www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old September 19th, 2016, 09:24   #1
2002tdi

Fuel Economy: 38ish
Default Getting very serious about a common rail in my Tiguan

I picked up a blown up 2010 Tiguan awd fully loaded for my wife to drive once the buy back happens. So after i get it all back together it runs like a top but hits about 21 mpg on the highway. My wife loves it but we hate the fuel economy. The CCTA engine in it is big money. $4000 on the used side with the miles it has 103k (escpically since all the timing components are new along with a lot of other common failure parts). i work for a salvage yard so having access to buying a donor vehicle is no problem. i know as far as mounts and what not, it should go together. my biggest concerns are transmission, fuel tank, and ecu. i have searched, and came up with nothing. looks like no one has done it before. Anyone have an insight on doing this?
2002 jetta tdi 5 speed TD tuned 48.6 avg. SOLD
1999 beetle 5 speed whitbread built. SOLD
2002tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 09:05   #2
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002tdi View Post
I picked up a blown up 2010 Tiguan awd fully loaded for my wife to drive once the buy back happens. So after i get it all back together it runs like a top but hits about 21 mpg on the highway. My wife loves it but we hate the fuel economy. The CCTA engine in it is big money. $4000 on the used side with the miles it has 103k (escpically since all the timing components are new along with a lot of other common failure parts). i work for a salvage yard so having access to buying a donor vehicle is no problem. i know as far as mounts and what not, it should go together. my biggest concerns are transmission, fuel tank, and ecu. i have searched, and came up with nothing. looks like no one has done it before. Anyone have an insight on doing this?
I bought a 2013 Tiguan for my wife and have the same thoughts as you - the 2.0L CR TDI would be awesome in this car and one of these days I am sure I will do a swap like this.

The CR TDI would be pretty much a bolt in for the Tiguan. The electrical systems are pretty much the same as well, so you aren't going to have the no-power issue due to lack of CAN bus communications that the CR TDI would normally have as the Tiguan has the same electrical system as the MK5 Jetta CBAA. Get the DSG transmission reprogrammed for Diesel shift point and you would have a pretty much "factory" TDI in my opinion.
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 09:10   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

If you can get the details worked out, there will always be lots of donor Tiguans available with blown up engines since all they got here were the crap CCTA.

Just sucks that supposedly with the buyback of the evil CR TDIs that any scrapped are *supposed* to get the engine rendered useless.

Not a big Tiggy fan myself (not really a fan of the genre in general) but I think that model would have been infinitely better had they offered us a TDI option like they do everywhere else. That ship has of course sailed. And sunk.
Old September 21st, 2016, 08:35   #4
2002tdi

Im hoping that maybe the vehicles becoming "branded scrap titles" then i will be able to pick up an entire donor car inexpensive. As far as i know the tiguan didnt come with a dsg. its jsut a basic 6 speed auto. Has anyone done this swap at all? i think it would make an awesome winter prioject.
Old September 21st, 2016, 10:49   #5
PG 05 GLI

In for info as well.
PG 05 GLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:13   #6
2002tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG 05 GLI View Post
In for info as well.
hopefully someone has done/helped do one. I am super interested in completing it, just worried about what I am getting myself into.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 11:23   #7
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002tdi View Post
Im hoping that maybe the vehicles becoming "branded scrap titles" then i will be able to pick up an entire donor car inexpensive. As far as i know the tiguan didnt come with a dsg. its jsut a basic 6 speed auto. Has anyone done this swap at all? i think it would make an awesome winter prioject.
All Tiguan automatics are DSG, there are no torque converter style automatics.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 11:57   #8
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasenwerk View Post
All Tiguan automatics are DSG, there are no torque converter style automatics.

That is incorrect. I remove the Aisin 6sp 09G/M automatics out of them all the time to replace the blown out rear main seals. I am 100% certain of that. And I am 100% certain that all the crazy spaz out valve bodies I replace in the Aisin automatics are also often in Tiguans.

Now there may be some newer ones that use the DSG, not sure. But I can tell you at least through 2012 they used the Aisin, because I have many Tiggy customers with 2008-12 models that come through here, and the lion's share of them are 2-pedal versions.

What sucks about removing the Aisin from the Tiguan is that they have an external ATF cooler that has this idiotic contraption with pipes and an adapto-flange atop the rear part of the transmission and all that nonsense is in the way of getting the bellhouse bolts out. The Jetta/Golf/Beetle with that trans just has the cooler back on the trans with coolant hoses going to it, like the 02E, 01M, etc. The B6 Passat and CC use an external cooler but it is less asanine of an arrangement as it sits off to the side up high near the battery. Although the pipe and adapto-flange is similar to the Tiguan. The Aisins also anger me in that their driveaxles are virtually impossible to remove from the transmission, so you either just leave them hang and take them out with the trans, OR you cut the big clamp on the inner boot and slide the plunge joint out and leave the stump in the trans and then slide it back together when done with a new clamp. But then the clamp can be a pain to crimp, especially on the driver's side. Argh, I've done so many of those stupid rear main seals.

Last edited by oilhammer; September 22nd, 2016 at 12:07.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 12:53   #9
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

Location: 3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachusetts

Quote:
you aren't going to have the no-power issue due to lack of CAN bus communications that the CR TDI would normally have
What if I told you I was about to reveal THE solution to this problem? Commonrail swaps for Everyone soon!
GTiTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 12:59   #10
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiTDi View Post
What if I told you I was about to reveal THE solution to this problem? Commonrail swaps for Everyone soon!
Guess that makes about three of us at this moment.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 13:03   #11
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

Location: 3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachusetts

Quote:
I've been holding back since June
GTiTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 13:21   #12
PG 05 GLI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiTDi View Post
I've been holding back since June
Keeping the 4-motion or fwd?
PG 05 GLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 06:02   #13
2002tdi

Keeping the 4-Motion. i want to keep it as stock as can be. Oil hammer... do you think one of these transmissions will hold up to everyday driving of a tdi? also wonder if I am going to have flex plate/ torque converter issues.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 06:08   #14
oilhammer

I think the Aisin is a reasonably decent transmission, so long as you can get the engine and transmission controllers to work with one another. Since they didn't use (at least not in our market) the transverse Aisin with anything but a gasoline engine I don't know what would be involved.

I am dealing with a similar problem with putting a BHW into my 4mo AWM B5, and they both use the same basic ZF transmission.

And that would be the big issue, is that the programming to make the best use of the engine's power is very different from a CJAA diesel to the CCTA gas. Even though both are 16v 2.0L turbo direct injected engines. At the same RPMs the diesel is starting to make a huge nose dive, the CCTA gets a second wind and starts to REALLY come alive.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 06:55   #15
2002tdi

The whole cluster/IMMO kind of worries me also, but then again, i think i can have it all disabled and should be good on that part. I wonder if I can give APR, Malone, whomever a call and see what they think about doing this. at least getting the PCM to communicate with the rest of the modules. Do the factory tig transmissions use a seperate TCM, or is it built into the engine computer. that might also be an issue, because I believe that the dsg uses a internal tcm (mechatronics) or correct me if I am wrong please.