SeaFoam

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
I use Stanadyne fuel additive in my 3.0 TDI. I am wanting opinions on using seafoam every other scheduled maintenance interval. Any mechanics out there have an opinion on adding seafoam to a tank of diesel every 20,000 miles or so? Pros/Cons? Benefits for a diesel? Could it harm components? As always, Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We use BG products here. I doubt Seafoam would harm anything, but if it would actually do anything positive is probably difficult to say. I'd stick with Power Service, Liquimoly, Lubromoly, etc. if I was not using BG. And to be honest, a prophylactic approach while certainly not a bad thing, may not ever reveal it actually did anything one way or the other. Which is always the kicker.

I know for sure BG stuff can improve things if there is something it CAN improve, if that makes any sense.

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
Thanks Oilhammer. Are the BG products you use just fuel additives or a fuel system/intake service offered by mechanics where special equipment is required?

I get you on the it can improve things if there is something that can be approved.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are several things we do, but for the diesels it is just something you add to the fuel tank, no special equipment. It is the 245 Premium Fuel System Cleaner.

We also do some crankcase treatment, which is a two part setup, one can goes in the engine and run for a few minutes BEFORE the oil is drained, then another one goes in AFTER the oil is refilled. While this can be used in diesels, there really is not much of a need. It is best for the DI gas engines that often tax the oil as well as known oil-burners that can help clean the piston rings.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I use Stanadyne fuel additive in my 3.0 TDI. I am wanting opinions on using seafoam every other scheduled maintenance interval. Any mechanics out there have an opinion on adding seafoam to a tank of diesel every 20,000 miles or so? Pros/Cons? Benefits for a diesel? Could it harm components? As always, Thanks!
I use Lucas Diesel Deep Clean and Stanadyne whenever the local auto parts store has a buy one get one free special, which is quite often. Can't say for sure it helps but certainly doesn't hurt and seems like some relatively cheap insurance.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
+1 for BG and Seafoam products

My fam has used Seafoam for years. Ive witnessed seafoam working on many gummed up injectors and fuel systems. We only use it on the fuel systems every 6 months.

In crankcase we use BG MOA for the gassers and BG DOC for the diesels. Engines are happy, they run smoother, and start easier.

I also send off a oil sample to Blackstone labs at every oil change for analysis. Many times I have had responses like "oil looks great! Your metal per mile is minimal. There is 10k miles on this sample, next time you can go for 12k before change. Plenty of viscosity and oil life left."

FWIW, I just bought a 2006 5.9L Cummins. 85k on a rebuild. That engine builder recommended a pint of 2 stroke oil in every 25 gallon tank for lubrication and healthy injectors. I am weary of even trying that in the VW because they seem to be more finicky than the ol' cummins.

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
This is some great information, guys. Thank you! I ordered Some BG 245. I’ll use it at every oil change and stanadyne with each fill up (if I remember...it’s the wife’s car ever since she drove it, loved it, and now won’t give it back). Seafoam in the gasser, BG in the diesel. That’s the plan.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
With my '16 A6 that is tuned and deleted. I'm using ULSD #2 only. So I'm not getting the lubricity they say is good with biodiesel.

I started with the Stanadyne Fuel Injector cleaner which is supposed to help these common rail engines. I can say the smoke has dropped considerably to only noticeable when WOT. After that bottle every other fill up I put some Stanadyne Diesel Performance formula in. Find an ebay discount or buy in bulk to save some money. I don't feel so bad using it a little more often now.

Snake oil, who knows but my car has less smoke and i'm getting 28 mpg city and 38 mpg highway.

Anomious

TDI
2915, Q5 and 2015, Passat
With my '16 A6 that is tuned and deleted. I'm using ULSD #2 only. So I'm not getting the lubricity they say is good with biodiesel.

I started with the Stanadyne Fuel Injector cleaner which is supposed to help these common rail engines. I can say the smoke has dropped considerably to only noticeable when WOT. After that bottle every other fill up I put some Stanadyne Diesel Performance formula in. Find an ebay discount or buy in bulk to save some money. I don't feel so bad using it a little more often now.

Snake oil, who knows but my car has less smoke and i'm getting 28 mpg city and 38 mpg highway.
I am using PS in the white bottle.

Seafoam never did do anything for me. I will check out Stanadyne!

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
I use a Motul oil with BG DOC for the oil change and then 8-10oz(I don’t accurately measure, just a good eyeball) of Power Service grey bottle with every fuel fill-up.

I used the BG fuel injector cleaner when I got the car but no need to run that super often i was told.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
+1 for BG and Seafoam products
My fam has used Seafoam for years. Ive witnessed seafoam working on many gummed up injectors and fuel systems. We only use it on the fuel systems every 6 months.
In crankcase we use BG MOA for the gassers and BG DOC for the diesels. Engines are happy, they run smoother, and start easier.
I also send off a oil sample to Blackstone labs at every oil change for analysis. Many times I have had responses like "oil looks great! Your metal per mile is minimal. There is 10k miles on this sample, next time you can go for 12k before change. Plenty of viscosity and oil life left."
FWIW, I just bought a 2006 5.9L Cummins. 85k on a rebuild. That engine builder recommended a pint of 2 stroke oil in every 25 gallon tank for lubrication and healthy injectors. I am weary of even trying that in the VW because they seem to be more finicky than the ol' cummins.
i have tried Seafoam in the past when i owned a gasoline engine notice very little difference but not everybody has that result with seafoam it works better for some than others. i have used BG products in the past and they are above and beyond better than any off the shelf cheap additive i ever used i will be running some 244k or the newer 245k for Diesels if i can find someone that carries it. not that theres any problem with my TDI just as a maintenance thing im willing to use.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I bought a boat with an older 2-stroke outboard recently. Ran ok at speed but would not idle and would quit going into gear.

Marine mechanic suggested running seafoam through it, which killed it completely - wouldn't even start after half a tank of fuel with seafoam added.

I pulled the carbs and cleaned them with naptha and compressed air, motor runs like new now.

I assume the seafoam dislodged crud in the carbs which then moved elsewhere and made the problem worse.

Simon

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
so its been a while, but my 5.9 Cummins started throwing a glowplug light and 10 chimes. Then everytime I start the engine the light returns and it chimes 3 times. After looking up this error, I see many have replaced their injectors. Something to do with the return on the CR, the computer thinks there is a bad injector or 2, so in their infinite wisdom, Dodge added this error to keep the cummins from melting down like other diesels.

While searching for my truck I looked at an 06 with 299k miles on it. Only had the CP3 replaced once. Owner had been running seafoam religiously for the life of the truck every 3 months. Never had an injector issue, not one.

So after discovering this new injector error on my 06, I started putting in a bottle of seafoam for every tank. In about 5k miles, a new fuel filter, and running the Seafoam, my injector error is gone. Injectors are clean and truck is running a lot better.

BG makes a great product. Seafoam is also a great product.

You can check some of these tests out. This guy does a great job of comparing the chemicals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prXiQgVVnDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agAWXnT4-EQ

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
I don’t think that the stanadyne fuel performance additive is snake oil. I had a very strange sputtering issue on my 14 A6 TDI when cold. The car would sputter almost as if it wasn’t getting enough fuel when at low RPM randomly. It wasn’t the fuel filter as it was doing it even when coasting. Using stanadyne every fillup, the sputtering is almost completely gone. I very rarely feel it, maybe once a week. I would highly recommend using it. I’m not sure what the issue was but the fuel additive took care of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
I have a good friend who owns a diesel shop. Mainly they repair/replace/rebuild injectors. He was the one who got me into diesels (had a duramax, now the A6, JD Gator diesel and Toro zero turn diesel). He was the one that recommended Stanadyne. His claim was when stations starting selling Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, that much of the lubricity that the fuel system needs was removed (vs just the Low Sulfur Diesel). And that would lead to premature failure of the injectors. Stanadyne is supposed to replace the lost lubricity. I trust him and its a cheap insurance policy...my 2 cents. I started using the BG 245 with every oil change. Again, as an insurance policy. Hoping to take this vehicle to 500k miles. At 140k right now.

Anomious

TDI
2915, Q5 and 2015, Passat
Hi!! Stanadyne and PS in the white bottle are both good. My experience using Seafoam
with various engines and several cans is very disappointing. "snake oil"

AlaskanTDI

TDI
2012 Jetta
Seafood = snake oil!
Based on what??? Don’t just spout off with nothing to backup your ”opinion”.

I bought a 2007 Dodge Cummins with 135k miles on it a couple of years ago. When it started to get down to 40deg I couldn’t start it unless I had the block heater plugged in. And, obviously, the colder it got the longer it needed to be plugged in. I got told I had to replace the injectors. I’ve used Seafoam for years so I decided to give it a shot before I spent the thousands of dollars to replace the injectors. I followed Seafoam’s instructions/video on cleaning diesel injectors exactly and now it will start down to 20deg just fine. (I’m not sure how cold it can get because once we hit +20deg here in interior Alaska we plug in and just extend the time as it gets colder and colder) So you can’t tell me it is “snake oil”. I’ve used for years with some obvious positive effects on different motors from vehicles, power sports, lawnmowers, chainsaws, generator’s, etc… and have never had any negative effects. But the most noticeable is not having and issues and the ”unknown effects”- as in my vehicles and other engines run clean and smooth for years without issues and breakdowns. I have ‘97 Chevy 6.5 diesel still lumbering away with 250k miles on it and it’s original injectors! I have a 2006 Denali with 150k miles. Atv’s/ UTV’s, motorcycles , etc. All older and still going strong with a lot miles, most original parts. (outside of routine maintenance items) and religious Seafoam use following their instructions. I’ve seen badly maintained cars brought back to life…

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
Seafoam is a wonderful product in a world of bad fuel.