all is well.

I'd love for you to enlighten us on which of any commonly available 5w-40 oils would be unacceptable(in your opinion) for a deleted commonrail. For instance, I wouldn't hesitate to use any house brand ck4 5w-40 from any parts store.

Last edited by turbobrick240; June 8th, 2019 at 11:03.
Old June 8th, 2019, 13:17   #7
HPsenicka
Veteran Member

OK.. so you are already narrowing the field to CK4 spec, which is relatively recent, and supercedes the CJ4 spec Rotella T6 I was previously using in my PD TDIs.

I am not opposed to house brands, but having some idea of which specs they do or do not comply with seems like a prudent approach.

Just throwing it wide open and saying any 5W40 oil will do the job doesn't cut it. Your initial statement was even a little vague that at least it should be diesel rated and synthetic.

I suspect someone who has little or no appreciation for different oil formulations could misinterpret your comments.
HPsenicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2019, 14:28   #8
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I meant any 5w-40, not soley CK4 (which isn't all that new any longer). I challenge anybody to find a 5w-40 oil that is not both synthetic and diesel rated - API isn't the only game in town btw. Show me a 5w-40 that you find unacceptable for a deleted CR tdi.
Old June 10th, 2019, 06:35   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

I'd say you spend enough on a delete and a tune, mind as well save some coin and pick up T6, crazy cheap.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 07:42   #10
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Just run the same oil. And if you really want to, you can likely go much longer intervals.

This is a good photo for reference on oil filters:

Same oil, same filter, same engine, same everything... one is with all the emissions stuff intact on the left, one without any of it on the right.
Old June 10th, 2019, 11:55   #11
chattowntdi

Sorry I didn’t mean to start a debate. In all honesty I’m not nearly as knowledgeable in this area as you all obviously. I ran t6 in my old 1.6 and 1.5 vw’s and all my old Mercedes diesels but after a cam replacement in my 04 pd I tend to lean a little to the cautious side with the newer vw’s. I think for now I will just run the same oil I have been and do a little more research before changing it up. I don’t mind at all paying more per oil change for the peace of mind of having a spec’d oil for my application. Still, thank you all for chiming in and there has been some more great info offered up. Oilhammer, thank you for the comparison pic. That is crazy to think the only change made was emissions delete looking at those two filters.
Old June 10th, 2019, 12:07   #12
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I wouldn't necessarily expect every deleted common rail to produce oil filters like in the photo. I did about 8 oil changes @ 10k miles post deletion on mine- and they all looked like the first filter in the photo. It almost looks as though the guy popped in a new filter just before taking the car to oilhammers shop.
Old June 11th, 2019, 05:21   #13
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattowntdi View Post
Sorry I didnít mean to start a debate. In all honesty Iím not nearly as knowledgeable in this area as you all obviously. I ran t6 in my old 1.6 and 1.5 vwís and all my old Mercedes diesels but after a cam replacement in my 04 pd I tend to lean a little to the cautious side with the newer vwís. I think for now I will just run the same oil I have been and do a little more research before changing it up. I donít mind at all paying more per oil change for the peace of mind of having a specíd oil for my application. Still, thank you all for chiming in and there has been some more great info offered up. Oilhammer, thank you for the comparison pic. That is crazy to think the only change made was emissions delete looking at those two filters.

IMO PD design (and oil requirement) has as much in common with a CR as it does an IDI from an 80 rabbit.

You def can't go wrong with 507 oil
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 05:56   #14
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily expect every deleted common rail to produce oil filters like in the photo. I did about 8 oil changes @ 10k miles post deletion on mine- and they all looked like the first filter in the photo. It almost looks as though the guy popped in a new filter just before taking the car to oilhammers shop.

That is not true. I personally do the services on this car, and I have seen similar results with all the deleted (but not power-modded) CR TDIs.

My own ALH has a pretty clean filter, too, and I run it 20k miles. Not THAT clean, but pretty close.

Last edited by oilhammer; June 11th, 2019 at 06:05.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 12:41   #15
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
That is not true. I personally do the services on this car, and I have seen similar results with all the deleted (but not power-modded) CR TDIs.
My own ALH has a pretty clean filter, too, and I run it 20k miles. Not THAT clean, but pretty close.

Well, my tdi experience is just with my car. But I have done a lot of oil changes on diesel engines without egr or dpf systems, and the oil is always black as night. The only exception was when I flushed out my powerstroke after replacing the oil pan. And that oil only had about an hour of run time on it. I'm not saying that a clean filter on a tdi full interval can't happen, just that it wasn't my experience.