www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old January 24th, 2008, 06:40   #346
vwcampin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopete
Good idea. I'll try it. How many miles do you have on your system?

I do run on diesel for about 3-5 miles before shutdown. What i thin i am seeing in past few days is each day and have noticed in past when running out of WVO is cold starting improves with more driving on the (bio)diesel. But i'll investigate the cross contamination angle.

thanks
I am still in the early stages on my Jetta. Only at about 7-8000 miles. The reason I mentioned it is that when I first installed my system and had that "I want to drive on WVO as much as possible" mentality, I tried the 15 second purge and could feel a difference in how it started. Now I never switch until the car is up to normal operating temps(barring this morning, but that's another post) and and do a 30 second purge with a short drive on diesel when shutting down.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:53   #347
Chasee
Self-Exiled SPV, Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcampin
I am still in the early stages on my Jetta. Only at about 7-8000 miles. The reason I mentioned it is that when I first installed my system and had that "I want to drive on WVO as much as possible" mentality, I tried the 15 second purge and could feel a difference in how it started. Now I never switch until the car is up to normal operating temps(barring this morning, but that's another post) and and do a 30 second purge with a short drive on diesel when shutting down.
Wait, so you're saying that you switched to WVO right after start-up, not waiting for the system to fully heat up?
Chasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:12   #348
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

I think he's saying he tried that "once".
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:17   #349
biopete
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcampin
Cool. Yeah, i know the feeling. I have tried to avoid that with this car. Driving on WVO is so much fun. I thought a 15 second purge meaning running diesel through veg supply line and then a mile or two drive time on diesel afterwards was enough to purg the engine. But 18,000 total miles of that (13,000) on WVO proves it is not. This weekend i am putting in site filter and actually seeing how long it takes for WVO to clear out of IP. Seeing how fast these lift pump move fuel and how fast i can dump my diesel into my wvo tank, i guessed 15 seconds was plenty. It may be that injectors need to be purged good.

Well, it is official, My car is definitely easier to start after running for a few days on B20. My wvo use was clogging the injectors is the hypothesis. My wife even mentioned that it has been easier to start the last few days. This morning it was 29 F and it cranked in one short glow right away. I flipped to veg after warming up real good today and purged 30 full seconds and drove 5 miles on diesel before stopping. I'll see how easy it is to start after work.

I like Chasee's method of putting diesel purge into new veg filter every time. I still have hope i can get away with not getting elsbett injectors for a while.
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:59   #350
vwcampin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasee
Wait, so you're saying that you switched to WVO right after start-up, not waiting for the system to fully heat up?
Chasee, it was about a mile after start up, but the temp gauge was about a 1/4 of the way up since I had the Frostheater plugged in. I agree, it is not ideal, but at that point it seemed like the better option rather than being stuck on the side of the road in -14F temps. I would never recommend doing that and it was only done in an emergency setting. I need to change my oil anyway.
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:04   #351
Guipo

Fuel Economy: 39 mpg
Default to get in on a old conversation

I used to own a B4, and we did a group timing belt day. Some guy showed up and started asking the mechanic all these questions about why his TDI would just die and not work. The Mechanic asked, have you been running WVO? The guy said yes, and the Mechanic basically called him dumb, and he needs a new pump. It was around a 2005 Jetta. That was interesting to see.

Guipo
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:26   #352
Chasee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guipo
I used to own a B4, and we did a group timing belt day. Some guy showed up and started asking the mechanic all these questions about why his TDI would just die and not work. The Mechanic asked, have you been running WVO? The guy said yes, and the Mechanic basically called him dumb, and he needs a new pump. It was around a 2005 Jetta. That was interesting to see.

Guipo
Wow, that is interesting! The mech can just magically ascertain that he needs a new pump (which pump exactly?) without ever seeing the car. That's impressive, most impressive.
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:30   #353
TDICult
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guipo

Guipo
I was in a garage like that ~8 weeks ago. Our company put one of our cars in for repair as the engine was vibrating. Mechanic told him he need a new engine and the quote was sent through to our company, it was nearly authorised until I went down to garage and pointed out that it only need a new engine mount.

The account was removed from the garage. Mechanics like that should be shot.
TDICult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:54   #354
VocalVirgo
Veteran Member

I have been looking into, and asking A LOT of questions about converting and running WVO in my 2000 Golf TDI. I found a place in Silverlake, CA, that is kind of famous for their conversions of Diesels to WVO. I got the scoop from the mechanic there who was very knowledgeable. But I needed to do a lot of homework.... some of it on this site. I saw this thread, but it was started in 2006 and was 24 pages long. Um, I have done a few days worth of reading, lol. I also saw another Golf parked at the gym where I workout, that sported "WVO" Bumper-Stickers so I left a note on the car to see if the owner would call me and tell me her experience running WVO in her TDI. That, I will post tomorrow after I speak with her. I have also nailed down a supply of WVO from my friends restaurant. So here's why I am telling you all this: Minus the possibility of this girl with the other Golf TDI telling me that it works awesome and has been doing it for years and years problem free- this no longer sounds like a great idea. Not just from this forum, but lot's of others are saying it's a bad idea. There seems to be a lot of evidence of gumming, injector and pump failures and much more. As a guy who can not afford a few Grand to repair something that may very well go wrong down the line because of the WVO conversion, I am no longer willing to do it. And I was SO "Gung-Ho!" about it. As you can see by my long and detailed post, I have been doing week's of research. But I have decided against it- free fuel (with some labor) or not. I want to drive my car until it has 500,000 miles or more. I don't think I'll get there if I switch.
However, I will post what this nice girl tells me tomorrow. And I'm also going to call my mechanic and ask him what he thinks. He's a super good guy and honest, so he won't say "it's ok" if it's not.

I'll update tomorrow.
Thanks for reading, and thanks everyone for all the posts on this subject.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:46   #355
philngrayce
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/43/49 ('02 Jetta 5 sp)

VocalVirgo, If you have those misgivings, you probably should not convert to WVO. But don't give up your interest.

One of the important considerations today is oil availabliity - can you get it in your area, or is it all taken already?

With the current state of WVO research, it is pretty clear that you can convert a TDI to run on WVO and expect it to run for a very long time, likely just as long as running on diesel (though nobody knows for sure). It does require some work, some careful attention to details and a good quality conversion.

I've said many times that money alone is not the reason to convert. Just the same, over the long run you will not save enough to buy a new engine - you will save enough to buy a new car.
philngrayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:57   #356
Chasee

Vocal,

That's exactly what this forum is for: you read a load of other opinions and then form your own. If you need the extra push, I push against, only because you are already leaning that way. Don't feel bad, feel good! You made an informed decision...something that is exceedingly rare these days.
Old May 15th, 2008, 22:25   #357
MiksTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41

I didn't read through the whole thing. I am at 267k miles and I have over 175k of it on WVO. My car runs great! Not a problem yet. I take care of my car. I have the Greasecar kit with minor improved mods. Installed by myself.
Bosch T4 Nozzles, RC4, 11mm I/P, EMT VT3 Hybrid 1756 turbo, 3 Bar MAP, Upsolute FMIC, OMI, South Bend Stage 2 Enduro clutch kit, AWE boost & Egt gauges, Dub Stop HIDs, Race pipe, 2.5" Full SS Exhaust, Peloquin LSD, Hidden Hitch, .658 5th gear swap, Old Navy CCV & Limo Tint! MiksTDI@Gmail.com
MiksTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:12   #358
Chasee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiksTDI
I didn't read through the whole thing. I am at 267k miles and I have over 175k of it on WVO. My car runs great! Not a problem yet. I take care of my car. I have the Greasecar kit with minor improved mods. Installed by myself.
Holy crap, you totally put me to shame!

Please, if you could, post a new thread summarizing your experience. Kind of something like I did back with this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...29&postcount=1
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:22   #359
kingkos
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8L/100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiksTDI
wow...nice....If you dont have time to do a detailed report, at least provide a brief summary of your experiences, and recommendations.

Steve

kingkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 23:36   #360
MiksTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41

You will have to give me some time to think of the little problems and quirks of the system. I barely have time to write this. We have triplets and I work on the Jettas.
Bosch T4 Nozzles, RC4, 11mm I/P, EMT VT3 Hybrid 1756 turbo, 3 Bar MAP, Upsolute FMIC, OMI, South Bend Stage 2 Enduro clutch kit, AWE boost & Egt gauges, Dub Stop HIDs, Race pipe, 2.5" Full SS Exhaust, Peloquin LSD, Hidden Hitch, .658 5th gear swap, Old Navy CCV & Limo Tint! MiksTDI@Gmail.com
MiksTDI is offline   Reply With Quote