www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old March 20th, 2019, 07:51   #1
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Default 2016 A6 Prestige - Ownership Log

After months of waiting out the winter, and some luck finding a 2016 A6 Prestige in Florett Silver it arrived on truck from the West Coast yesterday.

Got to drive it around for a bit, and the joy of driving one last year came right back. My buddy who sells used luxury cars was very impressed. He didn't quite understand why I was so adamant about buying this TDI, this year, and this trim level. He took it out for a spin and he gets it now.

I won't be taking it home yet. Its going to be a long 36 hour wait.

Today: Tint/Rebadging.
The car is going to have the windows tinted as well as rebadged. Not for everyone, but chrome is not for me. Front/Back audi emblems will be rebranded with black ones. The A6 and TDI badges will be removed all together to give the trunk a clean look.

Tomorrow: Tune
A surprise I was not expecting from my buddy. A close friend of his owns a performance shop which he took me over to visit. They have a technician in house that builds custom tunes. After talking to them they knew all about Malone/Unitronic/Apr/Kerma etc....they do the same thing but customize the tune for the car with the added feature of Dyno runs in shop. I'll have before and after stats once its done. The shop is 20 minutes from my house, just 10 minutes farther then the malone dealer I had planned to go to. I want to apologize to Owain at Malone as we were basically set to pull the trigger on the Malone Stage 2 but won't be moving forward on that. Trae send me a message if you are interested in the Q7 tune.

Future Plans:
TCU Tune - as others have mentioned there really isn't a tune for this transmission. The shop doesn't have one but has completed other TCU tunes. We are going to discuss and look into putting one together. This won't be a quick job might get done or not at all....more research needed.

Exhaust Tips - again, chrome bad, exhaust tips will be dipped to a dark gun metal or black once I have some free time and can leave the car for a day. This is what the finished product will look like. It plays well off the black undercarriage fender. Also picture includes the badge rebranding.
http://tinyurl.com/y3m2veho

RS6 Grille:
No easy project, can't pop the stock grille off and put the new one on. Have to remove the bottom fender. Also, add calibration of adaptive cruise control once finished?

Rims/Tires:
Winter tires a nice benefit in Chicago winters. Not sure if I will use the stock rims for winter and get a new summer pair. TBD.

More to come...

Last edited by Huskies2710; March 20th, 2019 at 10:20.
Huskies2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 09:49   #2
Owain@malonetuning

All good, best of luck with the mods Hopefully the shops familiar with newer EDC17s, definitely nice to have that kind of talent locally.
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2019, 16:08   #3
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
All good, best of luck with the mods Hopefully the shops familiar with newer EDC17s, definitely nice to have that kind of talent locally.
Update: Shop is keeping the car to make some final adjustments. Will be ready tomorrow by lunch. Everything is coming along well I've been told. They did write a TCU tune for it thus the extra time needed. Excited to find out all the details and see the Dyno information.

Backside shot for effect....
Old March 22nd, 2019, 16:17   #4
bahiaeternal
Veteran Member

How are the results?
bahiaeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2019, 11:52   #5
KevinGary
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 A6 TDI

We are all waiting on the edge of our chairs.
KevinGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2019, 07:46   #6
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGary View Post
We are all waiting on the edge of our chairs.
Apologize for the delay. Been living in the car between driving and tinkering all weekend. I received the car Friday and have been driving around sometimes for no reason at all. Have logged 200 miles.

Here are the dyno results. They did exactly what I asked as far as power. It was conservative in the fact it didn't send the emissions equipment (which I don't plant to delete) into a hissy fit and kept everything smooth across the powerband.

This measurement is to the wheels not engine power. It added 30 hp and 20 torque. Nothing huge, but paired with the TCU tune is where it becomes fun. Shifts into 3rd, 4th and 5th feel like they pull harder and resuck you back into your seat. Keeping the car in Dynamic mode and Sport, the revs always stay in a spot where I'm driving along regularly and decide to step on it the power is there instantly. No lag. Go back into Comfort mode and all is calm. Currently with spirited driving mixed between city and highway 50/50. I'm at 31.8 mpg. I will do a hand calculation when I fill up.

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0GA...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Huskies2710; March 25th, 2019 at 07:54.
Old March 25th, 2019, 08:27   #7
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

The nice thing is having extra power lower in the rpm band, in my opinion. That is where the extra fuel efficiency comes in, as well as the fun, and is the exact aspect that VW/Audi chose to reprogram out of the engine to cut their costs on emissions system repairs under the extended warranty. If it becomes clear that warranty claims are not being denied on flashed vehicles, Iíll be right there with you soon enough!

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 06:21   #8
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
The nice thing is having extra power lower in the rpm band, in my opinion. That is where the extra fuel efficiency comes in, as well as the fun, and is the exact aspect that VW/Audi chose to reprogram out of the engine to cut their costs on emissions system repairs under the extended warranty. If it becomes clear that warranty claims are not being denied on flashed vehicles, I’ll be right there with you soon enough!
I still have work and questions to get answered on this tune. Trying to get more information together.

Would a VAG Com tell me if there was a flash on the car? The shop said they hadn't had any previous TDI owners run into trouble with Audi and warranty being denied. They did say if something comes up I should come in first and they'll put it back to stock.

Also, the clean look on the back with the black badge came out well...personal opinion. I did not switch out the front. Unsure what to do as the grille itself has a lot of chrome besides the Audi rings itself.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old March 27th, 2019, 11:17   #9
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
The nice thing is having extra power lower in the rpm band, in my opinion. That is where the extra fuel efficiency comes in, as well as the fun, and is the exact aspect that VW/Audi chose to reprogram out of the engine to cut their costs on emissions system repairs under the extended warranty. If it becomes clear that warranty claims are not being denied on flashed vehicles, I’ll be right there with you soon enough!
This was the response I received further explaing in simpler terms to me, how the tune was improved with work to the TCU.

Here is what they told me:
"With the TCU upgrade we increased the torque limiter while increasing the speed and quality of each shift. When the car is in Dynamic-Sport mode, your tune will shift to the next gear quickly and smoothly minimizing the jerk motion when re-accelerating through shifts as you are used to. You are being pulled gear to gear instead of shifted in essence. Continuous power moving you forward at all times from quicker shifts and most aggressive in torque requested limiters. You now have minimal to no lag between gears. Hope this explains why you said you felt as if your being pulled harder in the higher gears.

As you asked, we kept the EGT/Turbo temps at a safe level to protect the car. Keeping the heat under control is why the power/torque increases were not as high they could have been for the ECU tune especially true when comparing to numbers you read online. Since your goal was to raise power, improve and smooth out shifting, while trying to protect emissions equipment (until you decide to delete, then we will really get some power!) We tried and I believe succeeded, to build a custom tune that produced the results you desired.

Last edited by Huskies2710; March 28th, 2019 at 10:42.
Old March 27th, 2019, 11:44   #10
DieselDeeds

Who did your TCU tune? Is it possible to get a remote TCU tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DieselDeeds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2019, 11:57   #11
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDeeds View Post
Who did your TCU tune? Is it possible to get a remote TCU tune?

APM Tuned in Villa Park, Illinois. I will gladly ask or you can give them a look and contact them. Ben is the rep who handles the day to day there.

I do not know how important having the car on site for Dyno runs is to the process. I believe the fine tuning and customizing of the ECU/TCU was done with numbers from the Dyno.

Feel free to send me a PM.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 06:00   #12
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Just got back from a long weekend. Drove from Chicago to Detroit with a stop off in two different cities. Started with a full tank and traveled 640 miles before we had one bar left till empty. ~33.3 mpgs for the trip.

I don't know how accurate the mpg gauge is after the tune but I was hovering just below 40 mpg for most of the ride to Detroit before having the wife do most of the driving on the way home.
Old April 8th, 2019, 16:57   #13
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Here are the more eye appealing and fun power numbers to the engine to look at.

Old April 8th, 2019, 16:57   #14
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Shop photo on the dyno.

Old April 9th, 2019, 17:22   #15
DieselDeeds

Thatís awesome! I donít know much about the tranny tune you had but do you think your transmission tune increased tq and hp?

DieselDeeds is online now   Reply With Quote