www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old May 31st, 2019, 08:34   #16
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bell View Post
If I'm right and the X part is an unimproved, reconditioned U part, no recoding may be necessary. And the $400 price would not reflect the core credit. The availability of the X part suggests the U is no longer available, regardless of whether its still listed.

I thought each electrionic device now is vin tied through the control protection that needs dealer or ODIS to have the CANBUS accept the new component?

Thus the dealer or someone with ODIS needs to "program" it.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2019, 18:10   #17
Jedadiah
Veteran Member

My issue turned out to be that the main infotainment unit in my glove box was at fault and not the display. The dealership replaced the "brain" under warranty.

Were it to die outside of warranty, I guess I'd be looking for a MIB2 upgrade of some sort, as the MIB1 parts would be just as expensive.

I planned on scanning the car with VCDS while it was acting up, but was too busy to do so. I wonder if a dealership would also charge extra to program (remove cp and code to car) for a new OE replacement outside of warranty.

At any rate, it had me wondering what a MIB2 upgrade would cost/entail if I needed to do so outside of warranty, and left me with one question. I know the glove box unit has CP, but does the display also have it?

I've seen a few spots where you can buy a "brain" itself with CP removed, but that would be kinda of pointless if I also had to remove it from an Ebay or junk yard-sourced display as well.
Jedadiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 23:14   #18
Nuje
Veteran Member

From what I gleaned from my install (MIB2, and then a year later, the AID), the display is pretty much just a "dumb" monitor - doesn't really factor into the CP. I may be wrong and maybe it's partnered with the MIB2 head unit.

Regarding your question of whether the dealer would charge you for removing CP....unless you have compromising information on them, I'd suggest "yes". And that's assuming you could get the to do it. Some dealers will balk at doing something "off-book" like that.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, DSG tune
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2019, 23:18   #19
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

I also have the flickering screen which started this morning. I'll check connections in the glove box and see if that makes a difference. The flickering happens with the reverse camera on, as well as with audio info displays. It's maddening to even leave the radio on. Assuming it's still on warranty [25k miles, new in Sept, 2017]
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 23:33   #20
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

I've messed around a bit in the glove box and no change or improvement. As much as I avoid it, dlr appointment a week away. I'll remove the Polar unit before I take it in. As I've looked at it more carefully, it's only the lower half of the screen that is jumpy, but it is continuous. The appointment writer was being nice to let me know that warranty coverage is vague at best. I'll hit them hard if they want me to pay for it, since I owe more on the car to VW credit than it's worth. Yeah, that was intentional.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote