EA288 - A diesel way forward?

BarryG20

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
In regards to post 114 above the goodwill incentive it is $500 visa card good anywhere and another $500 card good at the dealer only. Once received you have to go to the dealer to get them activated. It is supposed to be a goodwill gesture only according to the website and in no way limits whatever happens with the resulting fix in other words if you take the goodwill you have not signed away any of your future rights in regard to the car or future fixes. IIRC it also includes a 3 year period of roadside assistance. I signed up a couple weeks ago said it would be approx. 4 weeks before I see the cards we shall see.

https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/goodwill_package/

Now lets see if I can figure this out If I use the $500 use anywhere card I use it for fuel that gets me 218 gallons of fuel at 2.29 gal
218 gals of fuel at say 40mpg (my consistent mixed use driving nets me 43-44 mpg hand calculated) equals 8720 miles for the 2015's current estimates are 3mpg hit to mileage
so 8720 miles divided by 3 equals 2906 so that means if I use that to make up for the 3mpg loss over the next 2906 gallons of fuel that covers just over 116000 miles (2906*40). If I use the other dealer card for normal maintenance that I would have otherwise had to pay for I get another 116000 miles worth of fuel reimbursement for a total of 232000 miles. That's a start in the right direction. Granted that does not take into account performance loss, time lost going to dealer for card activation as well as the time lost to take car to dealer to get the car up to epa snuff , potential lost resale value, increased def fluid use etc
I guess until they have a fix and the real world results are in all anyone is doing is speculating including myself.

LongEz

TDI
None yet
This thread has been dead for a while, but a hopeful post was made in the TDi Emissions monster thread. Does anybody else have any good news?

"Hearsay update:

My buddy has been waiting to get a 16 TDI GSW since they were announced. His dealer contact called him and told him they get cleared on 12/27....

Just passing on the rumor I was told."

Chewyeti

TDI
15 GSW
This thread has been dead for a while, but a hopeful post was made in the TDi Emissions monster thread. Does anybody else have any good news?

"Hearsay update:

My buddy has been waiting to get a 16 TDI GSW since they were announced. His dealer contact called him and told him they get cleared on 12/27....

Just passing on the rumor I was told."
And it will only take 10 days to see if my buddy or his contact are full of **** :p

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
Any news yet on fixes for the 15/16 Mk7's and how (much) they're effected?

When they're going to start selling 16's?

Anything...?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
NFW

the US justice department is suing VW in civil court. don't hold your breath.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
The suit is just an indication that VW has not come up with (and submitted) a solution acceptable to the EPA.

and this answers the question related to when the models on hold will be available for sale.

the idea that government is separate from the citizens is political and not helpful to civil discussion of the issues.

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
NFW

the US justice department is suing VW in civil court. don't hold your breath.
A slightly longer wait suits me just fine actually as I'm not planning to buy for like 9+ months.

But the absolute dearth of information is a bit puzzling/concerning given that it will take time for VW to present a solution, get it approved, implement it etc. And that's with smooth sailing re: the assorted government agencies. Any push-back, changes, failed testing etc is going to stretch that even further...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The movie will be a good use of an hour or so.

(if the details get out-- who said what when, including whatever VW offered to do late last year..)

a while ago, I was considering purchase of a new Golf TDI Wagon, but hey, the XM radio in my 09 JSW still works, and I need to get the money's worth from my lifetime subscription. it only has 160k on it.

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
And if they decided to continue selling small diesel cars in the USA....
*Canada for me...but yes.

If I can't get a GSW TDI, I honestly don't know what my next car will be. It's really the only vehicle that fits my needs. :(

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I recently looked at a 328d, but it has, in my opinion, three strikes. AWD only without special order here, automatic only, and run-flat tires. All no-go items. And the sedan they had in the showroom was $49K, so that was a bit hard to swallow, too. I'll wait for VW.

exbauer

TDI
MK7 Golf
Not sure if they offer it in Canada. But, the Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel? It's pricey and the horrible Jeep reliability.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I think the TDI brand, at least in small vehicles is going to come to an end.
Yeah, I'm done with VW after my current car. Their behavior has been arrogant and ****ty.

I'll just drive my 2015 for 7 years or so. My prediction is that VW doesn't get to sell any more TDIs and has to sell them abroad, which is what I'd do if I were them... just bring them back to Europe and sell them there.

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
Yeah, I'm done with VW after my current car. Their behavior has been arrogant and ****ty.
I'll just drive my 2015 for 7 years or so. My prediction is that VW doesn't get to sell any more TDIs and has to sell them abroad, which is what I'd do if I were them... just bring them back to Europe and sell them there.
South America would probably be more likely. I hope it doesn't come to that.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
This isnt VWs first rodeo with the EPA and it wont be the last

There were very significant battles in the mid 2000's between MB/VW and the EPA over emmision control solutions that the EPA would accept....the EPA kicked/screamed/whined over urea treatment and a couple years later this is the schema that we see implemented in everything from heavy trucks to light passenger vehicles

I would be very surprised if VW pulled diesel from the US...at worst I could see a return to VW not doing business in a number of CARB states and returning to the same business model that existed up until end of sales for 2006 MKV

The EA288 has been out in EU since 2012 and in browsing through UK VW sites I'm having trouble finding any real issues/complaints with these engines

I'm pretty excited about my MkVII although it means I'm going to be putting my PD up for sale soon and give up on my intent to drive it to 500k.....only 200k to go

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/vo...seat-models-are-fitted-with-the-ea288-engine/

Last edited:

ottobon100

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI DSG
"goodwill"?

I received and activated my goodwill cards this week. It only took a few minutes to activate the cards at my VW dealership.
Received mine and activated it today. The VISA debit card must be used on actual expenditures. I thought I could just deposit it in my bank. NO. So I bought a few things at the grocery store and hit the key to get cash back. Worth a try. NO. Get money from an ATM? NO. So less than 12 months to spend it. Like others I'm sure I'll find a way and will make sure I spend every penny. VW I'm sure is counting on not everyone doing so. As to the other "dealer" $500 guess I'll have my tires rotated and balanced once a week over the next 11 months until it is gone. Bought my car just prior to all this hitting the fan and the first "service" is free so I won't need it for anything service connected before it expires and I don't need VW floor mats, t-shirt, hat, key ring, etc. Of course I could buy a service plan but I'm not sure I'm going to hold on to the car even though I am currently happy with it. Just venting a little!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I find the gyrations people are going through with these cards a bit amusing. My '12 Golf is gone, but if it wasn't I'd simply use the debit card instead of the Visa I use for all my purchases until the money is gone. And I'd probably buy a set of tires for one of my cars with the dealer card. Pretty simple.

ottobon100

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI DSG
Idea!

And I'd probably buy a set of tires for one of my cars with the dealer card. Pretty simple.
. Brilliant! I'll use the "dealer" card for two tires from the VW dealer for the wife's Benz and use the VISA for the other two from Costco! My VW is only six months old with a tad over 7k miles on it. Don't see it needing anything for quite some time. By the way we are very happy with it. Quality little car and the exceptional fuel economy is a bonus.

Last edited:

bmwednova

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Found out this weekend that TDIs as tradeins are toxic at other dealers. Thanks VW, you lied, sold cars you knew weren't legal and left us holding the bag. No VWs ever again -- if they go bankrupt because of this, it would serve them right.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Of course they are. It's a buyer's market. Are you selling your '15? If not why does it matter?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
The best solution at this point is to ride this out. If you have a TDI, especially one that uses DEF, I would wait.

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
The best solution at this point is to ride this out. If you have a TDI, especially one that uses DEF, I would wait.
It's really the best thing to do regardless of the year if you are impacted by this. So far I am happy with how it's being handled. VW has admitted fault and given me $1,000 for my trouble. I still have the same car I purchased, and it's given me 0 issues in 14k miles. I really like this car regardless of being lied to about it being "clean".

My only issue at this point is loss of resale, and the fact there isn't really another VW I want except for maybe a Golf R. I am beginning to think the bean counters (I am one) are going to or already have recommended a buyout for everyone in the US. We are a litigious society here, and there is too much at risk for them. I think even if the E288 is an easy fix they will still offer it. How many owners will sue anyways even if they have a fix? By the time they litigate and pay out the buyout will have been cheaper.

I'm still hoping for a fix that keeps my car the way it is and a check to compensate a bit for resale. If not a sweetheart deal on an R will work for me. :)