www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old May 29th, 2019, 14:34   #1
bmwM5power
Veteran Member

Default TDI on GTI springs

for those of you who might wonder how TDI looks on GTI springs, here you go

bmwM5power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 14:53   #2
ESmith813

Looks good! Correct me if I'm wrong, but GTI springs will fit a wagon too, right?

How noticeable is the ride difference?
ESmith813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 16:05   #3
bmwM5power
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESmith813 View Post
Looks good! Correct me if I'm wrong, but GTI springs will fit a wagon too, right?

How noticeable is the ride difference?
yes, they will. they might even fit better because wagon is slightly heavier in the back, and i wish these springs were a tad lower in the rear on golf. The ride didnt change significantly, stock shocks, maybe a little stiffer and less roll, i think the car got a little more nimble when manuevering, but it might me in my head as well. Aestetically it got better in my opinion. It is a good alternative to VW DG springs, especially if you can get them for free

Last edited by bmwM5power; May 29th, 2019 at 16:09.
Old May 29th, 2019, 19:59   #4
Martin Winterkorn

Can anyone speak to putting Alltrack springs on a normal Golf (non-sportwagen). I read this on ID Parts. "This kit can be installed on a normal Golf, however, we do not have any testing data for that, so at this point we are recommending this kit ONLY for Golf Sportwagen models. We are working on a normal Golf lift kit as quickly as possible."

Does anyone have any experience and possibly pics?
Old May 30th, 2019, 13:39   #5
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

This looks good! Agreed the wagon may actually come out more even. H&Rs are a bit lower but not much so this is a milder drop than that and possibly easier on the stock struts.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 15:01   #6
alext91
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwM5power View Post
for those of you who might wonder how TDI looks on GTI springs, here you go

Looks good! These fit even though the TDIs have the torsion beam rear? I wasn't aware this was a direct swap. This is springs only and not dampers? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
1996 Yamaha FZR 600 (Sold)
alext91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 15:43   #7
bmwM5power
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alext91 View Post
Looks good! These fit even though the TDIs have the torsion beam rear? I wasn't aware this was a direct swap. This is springs only and not dampers? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
i was thinking the same thing about the IRS vs torsion beam at first, but looking at the GTI crowd that is widely using the Driver Gear springs 5G4-071-677-E , which is technically designed for Golf and not the GTI, it made me believe there no really significant difference in them.
Yes these are on stock dampers, i wish i could use the GTI struts, but they are 55mm in diameter vs 50mm on Golf, you could technically use them if you swap out the knuckles i guess

Last edited by bmwM5power; May 30th, 2019 at 15:47.
Old May 30th, 2019, 15:54   #8
CGR
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52.5/41/38.5

The rear of my Golf on stock shocks and springs was 27 1/4" ground to fender. The GTI springs and stock shocks measured 26 3/4" ground to fender. When I switched to Koni Sports with the GTI springs, it dropped to 26 1/2" ground to fender. I tried the H&R sports with the Koni's and it dropped to 25 3/8", far too much for me and I immediately sent them back.

I like the ride on the GTI springs better with both stock shocks and the Koni's. The stock TDI springs are horrible to me, the rear end bounces around entirely too much. The GTI springs are firmer for sure, there is a decreas in body roll and an increase in turn in response similar to the effect of adding a rear sway bar.

I find the Koni's to be more comfortable than the stock shocks, but still maybe a little too much rebound. I want to try some Koni Special active on the rear end next to see if I can smooth the ride out a little more.

I haven't done the front yet, hopefully next week. I'll be putting in GTI springs and Koni Sports.
2002 Golf 6SP DRW, 293K, RC3Euro, Sprint520's, Boost Guage, Boost Valve, DG Racepipe, Koni Yellow F, Koni Red R, VW GLI SS 2B/2W F, Stock Golf Springs R, Neuspeed 28mm RSB full stiff, Montreal II 16" wheels and Conti Extreme contact DWS 205-55-16. GLI Heated Sport Seats and interior.
2003 Chevy crew cab Duramax. 180k

Last edited by CGR; May 30th, 2019 at 17:15.
CGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 17:06   #9
CGR
Veteran Member

I've also tested rear springs from

MK7 Golf R, 27" GTF. Very rigid with almost no suspension travel at all.

MK4 Golf TDI, 26 3/8" GTF. I did a 600 mile round trip Tuesday from Pittsburgh to Scranton PA on the MK4 Golf spring and it is the most comfortable of them all. It's also the softest. It was great on most conditions, but too soft on the big bumps and rippled pavement on I80. It crashed down too much on to the Konis and hit pretty hard, I think the Koni's have too much rebound for the soft spring. I have the two middle sections of the bumpstops removed so I don't think I was hitting them. I hauled a transfer case for my Duramax back from Scranton and it dropped the rear end down to 25 7/8" - 26". I haul stuff in the hatch pretty regularly so I think these will be too soft.

MK4 Jetta/GLI, 26 1/2" GTF. The GLI ran the same rear springs as a standard Jetta in the MK4's I believe, three green and one silver or white. They are faded a little.

I currently have the MK4 Jetta spring in, it's a more comfortable ride than the GTI spring with the same ride height.

If I get some Koni Special Actives to try, I will test the GTI, and both Mk4 springs with them to see what I like best.

I plan on putting a Neuspeed rear sway bar on also.
2002 Golf 6SP DRW, 293K, RC3Euro, Sprint520's, Boost Guage, Boost Valve, DG Racepipe, Koni Yellow F, Koni Red R, VW GLI SS 2B/2W F, Stock Golf Springs R, Neuspeed 28mm RSB full stiff, Montreal II 16" wheels and Conti Extreme contact DWS 205-55-16. GLI Heated Sport Seats and interior.

Last edited by CGR; May 30th, 2019 at 17:58.
Old May 30th, 2019, 17:31   #10
bmwM5power
Veteran Member

i should try the gli or mk4 standard jetta springs....didnt think of that, plus theyre "designed" for the torsion beam
Old May 30th, 2019, 17:48   #11
CGR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwM5power View Post
plus theyre "designed" for the torsion beam

Exactly.
Old June 4th, 2019, 13:15   #12
Martin Winterkorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGR View Post
Exactly.
Would these be the spring set your referring to that are designed to go with a rear torsion setup?

IDParts
Old June 4th, 2019, 16:14   #13
CGR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Winterkorn View Post
Would these be the spring set your referring to that are designed to go with a rear torsion setup?

IDParts

I'm referring to all MK4 springs. MK4 Golf's, GTI's, Jetta's, GLI's, and Jetta wagons all had a torsion beam rear suspension so all the springs from the MK4's are designed to work with the torsion beam. The R32 might be an exception, I don't know if it had a torsion beam or IRS. The springs have a different poundage rating to them depending on what car they came out of. The Golf springs are the softest, and the Jetta Wagon the firmest. The GTI's are lower I believe, and the GLI springs I have match the same paint code that was in some stock Jetta's.

The rear springs in my Golf currently are Jetta sedan springs with a paint code of 3 Green and 1 Silver.

The springs are all just linear coil springs of diffent firmness levels so it's trial and error to see what works best for your application. I want to try some GTI springs, they should be firmer than my stock TDI Golf springs, and softer than the Jetta/GLI springs I'm running now.

I just ordered a set of rear Koni Special Actives from Peter to try with the rear MK7 GTI, and MK4 Jetta springs I have.