Manual transmission oil, which to choose

Vipaz

TDI
Golf MK4 1.9 81kw
Hey all, so maybe similar questions have been already answered but I still can't find what I'm looking for. So I have golf iv 1.9tdi 81kw 1998, with 5 gear manual gearbox. I want to change gearbox oil and I already found that I should use 75w90 oil. Now I only need to decide which oil brand to buy cause I have only few choices in my local area. So here are my choices:
1. https://www.kroon-oil.com/en/catalogue/product/752/syngear-75w-90/47/
2. https://partsfinder.bilsteingroup.com/en/article/febi/40580
3. http://pds.q8research.com/sheetcommercialpdf.php?id=763&taal=E
Which of these 3 I should buy? Kroon oil seems to be semi-synthetic and other two fully synthetic, does that matter? And what about that GL4 and GL5 meaning?

99_TDI

TDI
1999 mk4 ALH & 2005.5 mk5 BRM
There’s a big debate on whether GL5 will work. Technically your car calls for GL4, but this is because GL5 didn’t exist at the time.

I bought Red Line MT90 which is a GL4 oil just to be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vipaz

TDI
Golf MK4 1.9 81kw
There’s a big debate on whether GL5 will work. Technically your car calls for GL4, but this is because GL5 didn’t exist at the time.

I bought Red Line MT90 which is a GL4 oil just to be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So maybe Kroon oil which is API GL4/5 will be good? Cause other two says only GL5

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
no they had GL5 and even GL6 in the 50s

anything will work, your trans doesn't see 200 degree oil temps whereas in a truck trans it'll eat the yellow metals at that temperature, in an unsynchronized box the gl5 also tends to be less forgiving of even higher temperatures, turning into carbon-y sludge at a lower temp

being that it gets real cold up here I run thin MTF as it is a lot nicer on the synchros when it is 30 below air temps
you can even run normal motor oil, as there are no hypoids that need any sort of EP additives

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
I'd stick with a GL4, not a GL4/5 if you can.
We can debate it endlessly, and probably still will, but the safest bet is to stick GL4.

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
Fuchs is a good brand to my knowledge. Meets GL-4 and a number of VW specs- can't remember which one applies to our vehicles

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Valvoline MTF Synchromesh. Meets VW spec.

Duke_962

TDI
2003 jetta 5spd
Synchromesh in mine after I got it and the 3-4 grind went away and the car shifts like new. About to change it again after 75 k just because t worked good and bought me rebuild time

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
GL5 will eat synchros. Redline MT90 in both of mine. Soon to be taking up residence in my NV5600 as well...:)
cheers,
Douglas

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Pennzoil or Valvoline Sycromesh works great.

That's what I've been using and encouraging others locally to do the same.

I put the Pennzoil Sycronmesh in my Vanagon Tranny ... shifts great!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'm sure they stock both at the local fleet farm in lithuania.
Oh, no that store doesn't extend over there... Menards then.
Oh wait.

(which is to note how he's got a few brands of oil definitely not commonly seen here listed, so recommending american oil brands isn't much help)

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
DO NOT put GL-5 (or anything with a GL-5 rating, irrespective of what else is on the label) in any MTX unless the manufacturer specifically recommends it -- and VW does NOT.

It will destroy your synchros.